The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

A really hard worker, and pretty consistent for a 20 year old. He was more or less an ever present for us (missed 1 game through injury) and I'd happily have him back. Never hid.
If I was looking for a downside it's probably end product, he only managed 6 goals all season - albeit largely from the right wing in a 3 rather than as a striker. Got the feeling this might have been a confidence thing. I'd say he's got the potential to play higher than League 1, but would like to see him come back and hit double figures for us before making the step up.

This is a good summary of smith. Sad to see us lose out on him as was a big part of our team last season but wish him well - cracking opportunity.

Think Chucky will have always been our number 1 target. And a fit Chucky would be more valuable to us than smith.

Sounds like there's a good foundation to work from, although I'm always wary about the step up. It's weird/encouraging that we didn't deem Leon McCann good enough to play in the Premiership after playing at this level but think Smith is.

Smith's best performance of the season was against Hearts at Tynecastle, can never tell from a one off game whether someone can play at a level but that was certainly a good indicator. I clearly don't see much of Hamilton but would assume they play a lot of the time on the counter which certainly suits him and can play anywhere across the front line. He'll also not be expected to bang in 20 goals a season either. Given his age and the fact he is on a free I think it's smart business, at worst they can loan him back out for a season if they think he's not quite ready.

I remember thinking at the start of this pandemic that as long as we can see it through financially when things restart we may be at a slight advantage compared to other clubs at this level by having a good number of proven first team players signed up. The goalie situation looks good, an up and coming goalie who looks like a good addition, but with back-up of an experienced goalie if needed. A really good defence signed up and plenty of goals up front. As someone mentioned there seems to be a decent spirit and atmosphere about the place. Having so many positions filled already means we can be a lot more targeted with our recruitment and hopefully get exactly the right type of players.

Similar to last season I'd say we need a couple of midfielders, at least one with a bit of drive going forward. Roberts is that type of player but I'm with the poster who isn't really convinced by him, for whatever reason he had about 1 good month across the season, and even then it was for 70 minutes per game. He's maybe worth another season as back-up, initially at least, as there is something there. But with Falkirk and Partick in the league, and a shortened season, we need to be off to a flyer with ready-made players, can't afford to be waiting for players to develop. I'd also want a natural wide player. Thomson is the only one we really have, I quite like him as a sub but I've not seen enough quality from him yet to be comfortable him starting each week - similar to Roberts really.

Going to be very tough to get anything other than play-offs this season, but with the shortened season it will give us, and other teams, more chance of upsetting the 2 favourites. If we can get off to a flyer with similar form that we hit in November last year then you never know.

On 15/06/2020 at 13:30, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Other than the 9 who were signed up for this season, everyone's contract should now have ended. The Currie signing suggests that Gallacher is definitely on the way out. For the rest it remains unclear, with only a handful of the young reserves on the PFA availability list. I imagine the lack of news means the club are in discussions with a few of last season's squad (Millar, McKay and Kerr perhaps?) in an attempt to sign them up for next season. I wouldn't expect the club sign Wedderburn, Roberts, Hawkshaw or Roy back up but it's a guessing game at the moment.

Would imagine those three will definitely have been in the club's plans going forward. And I'd be happy to see them all back. League 1 is probably Millar's ceiling but he's good at what he does. Kerr really came on to a game towards the end of the season and developed into a solid centre-half. He has a big potential upside so I'd like to see us keep him if possible. McKay took a lot of stick but I really liked him. Not convinced he's a natural centre mid but he gave us drive, his box-to-box running was excellent, he can score/get on the end of chances and his long-throw was a potent at times though greatly over-used weapon. When he played well I thought the team as a whole played well. If Willie and Mark McKay are part of the Redknapp group I would imagine they'd be keen for him to stick around also. 

On 15/06/2020 at 13:39, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I personally would be disappointed if Roberts didn't sign back up.

It was obvious the manager didn't fancy him whether that was down to his fitness or something unseen.

If he goes then I'd expect him maybe back at Queen's Park who are making all the right noises about moving onwards and upwards, from what I've read.

I would like to see Roberts back as well though I'm not sure he will be as the management obviously didn't fancy him for whatever reason. He gave us a bit of drive, energy and spark in midfield which was otherwise badly lacking. I don't think it's a coincidence that our best spell in the league coincided with Roberts' only sustained run in the team. McKay's goal at Falkirk (which he was heavily involved in) and the goal he scored himself at Cliftonhill was Roberts and the team as a whole at their counter-attacking best. 

Our downfall last season was a lack of creativity and poise in midfield and an ability for the midfield to link up with the strikers (a #10 type essentially). I don't think Roberts is that type of player but he definitely adds something positive going forward. 

I can't see the other three (Roy, Wedderburn and Hawkshaw) staying on either and not overly fussed about any of them leaving though I hope they are able to find a club during the current pandemic. Really thought Hawkshaw might turn out to be a big player at the end of 18/19 but it just never happened for him at all. 

18 hours ago, Passionate said:

Kurt is Roberts is one of those players that became an instant fans favourire, don't know why though, admittedly he did have a good month in November, since then he looked unfit and disinterested and really hardly featured, I actually think bottom league 1  top of league 2 is his level,  we need to get rid of sentiment and get some players signed who have proven it at this level.

18 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Maybe I'm just clouded by the bits he did seem interested. I've been guilty in the past of giving players an easy ride because I think there's "something there".

You may be right, he might be playing lowland league in 3 years time, or he might be released, have a storming season in league 2 whenever it does and end up playing championship with an Alloa or a QOS in 2 or 3 years. I just think (probably hope) that he's got something to offer.

We'll see what happens,but I'd rather have him than the likes of Roy involved.

I'm not sure if there's a word for it but I think Roberts actually became more popular through not playing than he ever would have done playing in the team. There were plenty of games last season (the run of games where we didn't score spring to mind) where the midfield was absolutely crying out for a bit of spark and ingenuity and, while I don't think he's a #10 type player as stated, Roberts was probably the only player in our team who could have offered something along those lines. But yet most of the time he never got a chance off the bench. So I think fans were frustrated that there was a potential match-winning player being left on the bench while other players who had proven they weren't up to it got plenty of chances ahead of him (Roy, Wedderburn and even Thomson to a certain extent). Even an untried (though potentially alright) Barrowman got a spot on the bench ahead of him before falling ill and Innes Murray (who I liked) being signed suggested that he wasn't really part of the management's plans despite the positives that he brought to the team. I don't think he's a world-beater but he does have 'something' about him and I don't think we ever really saw or got the best out of him. 

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

What's Callum Smith like?

Can't argue at all with a move to the Premiership. All the best to him. Can only echo what others have said. Constantly working for the full 90 minutes, harries defenders into making mistakes, good ball carrier and a great engine who can use his pace to get by defenders. Ideal for counter-attacking football and, even though Accies won't see a lot of the ball in league games (I assume) he's the sort of player whose pressure will result in the ball being in or around the opposition's half more often than if he wasn't playing. He'll obviously be playing against a much better standard of defender in the Premiership than in League 1 but he was our best player (only player that offered any threat whatsoever) against Hearts and gave their defenders a hard time all afternoon. His finishing lets him down. He only scored 6 goals (albeit in an uncompleted season) and a player of his ability should really be scoring more but I would wager he was involved in a high percentage of our goals and he's still only 20 so has plenty of time to develop. He's went to a good club to do so. Good luck and I hope he does well. It's a deserved move and a golden opportunity for him. 

57 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I remember thinking at the start of this pandemic that as long as we can see it through financially when things restart we may be at a slight advantage compared to other clubs at this level by having a good number of proven first team players signed up. The goalie situation looks good, an up and coming goalie who looks like a good addition, but with back-up of an experienced goalie if needed. A really good defence signed up and plenty of goals up front. As someone mentioned there seems to be a decent spirit and atmosphere about the place. Having so many positions filled already means we can be a lot more targeted with our recruitment and hopefully get exactly the right type of players.

Similar to last season I'd say we need a couple of midfielders, at least one with a bit of drive going forward. Roberts is that type of player but I'm with the poster who isn't really convinced by him, for whatever reason he had about 1 good month across the season, and even then it was for 70 minutes per game. He's maybe worth another season as back-up, initially at least, as there is something there. But with Falkirk and Partick in the league, and a shortened season, we need to be off to a flyer with ready-made players, can't afford to be waiting for players to develop. I'd also want a natural wide player. Thomson is the only one we really have, I quite like him as a sub but I've not seen enough quality from him yet to be comfortable him starting each week - similar to Roberts really.

Going to be very tough to get anything other than play-offs this season, but with the shortened season it will give us, and other teams, more chance of upsetting the 2 favourites. If we can get off to a flyer with similar form that we hit in November last year then you never know.

Agree with this @Diamonds are Forever, continuity and (relatively) low expectations have me quietly optimistic at this stage. Top 4 with a small, tight-knit, spirited squad would do fine and anything else is a bonus.

Smith's best performance of the season was against Hearts at Tynecastle, can never tell from a one off game whether someone can play at a level but that was certainly a good indicator. I clearly don't see much of Hamilton but would assume they play a lot of the time on the counter which certainly suits him and can play anywhere across the front line. He'll also not be expected to bang in 20 goals a season either. Given his age and the fact he is on a free I think it's smart business, at worst they can loan him back out for a season if they think he's not quite ready.

He's had an excellent season, but his performance against Hearts alone might be the reason Hamilton think he can make the step up, as he was a standout against a Premiership side (albeit a poor one) and caused problems despite the unflattering scoreline. It's a strange one seeing him released by a championship team and picked up by a premiership one; either Hamilton are unambitious or Dunfermline look like mugs. I believe it's the latter.

14 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Gutted at that. Could/should we have been challenging to sign him? Were we?

There are plenty strikers out there with a better scoring record, would have liked him to sign though and maybe he still will.    

I look forward to seeing which one we sign if we don’t manage to get him.

I agree if he was fully fit and had until the end of the season he’d have chipped in with a few goals. Will be shocked if we don’t make an attempt to bring him back and will be even more shocked if he drops to as low as league 2. Given how highly Miller and Murray talked of him it’s hard to imagine us not after him.