The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Lol, that lasted long.

image.png.6da8355708e2d1a810095c84f0a81e1a.png

Papers don’t always ask the right questions.

Everyone has a price but apparently the Board are really enjoying running the Club. They’re ambitious and see us getting back into the top tier within the next few years. As such wouldn’t be looking to give up control of the Club.

Redknapp & McKay might not be looking to buy the Club but doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t different deal to be done. I think there will be a few more twists and turns in this story.

Edited by Tory Boy

2 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Papers don’t always ask the right questions.

Everyone has a price but from what I’ve heard the Board are really enjoying running the Club. They’re ambitious and see us getting back into the top tier within the next few years. As such wouldn’t be looking to give up control of the Club.

Redknapp & McKay might not be looking to buy the Club but doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t different deal to be done. I think there will be a few more twists and turns in this story.

I wouldn't trust The S*n or anything they publish either. 

I don't want Redknapp to fully buy over the club. I truly believe we're onto a good thing with the current owners and we've suffered at the hands of individual owners enough. But as I've said above - He's got money, resources, contacts and if he has a genuine and sincere motivation to be involved then we'd be daft to turn him down or at the very least not negotiate with him and see what he's got to say/offer. 

29 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I wouldn't trust The S*n or anything they publish either. 

I don't want Redknapp to fully buy over the club. I truly believe we're onto a good thing with the current owners and we've suffered at the hands of individual owners enough. But as I've said above - He's got money, resources, contacts and if he has a genuine and sincere motivation to be involved then we'd be daft to turn him down or at the very least not negotiate with him and see what he's got to say/offer. 

Whatever anyone think of Harry, he's a character. I don’t know how much involvement he’d actually have in the day to day stuff but his mere involvement raises the Clubs profile and should add some entertainment.

I’m not sure if it’s Mark or Willie McKay that’s supposed to be involved. But either way they have no shortage of talent on their books. If they’re using us as a way to showcase they’re new prospects to sell on you’d expect/hope it would be a better quality of player coming to the Club.

P.S. don’t know if anyone noticed on the Airdrieonians Facebook page Mark McKay joined the other week.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/max-currie-set-airdrie-transfer-22122339 

I doubt we'll be signing players any time soon but the Daily Record has us as signing Stranraer goalie Max Currie. Very good young keeper. I would take that to mean Scott Gallacher will be away and, not that it officially means anything but, our two young goalkeepers Reece Willison and Andrew McNeil are on the PFA player availability list (as are Arran Ross and Robbie Leighton). 

Certainly a lot of positive reviews of Max Currie going around. A young keeper along side Hutts is probably the way forward. Interesting that the article also suggests a part time deal when as we have mentioned previously, the big deal Miller made in the podcast about having a goalkeeper there full time.

I’d have him back if we were getting the quality of player he brought over at the time. Was brilliant stuff to watch once they got going. Would love to know the full story. His autobiography may be interesting, would be good to get his side of the story.
I've always wanted to hear his side of the story tbh.
As you say, on field, at the time it was incredible, and the fact that 20 years later we're still salivating over them, I'd have a group like that again if it gave us another Broto, Calderon, Sanjuan and Fernandez to talk about for another 20 years.

The football was as exciting as any I’ve seen watching Airdrie, but he didn’t have the money. The company he set up to run Airdrie for half a season left the following creditors list.

Would love to have seen where we’d have got to in the Scottish Cup, but I can’t take Archibald talking about investment all that seriously.

The Creditors

HM Customs & Excise (VAT): (pounds) 8325

Steve Archibald: (pounds) 275,000

HM Customs & Excise: (pounds) 42,291

Peter Day: (pounds) 15,000

Inland Revenue: (pounds) 120,000

Provision for claims not yet received: (pounds) 50,000

Players' unpaid wages:

Antonio Calderon: (pounds) 38,745

Salvador Capin: (pounds) 36,080

Jesus Sanjuan: (pounds) 24,900

Fabrice Moreau: (pounds) 37,000

Provision for four other

players: (pounds) 80,000

Auto Masters Ltd: (pounds) 264

Allsport Medical: (pounds) 185

Automatic Retailing: (pounds) 60

Almet Doors: (pounds) 823

AFS Leasing: (pounds) 298

British Telecom Insolvency Group: (pounds) 431

Caledonian University: (pounds) 194

Claymore Dairies: (pounds) 877

Craigmonnie Hotel: (pounds) 1225

Deep Freeze: (pounds) 276

Fas Productions: (pounds) 603

Greentech Ltd: (pounds) 101

Jay Coaches: (pounds) 1370

Lombard North Central: (pounds) 5357

McGrigor Donald: (pounds) 4340

Parks of Hamilton Coach Hire: (pounds) 1460

Print Warehouse: (pounds) 311

Rock Steady Security Ltd: (pounds) 2177

Scottish Power: (pounds) 81

Scottish & Universal: (pounds) 353

Shevill's Taxis: (pounds) 83

Strathclyde Police: (pounds) 9671

St Andrew's Ambulance Service: (pounds) 576

Umbro International: (pounds) 113

Watson & Philip Foodservice: (pounds) 2046

6 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

The football was as exciting as any I’ve seen watching Airdrie, but he didn’t have the money. The company he set up to run Airdrie for half a season left the following creditors list.

Would love to have seen where we’d have got to in the Scottish Cup, but I can’t take Archibald talking about investment all that seriously.

The Creditors

HM Customs & Excise (VAT): (pounds) 8325

Steve Archibald: (pounds) 275,000

HM Customs & Excise: (pounds) 42,291

Peter Day: (pounds) 15,000

Inland Revenue: (pounds) 120,000

Provision for claims not yet received: (pounds) 50,000

Players' unpaid wages:

Antonio Calderon: (pounds) 38,745

Salvador Capin: (pounds) 36,080

Jesus Sanjuan: (pounds) 24,900

Fabrice Moreau: (pounds) 37,000

Provision for four other

players: (pounds) 80,000

Auto Masters Ltd: (pounds) 264

Allsport Medical: (pounds) 185

Automatic Retailing: (pounds) 60

Almet Doors: (pounds) 823

AFS Leasing: (pounds) 298

British Telecom Insolvency Group: (pounds) 431

Caledonian University: (pounds) 194

Claymore Dairies: (pounds) 877

Craigmonnie Hotel: (pounds) 1225

Deep Freeze: (pounds) 276

Fas Productions: (pounds) 603

Greentech Ltd: (pounds) 101

Jay Coaches: (pounds) 1370

Lombard North Central: (pounds) 5357

McGrigor Donald: (pounds) 4340

Parks of Hamilton Coach Hire: (pounds) 1460

Print Warehouse: (pounds) 311

Rock Steady Security Ltd: (pounds) 2177

Scottish Power: (pounds) 81

Scottish & Universal: (pounds) 353

Shevill's Taxis: (pounds) 83

Strathclyde Police: (pounds) 9671

St Andrew's Ambulance Service: (pounds) 576

Umbro International: (pounds) 113

Watson & Philip Foodservice: (pounds) 2046

Had he managed to conclude a deal, the money Celtic paid for Fernandez and Broto would have covered all of that many times over. Unfortunately, it was not to be

11 minutes ago, AB1974 said:

Had he managed to conclude a deal, the money Celtic paid for Fernandez and Broto would have covered all of that many times over. Unfortunately, it was not to be

Not really.

Celtic paid about 1.5 million for Fernandez and 30K for Broto.

Those debts amount to £760K for six months of operation.

Fernandez and Broto joined Airdrie is 2000 and moved to Celtic in 2003.

Uneducated guess, Archibald would have had to sell a Fernandez every season in order to break even.

Not really.
Celtic paid about 1.5 million for Fernandez and 30K for Broto.
Those debts amount to £760K for six months of operation.
Fernandez and Broto joined Airdrie is 2000 and moved to Celtic in 2003.
Uneducated guess, Archibald would have had to sell a Fernandez every season in order to break even.

Fernandez further developed himself at Livi and was man of the match when they won the League Cup against Hibs.

He was already class, but I don’t think we’d have got anything like that for him. We were also in danger of going down and winning the Scottish Cup!

Fernandez further developed himself at Livi and was man of the match when they won the League Cup against Hibs.

He was already class, but I don’t think we’d have got anything like that for him. We were also in danger of going down and winning the Scottish Cup!

Yeah, it’s all speculation but the evidence suggests Archibald’s business model wasn’t likely to succeed.

Still, the football was absolutely cracking for a wee while. Especially in the last 4 or 5 games when we started to look unbeatable (except when playing Clyde).

I think the gossip at the time was that he was hoping for 750K for a quick sale of Fernandez with a view to backfilling with Nacho Novo.