The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Niall Thompson and habib sissoko

Big Sissoko must have managed a goal every 20 minutes or so for Airdrie! Statistically better than Ronaldo and Messi.

He also was the subject of a Standard Grade French Exam paper once. Paco Rabane had seen him in the street and asked him to model....... then he ended up at Airdrie!

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I see Hibs have apparently put their development team on hiatus for a year. I wonder if we'll see Innes Murray back? 

While there was glimpses of a player there, I'd be willing to probably wait it out and see if we can snare one or two of the ones inevitably dropping down a level or two to guarantee a contract.

I'd be hoping that maybe one or two decent pros can see what we're doing with the squad building, keeping a decent core together and they maybe think they fancy being a part of it as well.  There's not many clubs under the championship got the bulk of a squad signed up I think.

43 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Andrew Barrowman, Scott Dunn, Adam Eckersley, Scott Gallacher, Dean Hawkshaw, Jonathan Kavanagh, Robbie Leighton, Sam McNee, Andrew McNeil, Kieran Millar, Kurtis Roberts, Arran Ross, Nat Wedderburn and Reece Willison all away

Just read that there.

Surprised at Millar going, and I made my position clear about Roberts, I wanted him to do well but it just wasn't to be.

Not really too fussed about any of the others tbh.

34 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Just read that there.

Surprised at Millar going, and I made my position clear about Roberts, I wanted him to do well but it just wasn't to be.

Not really too fussed about any of the others tbh.

On the recent podcast SM stated that one of the mistakes in the first hybrid season was too many Part time players were signed which led to extra young players being signed in order for training to be carried out correctly....   Not necessarily my opinion  but we have 2 keepers, Carrick and seagal Part time for this coming season,   I fully expect the remaining 5'players or so to be signed to be Full Time status..

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

While there was glimpses of a player there, I'd be willing to probably wait it out and see if we can snare one or two of the ones inevitably dropping down a level or two to guarantee a contract.

I'd be hoping that maybe one or two decent pros can see what we're doing with the squad building, keeping a decent core together and they maybe think they fancy being a part of it as well.  There's not many clubs under the championship got the bulk of a squad signed up I think.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

Andrew Barrowman, Scott Dunn, Adam Eckersley, Scott Gallacher, Dean Hawkshaw, Jonathan Kavanagh, Robbie Leighton, Sam McNee, Andrew McNeil, Kieran Millar, Kurtis Roberts, Arran Ross, Nat Wedderburn and Reece Willison all away

No real surprises there apart from Kieran Millar. I’m sorry to see him and Roberts go but, it’s a positive sign that the club are acknowledging that our midfield wasn’t good enough last season. Plenty of our dropped points came from not having enough guile or creativity in the middle of the park. Given the number of midfielders released it seems the club realise that too and plan to fix it. I hope replacements of the right calibre are identified and acquired. 

Sorry that things never worked out for Eckersley either. He’s a classy player and great pro but ultimately (and on merit) couldn’t dislodge Leon McCann from the team. He’ll do well wherever he ends up.

A shame about some of the younger players but we’ll be in no position to have a reserve team or a stock of players not playing football (no matter what they’re paid so fair enough). Hope they all find a club. 

Disappointed first off for all of these guys entering into a period of real uncertainty and hope they get something sorted soon. 

Must be a really horrible blow, even if they expected it and i am fairly sure the club will have been as up front and honest with them as possible throughout. 

On the face of it, I'd have liked to have kept Millar, Wedderburn and Roberts, even if it was increasingly obvious that Roberts was seen as surplus. That being said, and as already mentioned, it's clear the midfield is the area of the park we will be seeing the most significant transformation from last season to the forthcoming (well, october is perhaps rather stretching the term 'forthcoming') campaign and I think that is pretty fair. It's the area that needed the most improvement. 

The big challenge will be putting a good midfield together and the worry, of course, is that you don't have time to bed them in, to gel, to overcome a slow start, in the way that you usually would. We likely won't be alone in this, but the longer it takes the team to get used to each other, the harder success will be to achieve. 

Disappointed about Roberts.  During the run we had from the Forfar game in October until the Raith Rovers game in December (where we should have shared the points) he was ever present and during this period we were playing as well as we did all season. He got clobbered at that game, came on against Peterhead the week after and then that was his season much about over - he was dropped for the Clyde game with Ally Roy in midfield.

I am assuming something was going on in the background for him to lose favour so quickly.

Anyway, my abiding memory of Kurtis Roberts - playing his heart out when we beat Falkirk 2-1 and playing that lovely reverse pass to Calum Gallagher for Segal to run down the wing, wee glance up, perfect cross to Paul McKay's forehead, in the back of the net!  Brilliant!   When I need cheered up during these  shitty times I dig out the Falkirk FC commentary of the match to cheer me up - the last minute goal still gives goose bumps - Airdrie fans and team were brilliant. Hopefully there will be more days like that one next season (whenever it starts). 

Not too fussed about any of the released players. Would've liked Millar to stay but it's clear the club are going for almost a complete overhaul in midfield, which might be a good thing. Hopefully now that everything is sorted with last season's squad we can start to see more action with us bringing in new faces.

52 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Disappointed about Roberts.  During the run we had from the Forfar game in October until the Raith Rovers game in December (where we should have shared the points) he was ever present and during this period we were playing as well as we did all season. He got clobbered at that game, came on against Peterhead the week after and then that was his season much about over - he was dropped for the Clyde game with Ally Roy in midfield.

I am assuming something was going on in the background for him to lose favour so quickly.

Anyway, my abiding memory of Kurtis Roberts - playing his heart out when we beat Falkirk 2-1 and playing that lovely reverse pass to Calum Gallagher for Segal to run down the wing, wee glance up, perfect cross to Paul McKay's forehead, in the back of the net!  Brilliant!   When I need cheered up during these  shitty times I dig out the Falkirk FC commentary of the match to cheer me up - the last minute goal still gives goose bumps - Airdrie fans and team were brilliant. Hopefully there will be more days like that one next season (whenever it starts). 

Would definitely agree with that. Thought Roberts added a bit of dynamism and energy that we otherwise lacked. Don’t think it was a coincidence that the teams best run of results were during his only sustained run in the team. The goal at Falkirk that you mention and the one he scored himself at Cliftonhill were  Roberts, and the team as a whole, at their best. 

I’d have liked him to stay but I’m not that surprised he’s away. His face never seemed to fit for whatever reason - fitness or otherwise. 

But now he’s gone and the management are going for wholesale changes in the midfield which is a good thing overall. Here’s hoping the replacements are of a much better standard and are what is required to get us promoted (hurry up Harry etc). 

Surprised to see Kieran Millar being punted by you guys. I always thought he looked a pretty decent player. A non-goalscoring defensively minded midfielder is not something we've been short on in recent years - but I wouldn't be averse to seeing him in a Sons top next season. Same goes for Kurtis Roberts. I had hoped we'd be after him last summer.

I think Roberts is vastly overrated by some of our fans. I liked him but I think him being our only proper attack minded midfielder (and us missing a certain dynamism in midfield) led to many thinking he was better than he was. As for Millar I really liked him, but he had his limitations. As good a ball winner as you could hope for at this level but it might be that his replacement is more competent on the ball and improves us as a team. Of the released players, Millar is the one I can see actually making a step up, possibly going to Arbroath or Alloa to play part time football in the Championship. Was disappointed Hawkshaw had next to no impact last season as I had high hopes for him but no surprise he's been released. Hopefully the club recruits well. I'd say we need to sign something along the lines of 3-4 midfielders, 1 or 2 forwards/wingers and maybe another defender as well to complete our squad, which should put us somewhere along the lines of 18-20 players.