The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think another one of TWs mistakes was pumping his Hungarian Secretary (Right here, Right now) his missus found out and took home to the cleaners, after that money seemed to be in short supply and his interest waned somewhat,    I bet you wouldn't read that in the Tizer with our intrepid reporter......

Onto more serious matters,  I noticed also that we are going with umbro  next season,   a name from the halcyon past, are they still a big hitter in kit manufacturers these days,  I think Hearts are there only Scottish club at present,  back in the day everybody was umbro.....   Over the past few seasons we have had numerous kit makers and styles. Puma,  Macron, Under Armour, Hummel and Joma,  The one I think we could have milked further was Macron and have become very popular.. Do smaller clubs like ourselves get a lump sum to change manufacturers as often......

Could you blame him for pumping her,she was tidy [emoji1305]

On 07/04/2020 at 21:30, Chapelhall chap said:

If we are to judge liking a team by the home song  I agree on Hearts but I have always liked Raith's Geordie Munro. There was a good updated version on View from the Terrace.  Atmosphere against the team you mention was better than many others, and we did have chances of winning. Take care

Can anyone remember the song Airdrie played before games late 60s early 70s I was extremely young then obviously lol♦️

On 07/04/2020 at 19:45, The clean living guy said:

Pretty bored here and kind of stole from an other thread. Assuming most of us look at Motherwell as our derby and rivals, who ranks next? For me its Thistle. Plenty history and needle there. I look forward to playing the Rovers but don't dislike them and have about the same feelings towards Hamilton as forfar or stranraer. Zero. 

For me it's Motherwell and ONLY Motherwell. I have great memories of the clashes from late 70's onwards, on and off the park.

I used wear a "I hate Motherewell" t-shirt to the games.

Even to this day I take almost as much pleasure seeing Motherwell lose as I do seeing Airdrie win. 

I don't actually hate them but love seeing them lose. 

For me no other team comes close.

7 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

Can anyone remember the song Airdrie played before games late 60s early 70s I was extremely young then obviously lol♦️

I would have been at many games then and if it were not the Beatles I would have tuned out ,although not turned on. I can't remember a specific song over the PA but I will check with my other senior supporters.

11 hours ago, Argent said:

The song I remember is(cigarettes and whisky and wild wild women).It may have been the 1950s

Always sung as "cigareets" by the 1950s generation. It was quite popular and there would have been all three in Airdrie then, although I manged to miss out on the first and last but not the middle one. One of my mates thinks the Bell shaped loud speakers blasted out the "Trumpet Voluntary" instrumental ( composed in the late 17th century so quite appropriate for the toilets under the stand)  whilst another thinks "A Gordon/diamond for me parody£ of Jimmy Shand. We all agreed it seemed to be the same 6/7 songs for weeks on end.

My abiding memory (caveat I could be talking pish)- we played Motherwell at Fir Park 1991 - Johnny Martin sent off mid way through the game, John Watson goes in goals and we still beat them 2-1 -  what a hell of a game.   When John Watson played for Dunfermline against us I really hated him, but give the big fella his due, when he played for us he gave 100%.  Used to love games against Dunfermline and St Johnstone  as well in the 80's because we were always vying with them at the top of the table.   As an aside, really miss watching my team playing - shite or no - and the banter on this place - always looked forward to our "analysis " and  "opinions" after a game - be it under Findus  or Murray . We do disagree a lot, talk a lot of shite, but one thing we have in common is our love for Airdrieonians FC. - good or bad.  I don't know you  guys personally, but keep well - and I hope to see you all at the next Airdrie game.  

2 hours ago, Diamond Sab said:

All I ever remember being played at half time at old Broofield was old scottish country Jimmy Shand type  music perhaps someone in the know from Old Broomfield days could confirm ?

Certainly played regularly, especially the Bluebell Polka-first Scots artist to chart in the modern era (1955) and produced by THE George Martin on Parlophone records ( I hope this Old Broomfield days chap remembers correctly.  Days of a big score board with letters from A onwards so if you had no programme you could not tell any half time scores.  And the slope down to the Railway line as a the Onedin line! The crowd gathering to either cheer or howl at the Pavilion exit.  Glory days indeed.

Would’ve been 3-1 Airdrie Andy Ryan with 2 and Carrick with one

Miss the football on a Saturday [emoji815]️[emoji22]

What a bunch of reprobates. Pumping Falkirk ma baas . I was brought up to watch us pumping you year after year home and away . Wasn’t that long ago it was 8 or 9 nil ! -I miss the Bloomfield games but the club like the town is fjuvked . There will never be a competitive Airdrie team in the league again !

What a bunch of reprobates. Pumping Falkirk ma baas . I was brought up to watch us pumping you year after year home and away . Wasn’t that long ago it was 8 or 9 nil ! -I miss the Bloomfield games but the club like the town is fjuvked . There will never be a competitive Airdrie team in the league again !

Trying a bit too hard there pal. Not the best fisherman in the world are you?

10 hours ago, Stainrod said:

You just need a hug son 

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Certainly played regularly, especially the Bluebell Polka-first Scots artist to chart in the modern era (1955) and produced by THE George Martin on Parlophone records ( I hope this Old Broomfield days chap remembers correctly.  Days of a big score board with letters from A onwards so if you had no programme you could not tell any half time scores.  And the slope down to the Railway line as a the Onedin line! The crowd gathering to either cheer or howl at the Pavilion exit.  Glory days indeed.

Robert Elliot and his dad carried the numbers round to the scoreboard at half time. And he still works on the turnstyles!!

12 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Big talk for a team that hasn't beaten Airdrie once his season. 

One of my first memories was the wee guy who went into the centre circle at half-time with a tombola machine and made the half-time draw. He then wrote the number on a blackboard attached to a stick and walked round the track with it.

15 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Stainedpants, I preferred the matches at Frockville to those at Bloomfield. 

6 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Robert Elliot and his dad carried the numbers round to the scoreboard at half time. And he still works on the turnstyles!!

I never knew his name but I think I know who both are as I pass through the turnstiles at home games.  Had forgotten about the half time draw! 

Give it 5 year pal and we’ll be in Scottish cup finals once again [emoji1305][emoji6]