The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

39 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Surprised to see Kieran Millar being punted by you guys. I always thought he looked a pretty decent player. A non-goalscoring defensively minded midfielder is not something we've been short on in recent years - but I wouldn't be averse to seeing him in a Sons top next season. Same goes for Kurtis Roberts. I had hoped we'd be after him last summer.

Millar, Roberts and Eckersley would do a turn for most teams in this league. 

Don't think most fans would have been sorry to see him leave at the end of the 18/19 season but he stepped up last season (possibly helped by playing in a better team overall) and became a mainstay in the midfield. I think he was also helped by playing in a more natural holding midfield position whereas before he would often be our most advanced midfielder (even at times early last season TBF). He is limited in terms of going forward - very rarely ventures into the opposing half or has a shot on goal let alone score though I think he slightly improved that part of his game last season as well. I wouldn’t say he’s a great passer in terms of starting attacking moves or bringing the ball forward from defence but he’s tidy enough. 

I am surprised we’ve let him go so I can only assume the management team have identified a better player to play in that holding midfield position. 

Scott Gallacher would also be a decent enough goalie for any team in this league but he’s going to Arbroath apparently. 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think Roberts is vastly overrated by some of our fans. I liked him but I think him being our only proper attack minded midfielder (and us missing a certain dynamism in midfield) led to many thinking he was better than he was. As for Millar I really liked him, but he had his limitations. As good a ball winner as you could hope for at this level it might be that his replacement is more competent on the ball and improves us as a team. Of the released players, Millar is the one I can see actually making a step up, possibly going to Arbroath or Alloa to play part time football in the Championship. Was disappointed Hawkshaw had next to no impact last season as I had high hopes for him but no surprise he's been released. Hopefully the club recruits well. I'd say we need to sign something along the lines of 3-4 midfielders, 1 or 2 forwards/wingers and maybe another defender as well to complete our squad, which should put us somewhere along the lines of 18-20 players.

I think this is spot on. For years we've been desperate for this type of player and it quickly became obvious this season that Roberts was the only player in this mould and therefore fans were desperate for him to be a success, I think that has clouded judgement of him slightly. I think our good run of form coincided with us having a genuine attacking midfielder in the system, I'm not sure it was specifically down to Roberts being great in those games - that's not to say he didn't play well though, he did. When he wasn't playing we resorted to a deep lying midfield and we were the worse for it. The solution to that is find another attacking midfielder so we can play that system, not necessarily sign up Roberts again.

In any other season I would be keen to keep him as a squad player initially to see if he could develop and push his way into the first team. But in a shortened season with increased financial pressures we can't afford to be hanging our hat on a player in that position who barely completed 90 minutes last season. All signings are of course risky, but I think we need to try for someone more reliable this year. We are in a good position by having most of a team signed up, all players who are a known quantity. That means we are in a strong position to take our time and hand pick a couple of midfielders that fit the mould we are looking for. Re-signing all of last season's midfield - which some seem to be suggesting by re-signing Millar and Wedderburn - would have been a big mistake.

5 minutes ago, dusty bin said:

Hi Airdrie fans.

Thoughts please on Kieran Miller.

Just signed first THE BLUES.

Thanks.

Good number of us would have been happy to keep him, he was solid enough last season. Ought to be a very reliable player in the bottom tier. Good luck to him. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think this is spot on. For years we've been desperate for this type of player and it quickly became obvious this season that Roberts was the only player in this mould and therefore fans were desperate for him to be a success, I think that has clouded judgement of him slightly. I think our good run of form coincided with us having a genuine attacking midfielder in the system, I'm not sure it was specifically down to Roberts being great in those games - that's not to say he didn't play well though, he did. When he wasn't playing we resorted to a deep lying midfield and we were the worse for it. The solution to that is find another attacking midfielder so we can play that system, not necessarily sign up Roberts again.

In any other season I would be keen to keep him as a squad player initially to see if he could develop and push his way into the first team. But in a shortened season with increased financial pressures we can't afford to be hanging our hat on a player in that position who barely completed 90 minutes last season. All signings are of course risky, but I think we need to try for someone more reliable this year. We are in a good position by having most of a team signed up, all players who are a known quantity. That means we are in a strong position to take our time and hand pick a couple of midfielders that fit the mould we are looking for. Re-signing all of last season's midfield - which some seem to be suggesting by re-signing Millar and Wedderburn - would have been a big mistake.

In theory, perhaps, but I do think there is a distinct danger of some of us assuming getting better quality midfielders will be a lot easier than it could be. We shall also still need solid squad players who can be used as substitutes or in the event of injuries, still a significant possibility in a shortened season. I'd have wanted better signings than Millar, Roberts and Wedderburn for starting XI, but we will also now to bring in first team midfielders and midfielders to play a part from the bench.

A lot of work to do and the better players will be courted by multiple clubs, from our league, the championship and even league 2. We've already been unable to compete with Stirling Albion for a signing target. The club wanted Andy Ryan and we were unable to match the offer. The idea that we can quite handily get a handful of superior midfielders than we already had, then, in a season we were third and fighting for the top spot through much of it, seems quite optimistic. 

Releasing players we know are good enough for the promotion playoff places, in a season where surely most if not all clubs in the country expect to be weaker rather than stronger on the whole, is in itself a considerably risky strategy, one which we obviously all hope will payoff. 

Maybe they couldn't match the Albion money because we had long decided our priority was midfielders rather than a striker. Maybe we already have targets in mind. Maybe, though, we will fail to get them, as well. 

9 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

In theory, perhaps, but I do think there is a distinct danger of some of us assuming getting better quality midfielders will be a lot easier than it could be. We shall also still need solid squad players who can be used as substitutes or in the event of injuries, still a significant possibility in a shortened season. I'd have wanted better signings than Millar, Roberts and Wedderburn for starting XI, but we will also now to bring in first team midfielders and midfielders to play a part from the bench.

A lot of work to do and the better players will be courted by multiple clubs, from our league, the championship and even league 2. We've already been unable to compete with Stirling Albion for a signing target. The club wanted Andy Ryan and we were unable to match the offer. The idea that we can quite handily get a handful of superior midfielders than we already had, then, in a season we were third and fighting for the top spot through much of it, seems quite optimistic. 

Releasing players we know are good enough for the promotion playoff places, in a season where surely most if not all clubs in the country expect to be weaker rather than stronger on the whole, is in itself a considerably risky strategy, one which we obviously all hope will payoff. 

Maybe they couldn't match the Albion money because we had long decided our priority was midfielders rather than a striker. Maybe we already have targets in mind. Maybe, though, we will fail to get them, as well. 

And don't forget the Lowland League. We know well enough that Kelty Hearts can compete with League One and even Championship sides for signings but East Kilbride are at it too now (linked with Paul Paton). Quite a unique time to have so much ambition from League Two and Lowland League sides when it comes to recruitment and it does make it more difficult for clubs like us.

Wedderburn is no loss but I’m a little surprised by Millar. Having said that, Murray needs to find a way for the team to improve (personally I don’t think we were going to challenge for the title) and has obviously targeted the midfield to achieve that.
As for the rest it’s probably a reflection on where we are. No money coming in and no games imminently so it must be difficult to balance the books. With a smaller squad (but reasonably settled given the re-signings) and a reduced amount of league games, if we can get off to a good start who knows what might happen.

A bit disappointed with millar thought we were starting to see the best of him. Certainly can’t fault any of the first teamers that are leaving but won’t lose any sleep about any of them going either. Roberts is a strange one only saw glimpses of what he could do but certainly hasn’t worked out at airdrie. Hopefully miller and Murray have better targets lined up.

And don't forget the Lowland League. We know well enough that Kelty Hearts can compete with League One and even Championship sides for signings but East Kilbride are at it too now (linked with Paul Paton). Quite a unique time to have so much ambition from League Two and Lowland League sides when it comes to recruitment and it does make it more difficult for clubs like us.

Have been thinking that myself even darvel in the new west of Scotland league (tier 6 I think) signing players that are at our level. Doubt players will care what level they play at now and are totally money driven (which is fair enough). As you say though even more clubs looking at players we could be looking at.

5 hours ago, dusty bin said:

Hi Airdrie fans.

Thoughts please on Kieran Miller.

Just signed first THE BLUES.

Thanks.

Millar is a good old fashioned water carrier,  although he does it well, gives 100 %  every week, likes a tackle, if you have a playmaker beside him, you will be fine.   He does have clear limitations and his ceiling is midtable league one.   Is Connor McManus still at yourselves a player previously on trial with ourselves.

6 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Re-signing all of last season's midfield - which some seem to be suggesting by re-signing Millar and Wedderburn - would have been a big mistake.

Would definitely agree with that. I like Millar and Roberts well enough but, at the end of the day, our midfield was not of the standard required to get us promoted. In all the games we dropped points, I would wager it was almost always down to the midfield not being creative or productive enough or failing to link up to our forwards. 

It's a positive that the club has obviously identified this area of the park as needing drastic improvements. I am sure targets have been identified (comments, mainly on the Facebook group saying they hope the club have targets in mind are a bit odd, I am sure they plan to have more than Paul McKay in midfield next season 😂) . Let's hope that they are of a much better calibre than those they are replacing and are of the required standard to get us promoted. 

No disrespect to the guy either, but don't really get the love in for Big Nat TBH. We need MUCH better if we're to win the league or the play-offs. 

I liked Millar and Roberts and would have been happy to see them stay but I agree with others that it's hardly the end of the world that they're away. I thought Millar had a really good season and centre backs aside he was probably our most consistent player, but ultimately he is fairly limited and our biggest complaint last season was undoubtedly a lack of creativity in midfield. The reaction elsewhere to Roberts leaving is quite over the top, he was excellent during our winning run but outside of those game he never really showed enough alongside the fitness issues that have been mentioned. I also think some people don't realise how old Roberts is, he'll be 26 by the time the season starts. He definitely has potential and as I said, I'd have been happy to keep him, but I think some fans think of him as being a really young player. 

In all our games against Raith last season the biggest different between the teams was in midfield. It didn't matter what combination of Matthews, Hendry, Spencer and Tait played, Raith's midfield were always a level above ours in terms of quality. We've got two good keepers for this level sorted, a solid defence who will hopefully improve with experience and goals in attack, so bringing in better players in midfield is the obvious way to try and improve on last season. 

Does anyone know what's happening with the other reserve players who weren't mentioned in yesterday's statement? Josh Burke, Scott Walker, Joseph Moore and James Hughes are all still listed in the squad page on the website but I don't recall seeing anything about them signing new contracts.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I liked Millar and Roberts and would have been happy to see them stay but I agree with others that it's hardly the end of the world that they're away. I thought Millar had a really good season and centre backs aside he was probably our most consistent player, but ultimately he is fairly limited and our biggest complaint last season was undoubtedly a lack of creativity in midfield. The reaction elsewhere to Roberts leaving is quite over the top, he was excellent during our winning run but outside of those game he never really showed enough alongside the fitness issues that have been mentioned. I also think some people don't realise how old Roberts is, he'll be 26 by the time the season starts. He definitely has potential and as I said, I'd have been happy to keep him, but I think some fans think of him as being a really young player. 

In all our games against Raith last season the biggest different between the teams was in midfield. It didn't matter what combination of Matthews, Hendry, Spencer and Tait played, Raith's midfield were always a level above ours in terms of quality. We've got two good keepers for this level sorted, a solid defence who will hopefully improve with experience and goals in attack, so bringing in better players in midfield is the obvious way to try and improve on last season. 

Does anyone know what's happening with the other reserve players who weren't mentioned in yesterday's statement? Josh Burke, Scott Walker, Joseph Moore and James Hughes are all still listed in the squad page on the website but I don't recall seeing anything about them signing new contracts.

Agree with this. 

RE your last point, I was wondering this myself. Stuart Millar confirmed with the Advertiser that there will be no reserve side next season and I can't see any of the four (aside from possibly Moore) being involved with the first team at this stage of their development. Likewise it wouldn't be economical to pay four players to do nothing for a season. Maybe they're looking to loan them out with as much of their wage covered by the loaning club as possible?

Agree with this. 
RE your last point, I was wondering this myself. Stuart Millar confirmed with the Advertiser that there will be no reserve side next season and I can't see any of the four (aside from possibly Moore) being involved with the first team at this stage of their development. Likewise it wouldn't be economical to pay four players to do nothing for a season. Maybe they're looking to loan them out with as much of their wage covered by the loaning club as possible?

A season on loan at a lowland or west of Scotland side would do no harm and they can get game time as well as develop training every day at airdrie.

Sorry to see these young boys go but I’ve always been of the opinion our resources should be fully committed to having the strongest 18-20 players possible.

If premiership sides are looking to off load some of their younger players maybe we could get lucky with a couple of decent additions - cheap too.

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Great news! Hopefully with spectators allowed in grounds. Will be much easier to sign players now. 

Aye, we were all expecting this over the last couple of weeks now but to have it confirmed (so long as progress vis a vis virus continues) is a big step. As you say, it can allow the club greater clarity in their planning and it might mean some movement on getting season tickets sold, too. 

Will be great to have it back and the stadium is large enough that we ought to be able to get some sort of crowd in even if distancing is in place. 

Good morning, I will put this here because I cannot find any Airdrieonians forum, I am trying to collect information about former Scottish league players, I would like to ask you about two former Airdrie players: Sammy Conn and Jamie Fairley, the first one seems to have passed away in 2013 and who played mainly as a left midfielder or as a central midfielder, is that correct? ... and the second seems to be that he was an offensive player, I think mainly an offensive midfielder, who also played as a right midfielder, is that correct? ... Could you confirm something more about your positions?? ...Thanks.