The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Totally depressing factoid, now that Stranrear have been relegated we enter season 2020-21 as  the only club to have remained in Scottish League Division 1 since its formation in 2013.   Seven years, three different owners, nine managers (including temporary appointments) and a whole shitload of very average players.  Very little prospect of breaking that mould in the foreseeable future, welcome to Stagnation F.C.

It's unfortunate really. A few fewer soft goals conceded at the start of each half, and the foot staying on the gas when top of the table, and we could easily have been up into the championship.

11 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Totally depressing factoid, now that Stranrear have been relegated we enter season 2020-21 as  the only club to have remained in Scottish League Division 1 since its formation in 2013.   Seven years, three different owners, nine managers (including temporary appointments) and a whole shitload of very average players.  Very little prospect of breaking that mould in the foreseeable future, welcome to Stagnation F.C.

True enough and why I do get fed up ,but at least we face some different teams every season? I think stagnation is better than relegation mind you. I did a quiz on the SPFL page today and they had Willie Aitchison as one of our long term managers-was it half a game?  Hope springs eternal and maybe we will escape upwards when we resume?

Depressing indeed. Even if we hadn’t manage to go up this year if the league had been played out ive still enjoyed going and it hasn’t felt like a chore as in recent years. Going even further back I can’t really note any season being that enjoyable bar the league winning campaign 03/04 and possibly the season we won the challenge cup last (2012 maybe) although I’m also sure we got relegated that season. On the bright side we’ve came a long way from those dark 7-1 defeats against Arbroath and east fife [emoji23][emoji23]

13 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Depressing indeed. Even if we hadn’t manage to go up this year if the league had been played out ive still enjoyed going and it hasn’t felt like a chore as in recent years. Going even further back I can’t really note any season being that enjoyable bar the league winning campaign 03/04 and possibly the season we won the challenge cup last (2012 maybe) although I’m also sure we got relegated that season. On the bright side we’ve came a long way from those dark 7-1 defeats against Arbroath and east fife emoji23.pngemoji23.png

We had a good team from reformation through until the end of 05/06 when Ballantyne broke up that team and the following season we got relegated. The sale of Martin Hardie that January is probably the point when things started to decline. 

IMO every season after 07/08 (when we first 'failed' to win promotion from this league) until last season has been some degree of miserable with a select view highlights in between - beating Hearts at Tynecastle, winning the Challenge Cup, last minute win at Firhill and the 4-3 Cliftonhill game are the ones that spring to mind. 

I can barely remember most of the last 10 years or so, and I more or less grew up in that era. No standout players, teams or seasons. It's all just merged into one memory of shite. 

Glad that we've finally got structures in place on and off the park to hopefully progress forwards once again. 

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Great news that McKay is returning. Hopefully Millar and Kerr soon

I hope he can add a bit more fight to his gameplay. The longish throw that everyone knows about now isnt really enough.

I hope he can add a bit more fight to his gameplay. The longish throw that everyone knows about now isnt really enough.

The long throw got extremely tedious but I thought McKay had a good season, and he rose in my estimations throughout the season. Signed as a defender so maybe falsely thought of as a defensive midfielder, I thought he was at his best driving forward (more of an 8 than a 6)

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The long throw got extremely tedious but I thought McKay had a good season, and he rose in my estimations throughout the season. Signed as a defender so maybe falsely thought of as a defensive midfielder, I thought he was at his best driving forward (more of an 8 than a 6)

I honestly didn't rate him much, but cant argue that he was involved in some valuable moments.

I just think that he needs to develop a bit, particularly in terms of using size to his advantage to own the ball, before I'd be comfortable with him as a first team regular.

Maybe it is how he was used in the team, but I guess we will get a chance to find that out next season

5 hours ago, G_H said:

I honestly didn't rate him much, but cant argue that he was involved in some valuable moments.

I just think that he needs to develop a bit, particularly in terms of using size to his advantage to own the ball, before I'd be comfortable with him as a first team regular.

Maybe it is how he was used in the team, but I guess we will get a chance to find that out next season

Why does McKay get all this hate and negativity towards him the lad gives his all every week and he’s a young lad and will continue to develop he’s doesn’t need negativity thrown at him it’s league 1 in Scotland we ain’t gonna attract Neymar on a free transfer!

4 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Why does McKay get all this hate and negativity towards him the lad gives his all every week and he’s a young lad and will continue to develop he’s doesn’t need negativity thrown at him it’s league 1 in Scotland we ain’t gonna attract Neymar on a free transfer!

McKay reminds me of a Stuart Taylor type of player,  I don't think many people could agree on his best position and he played 10 years....  McKay is quietly effective gets around the pitch well, scores important goals from midfield,  many on here are more obsessed about the long throw,  When the long throw was introduced we moved and attacked the ball,  latterly players got lazy and let defenders get the run on the ball,   I would much rather a Paul McKay in the midfield than An unfit Kurt is Roberts..    

I wonder who is next to resign hopefully Kerr and big nat

7 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Put simply, he needs to fight more for the ball.

Obviously I want him to do well so long as he is an Airdrie player, and of course he will develop as he has time on his side, but he has some big gaps in his game and is one of the more frustrating players to watch, especially when picked ahead of players with a more developed skillset.

Edited by G_H

McKay is one of those players that attracts a bit of ire from fans and can be frustrating to watch precisely because you can see there is potential there. 

Ultimately it's a good thing and the coaches, his teammates and the fans should press the players to do better, ti improve, to push themselves. From the stands though, it can sometimes turn into giving grief for the sake of it. 

I think the point made by @ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds, that he has been better when going forward in support of and even getting 'beyond the striker' (horrible phrase), is a good one. Hope that is how he is deployed in the season to come and that we see him improve further because, clearly, there is a decent player there. 

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

McKay reminds me of a Stuart Taylor type of player,  I don't think many people could agree on his best position and he played 10 years....  McKay is quietly effective gets around the pitch well, scores important goals from midfield,  many on here are more obsessed about the long throw,  When the long throw was introduced we moved and attacked the ball,  latterly players got lazy and let defenders get the run on the ball,   I would much rather a Paul McKay in the midfield than An unfit Kurt is Roberts..    

I wonder who is next to resign hopefully Kerr and big nat

Big Nat! Good one 😂

13 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

The right answer is...Ally Roy.

It’s a make or break season for the lad and lets hope he gets his act together and kicks on a proves a lot of doubters wrong and turns into a decent player hopefully Kerr is next and we can push on and start bringing players in

2 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Big Nat! Good one 😂

I actually thought Nat came onto a game the last few games of the season. Added some real composure on the ball. 

Ally Roy; potentially going to get a lot more game time in place of Smith? Roy is pacey. Not Smith pacey, but still. 

Nice to see the club stepping up the squad building, regardless! 

Would be hard to argue that Roy had a good season and I'm a bit surprised he's been signed back up, but it seems to me that the lad wants to succeed at Airdrie and if he can bring that attitude to his game and gain a bit of confidence there's every chance he'll have a good season. Hope he's able to prove the doubters wrong

On the one hand, there could be an advantage in keeping a squad together who are familiar with each other.

On the other hand, it could mean we are missing out on a large pool of more talented players who have only been released due to clubs financial situations.

My worries for this season: need some creativity in midfield, and a big elastic band to tie to Gal to pull him back onside after every attack.

1 hour ago, G_H said:

On the one hand, there could be an advantage in keeping a squad together who are familiar with each other.

On the other hand, it could mean we are missing out on a large pool of more talented players who have only been released due to clubs financial situations.

My worries for this season: need some creativity in midfield, and a big elastic band to tie to Gal to pull him back onside after every attack.

Josh Kerr signs up again,    good promising p!ayer,   who is next...