The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

34 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Agree with both points but note that it says he's agreed a deal to join the club, rather than joined the club. I assume the club have a rough idea of when the football will start back and have based the start date of his contract on this.

Good catch, a fair point.

Has anyone been released? I thought they were just furloughed.

Other than the 9 who were signed up for this season, everyone's contract should now have ended. The Currie signing suggests that Gallacher is definitely on the way out. For the rest it remains unclear, with only a handful of the young reserves on the PFA availability list. I imagine the lack of news means the club are in discussions with a few of last season's squad (Millar, McKay and Kerr perhaps?) in an attempt to sign them up for next season. I wouldn't expect the club sign Wedderburn, Roberts, Hawkshaw or Roy back up but it's a guessing game at the moment.

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Other than the 9 who were signed up for this season, everyone's contract should now have ended. The Currie signing suggests that Gallacher is definitely on the way out. For the rest it remains unclear, with only a handful of the young reserves on the PFA availability list. I imagine the lack of news means the club are in discussions with a few of last season's squad (Millar, McKay and Kerr perhaps?) in an attempt to sign them up for next season. I wouldn't expect the club sign Wedderburn, Roberts, Hawkshaw or Roy back up but it's a guessing game at the moment.

I personally would be disappointed if Roberts didn't sign back up.

It was obvious the manager didn't fancy him whether that was down to his fitness or something unseen.

If he goes then I'd expect him maybe back at Queen's Park who are making all the right noises about moving onwards and upwards, from what I've read.

42 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I personally would be disappointed if Roberts didn't sign back up.

It was obvious the manager didn't fancy him whether that was down to his fitness or something unseen.

If he goes then I'd expect him maybe back at Queen's Park who are making all the right noises about moving onwards and upwards, from what I've read.

Agree with this Ammo, bags of energy and a bit of spark that we lack elsewhere in the squad. I actually think Murray probably does quite like him, and was regularly playing him for an hour then pulling him off for a spell around the turn of the year so would hope there's an offer there for him.

For what it's worth I think we'll try and keep the bulk of the squad together - there was a lot of talk about it being a good dressing room this year so think they'll try to keep things steady (God knows some continuity is overdue) and then see what can be done from there depending on budgets, etc. 

Agree with this Ammo, bags of energy and a bit of spark that we lack elsewhere in the squad. I actually think Murray probably does quite like him, and was regularly playing him for an hour then pulling him off for a spell around the turn of the year so would hope there's an offer there for him.
For what it's worth I think we'll try and keep the bulk of the squad together - there was a lot of talk about it being a good dressing room this year so think they'll try to keep things steady (God knows some continuity is overdue) and then see what can be done from there depending on budgets, etc. 

Yeah Roberts is a strange one bit disappointing he never had a bigger impact but maybe like has been mentioned if he got up to speed fitness wise for next year he might play a bigger part. I hope we keep the majority of the squad together also. There is a good feeling built all around the club, you could see the players cared and always put a shift in regardless of the result.

Also see big Gregor Buchanan released wouldn’t have minded seeing him back but Crighton and Fordyce have been quality.

2 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Yeah Roberts is a strange one bit disappointing he never had a bigger impact but maybe like has been mentioned if he got up to speed fitness wise for next year he might play a bigger part. I hope we keep the majority of the squad together also. There is a good feeling built all around the club, you could see the players cared and always put a shift in regardless of the result.

Also see big Gregor Buchanan released wouldn’t have minded seeing him back but Crighton and Fordyce have been quality.

Gregor Buchanan lol

2 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

That is interesting. I liked him, especially at set pieces. Lithgow has also been released by let's not go there

4 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

I liked big Buchanan when he was first with us, always thought he'd have played lower level premier, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened for him. 

The one area we really don't need to much tweaking is the defence, possibly a more natural right back but MacDonald is more than adequate and Fordyce can also fill in there with Kerr going into centre half of duty calls.

I'd love a fully fit Roberts starting in the middle of the park alongside an older head who's maybe dropping down a league (or 2), a solid spine goes a long way, remember Bollans spine of the team Adam, milojevic, Buchanan, Barr, Lister and Prunty, it was pivotal in going something like 1 defeat (to rangers) in 16 games.

If we managed to sign up Smith, Ryan and someone in the middle of the park alongside Roberts I'd be very hopeful of a successfull season....

Currie (hutton) - Crichton - Fordyce - Roberts - AN OTHER - Smith - Ryan (c gal).

A strong spine there for starters at this level.

Just now, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I liked big Buchanan when he was first with us, always thought he'd have played lower level premier, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened for him. 

The one area we really don't need to much tweaking is the defence, possibly a more natural right back but MacDonald is more than adequate and Fordyce can also fill in there with Kerr going into centre half of duty calls.

I'd love a fully fit Roberts starting in the middle of the park alongside an older head who's maybe dropping down a league (or 2), a solid spine goes a long way, remember Bollans spine of the team Adam, milojevic, Buchanan, Barr, Lister and Prunty, it was pivotal in going something like 1 defeat (to rangers) in 16 games.

If we managed to sign up Smith, Ryan and someone in the middle of the park alongside Roberts I'd be very hopeful of a successfull season....

Currie (hutton) - Crichton - Fordyce - Roberts - AN OTHER - Smith - Ryan (c gal).

A strong spine there for starters at this level.

Kurt is Roberts is one of those players that became an instant fans favourire, don't know why though, admittedly he did have a good month in November, since then he looked unfit and disinterested and really hardly featured, I actually think bottom league 1  top of league 2 is his level,  we need to get rid of sentiment and get some players signed who have proven it at this level.

Just now, Passionate said:

Kurt is Roberts is one of those players that became an instant fans favourire, don't know why though, admittedly he did have a good month in November, since then he looked unfit and disinterested and really hardly featured, I actually think bottom league 1  top of league 2 is his level,  we need to get rid of sentiment and get some players signed who have proven it at this level.

Maybe I'm just clouded by the bits he did seem interested. I've been guilty in the past of giving players an easy ride because I think there's "something there".

You may be right, he might be playing lowland league in 3 years time, or he might be released, have a storming season in league 2 whenever it does and end up playing championship with an Alloa or a QOS in 2 or 3 years. I just think (probably hope) that he's got something to offer.

We'll see what happens,but I'd rather have him than the likes of Roy involved.

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

What's Callum Smith like?

A really hard worker, and pretty consistent for a 20 year old. He was more or less an ever present for us (missed 1 game through injury) and I'd happily have him back. Never hid.

If I was looking for a downside it's probably end product, he only managed 6 goals all season - albeit largely from the right wing in a 3 rather than as a striker. Got the feeling this might have been a confidence thing. I'd say he's got the potential to play higher than League 1, but would like to see him come back and hit double figures for us before making the step up.

Damn. 

Pleased for Smith, hes a hard working young player who has gotten one hell of a chance, top flight football after being released by Dunfermline. His end product wasn't always there, but his pace, directness and relentlessness caused a lot of problems, got us up the park and harried and hassled defences and midfields into a lot of mistakes. 

Good luck to him.