The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, G_H said:

On the one hand, there could be an advantage in keeping a squad together who are familiar with each other.

On the other hand, it could mean we are missing out on a large pool of more talented players who have only been released due to clubs financial situations.

My worries for this season: need some creativity in midfield, and a big elastic band to tie to Gal to pull him back onside after every attack.

I think this is an important point. - and maybe links into what was being said above about the last decade or so being fairly pish too. We've chopped and changed far too much in recent seasons, players hitting 100 games for the club (which realistically is less than 3 years as a regular starter) have been a rarity and having had a fairly decent season some continuity is very welcome even if some of those aren't in the "must sign" category. A familiar team might help us get out of the blocks a bit sharper too which will be vital in a shortened season.

I've banged this drum for a while on here but a happy dressing room and a bit of consistency both on and off the park should be a major aim for the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller squad this season so flexible players like Kerr and McKay who can play across defence and midfield (or allow Fordyce to shuffle to RB, etc) will be valuable.

I think we're now well covered defensively, so hopefully rebuilding the midfield and attack can be the focus of our attention and this is maybe where Stan will wait a bit longer for players from a higher level without a club - a solid, reliable defence with Gal's goals and a bit more magic/forward contribution in midfield could be just the ticket. Would expect Kieran Millar to sign on given he's been trusted since Murray arrived, and maybe from there we're on to a few new faces...

Delighted with Kerr returning, I really rate the lad and we've now got a situation where whichever of our 5 defenders (I'm not including McKay) make up the back 4 we've got a strong option on the bench. Also helps that Fordyce has had excellent performances at right back and MacDonald put in a great performance at left back at the end of the season so there's versatility there too.

50 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

I think this is an important point. - and maybe links into what was being said above about the last decade or so being fairly pish too. We've chopped and changed far too much in recent seasons, players hitting 100 games for the club (which realistically is less than 3 years as a regular starter) have been a rarity and having had a fairly decent season some continuity is very welcome even if some of those aren't in the "must sign" category. A familiar team might help us get out of the blocks a bit sharper too which will be vital in a shortened season.

I've banged this drum for a while on here but a happy dressing room and a bit of consistency both on and off the park should be a major aim for the club. I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller squad this season so flexible players like Kerr and McKay who can play across defence and midfield (or allow Fordyce to shuffle to RB, etc) will be valuable.

I think we're now well covered defensively, so hopefully rebuilding the midfield and attack can be the focus of our attention and this is maybe where Stan will wait a bit longer for players from a higher level without a club - a solid, reliable defence with Gal's goals and a bit more magic/forward contribution in midfield could be just the ticket. Would expect Kieran Millar to sign on given he's been trusted since Murray arrived, and maybe from there we're on to a few new faces...

I agree with all of this. I also think that having a core of regulars over a few years helps to keep standards/expectations high in the dressing room year to year (assuming you have good characters), and also helps gives more connection to the fans. Particularly ones who maybe only make a few games a season, there was a period where from one year to the next a fan like that would barely recognise more than a couple of players, this means it's hard for fans to build any connections with the team.

Equally though, I think we need to be careful not to over estimate what we were like last season. Aside from a great run of form around November we rarely played well and many Saturday evenings on here contained threads with posters moaning about the performances and wanting Murray sacked. We ground out some results due to a solid defence which kept us in games, but even when winning it wasn't great to watch. The quality of the top teams was also poor this year, so although we were only 5 off the top when it finished, in almost any other year we'd have been well out of the race. The points per game average of Raith and Falkirk would have seen them winning the title with either 67/68 points. Our points per game rate would have seen us finish on 62. The 5 year average winning points total is 75 (that's not including the Rangers season which would have bumped that up even more). Falkirk were rotten for half the season this year and surely will improve, and Partick will be strong. So we're going to need to up our points per game rate quite significantly to challenge. Obviously with a shortened season these total amounts wont be relevant, but the points per game will be.

In short, if we want to build on last season then we'll need quite a few new players as I think we'll be well short of the pace next season otherwise. Obviously that is totally dependent on finances and I've no issue with getting a similar squad and ensuring, at worst, a play-off spot and then see what happens. But I also don't think that people should expect us to sign up last season's team and then expect us to be challenging for the title.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Great news about McKay and Kerr. Can only echo the positive comments about McKay. Scores goals and creates chances for himself from the midfield, great box-to-box runner and, while he's not the finished article yet, the rest of his game isn't too shabby either. The long-throw lost some potency as the season went on but that's as much to do with the runners on the receiving end on the ball and the over-deployment of it by the management team than anything else. 

Pleased to see Kerr returning. He really came onto a game towards the end of the season and looked a real solid centre-half. Both players have a big potential upside. 

Roy? Meh... I would be concerned if he's going to be replacing Ryan or Smith in the first XI but, if he's a 4th/5th choice forward I suppose he's 'fine'. He's a known quantity, part of a happy and settled dressing room and has at least something of a track record of scoring goals (you could do a lot worse than a player who scored 5 goals, albeit 2 in the league, for a player who's 4th/5th choice). The management obviously see something in him (and they're a better judge of a player than me) given his performances for the reserves and the amount of chances he got. It's a big season for him. Here's hoping the management can get the best out of him and he can start the season off with a bit of confidence. 

I would assume that apart from Millar, that's probably all of our offers made to last season's squad. We'll, therefore, see the back of Gallacher, Wedderburn, Roberts and Hawkshaw. I think that's sensible as while having a settled team is good, we don't want to sign up to many of a team that ultimately failed to get us promoted (albeit in a shortened season). I think we've signed up the best of our squad and have (presumably) let go players in the positions we can/need to improve in. 

IMO we should be looking for a creative #10 type (a replacement for Hawkshaw) as a priority. Following that a wide forward (replacement for Smith), a box-to-box midfielder (replacement for Roberts) and another striker (replacement for Ryan). I've no idea how the pandemic has affected the club's finances but I would hope that spending the money previously used on those players (as well as the money saved on the reserves if those players have also let go) would allow us to feasibly sign the calibre of player needed in those positions. 

Some really good posts last night; who knew we were such a bunch of reasoned intellectuals? Enjoyed reading them and agree with pretty much all that was said, handing out greenies like smarties. This agreement stuff better no catch on though, it wouldn't seem right! Proof if ever that we really need the football back to give us reasons to disagree...

Roll on this announcement at 9am. Kit, presumably? 

For me... McKay and Roy I wasn’t their biggest fan but I don’t see what better we would get in this situation and to be fair mckay and Roy did chip in with a few goals and assists, not sure if either will earn a starting place imo

As for Kerr I feel like he’s got huge potential as a few have said on here and the Facebook page, really come into his own before this happened so will be interesting to see where he’ll fit in next season considering he had a place pretty much cemented towards the end..

59 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Looks a cracker, albeit a shame it's not an actual top in the picture. 

airdrie kit.jpg

Love that. I support West Ham who have used Umbro for years and the quality is always good! Will be interesting to see what product Airdrie receive. 

25 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Brilliant. Sure I spoke to an Airdrie fan down at Newcastle away years a go. Also sure the flag looked different so might be the bevvy playing with my mind! 

Might have been me.  I've had a couple of West Ham & Airdrie flags over the years. Usually had to replace them after a few too many beers on my travels and they've been left somewhere random. 🙈

Most folk usually remember meeting me by my mixed up accent, which apparently sounds English/Scottish/South African/Aussie.  🤔 lol

There are quite a lot of Airdrie fans who follow West Ham. Think for a number of the older ones it goes back to the Sandy Clark transfer and subsequent friendly between the clubs.

13 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Easily one of the smartest strips we’ve produced in my 28 years following the club...and there have been some crackers!

Glad to see the red shorts and socks back too!

Pre-order placed! ♦️

Good to see you're still here - I thought your internet had been turned off!

An Airdrie kit launch isn't complete without your immediate feedback 😂

Loving that kit!

Not loving Ally Roy resigning. Think people are being way too generous to him. He's an abysmal footballer and a waste of a wage. When you get to near the end of the season and all people can do to point out his potential is a good performance in the league cup in August you know you've got any absolute turkey on your hands. Terrible finisher, can't beat a man, positionally suspect, workshy. Awful, awful decision.

Edited by cb_diamond