The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

19 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Must have been a lot of failed fitness tests ,Roberts . Hawshaw and Crighton  seemed  ok when winning reserve cup , you could argue you would be better with  young lads that were on a high than as manager says crocked players  on the bench ,

Lol that's brilliant low on numbers injured players, fans look short term lol that's the strangest excuse I have ever herd for not at least putting one of ur top scorers on if chasing a win in a vital game. Gal must have fell of the bench or something. If they are carrying knocks they should not  be in the squad. Cant wait for Saturdays team I would surprise us all perhaps bring the youth keeper in play big Sean in goal back four of Ryan Carrick at fullback Smith and Gal centrebacks play the three keepers in midfield with Kerr and Fordyce wide Leon through the middle to challenge all the high balls coming his way lol ♦️

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

Lol that's brilliant low on numbers injured players, fans look short term lol that's the strangest excuse I have ever herd for not at least putting one of ur top scorers on if chasing a win in a vital game. Gal must have fell of the bench or something. If they are carrying knocks they should not  be in the squad. Cant wait for Saturdays team I would surprise us all perhaps bring the youth keeper in play big Sean in goal back four of Ryan Carrick at fullback Smith and Gal centrebacks play the three keepers in midfield with Kerr and Fordyce wide Leon through the middle to challenge all the high balls coming his way lol ♦️

I get the irony of the mixed up positions and it does worry me that Murray has gone back to the tinkering on paper team selection. I find it hard to believe his injury tales of woe for managing the last quarter-surely you need to win the last game of this quarter? I also noticed at the end that Carrick and the others went out to do a warm down having sat cold on the bench!  I wonder if Mark Pirrie was actually at the game-will need to wait for the Tiser. As to the line up on Saturday , if Smith was fit I would be tempted to go 4-4-2 but will delay naming my team till Friday. As to fans looking short term is it not the management football cliché that you just take one game at a time?

47 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I get the irony of the mixed up positions and it does worry me that Murray has gone back to the tinkering on paper team selection. I find it hard to believe his injury tales of woe for managing the last quarter-surely you need to win the last game of this quarter? I also noticed at the end that Carrick and the others went out to do a warm down having sat cold on the bench!  I wonder if Mark Pirrie was actually at the game-will need to wait for the Tiser. As to the line up on Saturday , if Smith was fit I would be tempted to go 4-4-2 but will delay naming my team till Friday. As to fans looking short term is it not the management football cliché that you just take one game at a time?

Good question is it more sh.t stirring by our local reporter,  certainly won't be the first time..

If we are struggling for players to sit on the bench but but have a huge squad what's the managers opinion on the boys who won the reserve cup?.   At the start of the season we signed quite a few boys who were "fantastic prospects "  why take players not fully fit with no intention of playing them?  Atleast with a few of the young boys full of confidence from the cup win you know they would give 100% to prove that they were worthy of a place.   I was at the reserve cup and ally roy wasnt our best player but was still given game time. Why have all these players as part of a huge squad but have no intention of even giving them a place on the bench.  

Good question is it more sh.t stirring by our local reporter,  certainly won't be the first time..

I believe he looks on here and the Facebook page, and is using points raised by the fans to form his line of questioning.

The fitness/Injury thing would go some way to explaining it, and yes had Carrick come on so soon after missing games injured only to pick something up and end up missing east fife at home, it would be rightly suggested that he wasn't ready. In that case, though, should he be on the bench? Well, had we taken any of the wee moments we'd had (and Gallagher hadn't lost the plot to give away a stupid penalty) and were at any stage winning the game, I can see how drip feeding those players in for the final 20, 15, 20 or 5 mins to wind down the game and exploit any space on the counter. 

But with time running out and chasing the game, it's hard to see how Roy was the shout. 

Smith aside, the starting line up had been good enough to win 2 on the bounce with 2 clean sheets so I think anyone crying about there not being wholesale changes to the XI are disingenuous and would have been moaning about Murray changing a winning team. Two injuries take two of the subs out of his hands as well, but of all the people to throw on when chasing a game, few if any of us would have plumped for Ally Roy. 

That game has gone now and we need to be keeping our eyes trained on Saturday. Really hope Mccan is okay and that Smith and Carrick are fit to start. 

51 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The fitness/Injury thing would go some way to explaining it, and yes had Carrick come on so soon after missing games injured only to pick something up and end up missing east fife at home, it would be rightly suggested that he wasn't ready. In that case, though, should he be on the bench? Well, had we taken any of the wee moments we'd had (and Gallagher hadn't lost the plot to give away a stupid penalty) and were at any stage winning the game, I can see how drip feeding those players in for the final 20, 15, 20 or 5 mins to wind down the game and exploit any space on the counter. 

But with time running out and chasing the game, it's hard to see how Roy was the shout. 

Smith aside, the starting line up had been good enough to win 2 on the bounce with 2 clean sheets so I think anyone crying about there not being wholesale changes to the XI are disingenuous and would have been moaning about Murray changing a winning team. Two injuries take two of the subs out of his hands as well, but of all the people to throw on when chasing a game, few if any of us would have plumped for Ally Roy. 

That game has gone now and we need to be keeping our eyes trained on Saturday. Really hope Mccan is okay and that Smith and Carrick are fit to start. 

Heard that Mccann was fine was just struggling down his side so it was a tactical change..

38 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Heard that Mccann was fine was just struggling down his side so it was a tactical change..

He was being skint a number of times, I suppose. Well, fair enough. 

16 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

I believe he looks on here and the Facebook page, and is using points raised by the fans to form his line of questioning.

I have no idea whether he was  stirring in the Daily record but the Advertiser should be interesting tomorrow, if it carries the same article. Easy cut and paste job? There was a wee bit of a fallout with the club earlier in the season but I think that was resolved some time ago. If he looks on here for questions etc I hope he politely expresses them.

On 02/03/2020 at 23:26, Ballboy said:

If we are struggling for players to sit on the bench but but have a huge squad what's the managers opinion on the boys who won the reserve cup?.   At the start of the season we signed quite a few boys who were "fantastic prospects "  why take players not fully fit with no intention of playing them?  Atleast with a few of the young boys full of confidence from the cup win you know they would give 100% to prove that they were worthy of a place.   I was at the reserve cup and ally roy wasnt our best player but was still given game time. Why have all these players as part of a huge squad but have no intention of even giving them a place on the bench.  

What’s the point of being on the bench if you are not fit enough to come on , would have thought as you say young lads  or not so young would have been eager to get a chance to step up , would have thought the boys in the sub bench were for the game on the day no in two weeks time,my honest opinion with the overall squad we have with a good manager we would win this poor league ,

On 04/03/2020 at 14:40, Jack Reed said:

What’s the point of being on the bench if you are not fit enough to come on , would have thought as you say young lads  or not so young would have been eager to get a chance to step up , would have thought the boys in the sub bench were for the game on the day no in two weeks time,my honest opinion with the overall squad we have with a good manager we would win this poor league ,

Whatever happened to the lad Kristi Marku,   signed from celtic, young lad highly rated but recovering from a serious injury when we signed him,    

27 minutes ago, Skinheed said:

No.

With two questions there I assume you mean we can play loan players. When we lost out to Alloa in 2017 I think Hutton was on loan from St Mirren and Leitch from Motherwell? However I don't know the rules as such. It won't matter when we are champions ( or finish 5th!)

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Whatever happened to the lad Kristi Marku,   signed from celtic, young lad highly rated but recovering from a serious injury when we signed him,    

Did ask about him a couple of weeks  ago , no response ,your right he was rated ,if he was that bad injured why sign him !!

I'm sure we'll still have our loan players available for the playoffs should we end up in them. Only problem would be if Dunfermline drop down the league and finish 9th, I think in that case we couldn't play Ryan or smith in any game against them. Dunfermline should be safe (8pts clear of 9th and in 5th place themselves) but Scottish football is mad sometimes

32 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I'm sure we'll still have our loan players available for the playoffs should we end up in them. Only problem would be if Dunfermline drop down the league and finish 9th, I think in that case we couldn't play Ryan or smith in any game against them. Dunfermline should be safe (8pts clear of 9th and in 5th place themselves) but Scottish football is mad sometimes

After I posted last night, it did occur to me about the Dumfermline situation. As you say it looks unlikely but it's a mad mad world in our SPFL.

Don't think he was injured when we signed him but was coming back from serious injury. He played for the reserves a couple of times after being signed but I haven't seen mention of him since September/October.

Did ask about him a couple of weeks  ago , no response ,your right he was rated ,if he was that bad injured why sign him !!

Late to the party in terms of last week's game, but also something I've said a couple of times in this thread; Ally Roy is absolutely garbage, genuinely a waste of a wage. We have so many talented young players and the manager persists with him. It boggles my mind. If he had not had a chance, then fine, but he's had game after game after game and has done hee haw each and every time!!