The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

We are now entering the last quarter and I cant help but feel uneasy as it seems Murray is very much still 'experimenting' with the first team. Callum Gallagher must be gutted when ally roy comes on before him. A common theme is not enough is getting provided to the strikers yet Robert's and hawkshaw who are very much attacking midfielders are sitting on the  bench. Yesterday could have been the turning point with raith and falkirk losing and would have gave us half a chance for the title. Frustrating to have such a good team on paper who have proved when the ball is on the deck we can play good football. But the soul is getting sucked of them, and the fans by constantly punting long balls. My 11 year old son could defend long balls when the striker is facing the opposite way. Amateur stuff. We have players in the bench who can make an impact but murray cannot for the life of him figure that out. Rant over and what looks like the title chace over also. 

My mantra is consistency is key for the rest of the season. Of course, when I say consistency I actually mean putting together another 5 game run like we did in Oct/Nov. The problem is, our actual consistency of performances is mid table form. i.e. if we hadnt won those 5 games and had instead picked up points in the way we have done across the rest of the season, we'd have 7 fewer points and be in 6th place. 

1x5 game run

2x2 game run

are the only winning runs we've put together all season.

So really we need to perform at a level that we've only managed once before, and there's 10 games to do it in.

Changes need to be made. Midfield is the clear problem and has been for years. Murray is only the latest manager who has been tasked with sorting it out.

I have my views on the strikers but to be fair unless the midfield is firing then it's almost irrelevant.

If we lose on Saturday then realistically the best we can hope for is to limp in to 4th place.

47 minutes ago, Moon said:

My mantra is consistency is key for the rest of the season. Of course, when I say consistency I actually mean putting together another 5 game run like we did in Oct/Nov. The problem is, our actual consistency of performances is mid table form. i.e. if we hadnt won those 5 games and had instead picked up points in the way we have done across the rest of the season, we'd have 7 fewer points and be in 6th place. 

1x5 game run

2x2 game run

are the only winning runs we've put together all season.

So really we need to perform at a level that we've only managed once before, and there's 10 games to do it in.

Changes need to be made. Midfield is the clear problem and has been for years. Murray is only the latest manager who has been tasked with sorting it out.

I have my views on the strikers but to be fair unless the midfield is firing then it's almost irrelevant.

If we lose on Saturday then realistically the best we can hope for is to limp in to 4th place.

When we went on the wee run had pretty settled team and style clearly the manager has a formation to suit his favourite players in his head at the expense of our top scorer for example problem is its mind numbing to watch the long ball stuff when it's clear for all to see when they play with ball on the deck we create chances. We are not in the habit of losing many goals nor do we look like taking 5 of anyone. At this stage in the season with all to play for to put ur centre half up front with two of your top scorers on the bench is very poor decision making in my view. I think we will get to playoffs with the games we have left but that's being more optimistic than confident ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

45 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

When we went on the wee run had pretty settled team and style clearly the manager has a formation to suit his favourite players in his head at the expense of our top scorer for example problem is its mind numbing to watch the long ball stuff when it's clear for all to see when they play with ball on the deck we create chances. We are not in the habit of losing many goals nor do we look like taking 5 of anyone. At this stage in the season with all to play for to put ur centre half up front with two of your top scorers on the bench is very poor decision making in my view. I think we will get to playoffs with the games we have left but that's being more optimistic than confident ♦️

It’s like the manager has been told ,not play best team ,to leave Roberts on the bench every week is mind blowing ,Gallagher and Carrick and hawshaw out aswell , what does the manger see,championship football is not great standard but well above our team , we would need to start again same as every year now trying to build a team to suit ,however we will not have that worry ,

21 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

It’s like the manager has been told ,not play best team ,to leave Roberts on the bench every week is mind blowing ,Gallagher and Carrick and hawshaw out aswell , what does the manger see,championship football is not great standard but well above our team , we would need to start again same as every year now trying to build a team to suit ,however we will not have that worry ,

I realise not easy job being a manager and as we see on the p&b we all have different opinions yet most of us would agree with you. Not one for not giving a manager a chance but the interviews of late talk about working on sharpness in front of goal, when Gal hardly any game time last couple matches. We all want the manager and players to do well but clearly against the better sides we struggle particularly in midfield and as Moon shows the stats in his posts we have really only had one run of wins thus far. Can only hope we get a run together plenty of winnable games ahead.♦️

2 hours ago, diamond daft said:

We are now entering the last quarter and I cant help but feel uneasy as it seems Murray is very much still 'experimenting' with the first team. Callum Gallagher must be gutted when ally roy comes on before him. A common theme is not enough is getting provided to the strikers yet Robert's and hawkshaw who are very much attacking midfielders are sitting on the  bench. Yesterday could have been the turning point with raith and falkirk losing and would have gave us half a chance for the title. Frustrating to have such a good team on paper who have proved when the ball is on the deck we can play good football. But the soul is getting sucked of them, and the fans by constantly punting long balls. My 11 year old son could defend long balls when the striker is facing the opposite way. Amateur stuff. We have players in the bench who can make an impact but murray cannot for the life of him figure that out. Rant over and what looks like the title chace over also. 

Totally agree. I would love to hear Murray's justification for bringing on Ally Roy ahead of both our top and second top goalscorers when we're chasing the game and desperately in need of a goal. Don't know how many times he needs to come on and do f**k all before he's chased. 

It's an absolute farce that Murray still doesn't know his best team. The amount of times he's changed or experimented with the team and we've dropped points as a result is criminal. Even before yesterday, if we'd won our recent games against Stranraer (when he dropped MacDonald and shoe-horned in just about every striker) and Dumbarton (when he took off Gallagher and Ryan for fucking Ally Roy) we'd be top of the league. There's no doubts that poor team selection and substitutions contributed to costing us that game yesterday. Thomson starting ahead of Gallagher and Carrick? A centre-half being the first substitute when we're 1-0 down? And the aforementioned Roy substitution ahead of much better players? That's nothing but piss poor management. 

Ultimately, our midfield just isn't good enough and it hasn't been the whole season. We're, generally, fine at winning possession and players like Wedderburn, Millar and McKay can usually recycle the ball well enough. But there's no penetration or cutting edge at all. They're not helped by the insistence on playing the long balls to the strikers either. If we are going to do that at least play Gallagher who's the only striker that's got a bit of physicality about him and who can hold the ball up. 

When we had our good run we had a settled team who played some nice football and were effective on the counter-attack. Gallagher was upfront and scoring and Roy was nowhere near the team (nor is he whenever we're winning. What a coincidence...). Time for Murray to revert back to that ASAP. 

Huge game against East Fife next week. Like most weeks there's no reason why we can't win. But lose and we're in big trouble. 

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Totally agree. I would love to hear Murray's justification for bringing on Ally Roy ahead of both our top and second top goalscorers when we're chasing the game and desperately in need of a goal. Don't know how many times he needs to come on and do f**k all before he's chased. 

It's an absolute farce that Murray still doesn't know his best team. The amount of times he's changed or experimented with the team and we've dropped points as a result is criminal. Even before yesterday, if we'd won our recent games against Stranraer (when he dropped MacDonald and shoe-horned in just about every striker) and Dumbarton (when he took off Gallagher and Ryan for fucking Ally Roy) we'd be top of the league. There's no doubts that poor team selection and substitutions contributed to costing us that game yesterday. Thomson starting ahead of Gallagher and Carrick? A centre-half being the first substitute when we're 1-0 down? And the aforementioned Roy substitution ahead of much better players? That's nothing but piss poor management. 

Ultimately, our midfield just isn't good enough and it hasn't been the whole season. We're, generally, fine at winning possession and players like Wedderburn, Millar and McKay can usually recycle the ball well enough. But there's no penetration or cutting edge at all. They're not helped by the insistence on playing the long balls to the strikers either. If we are going to do that at least play Gallagher who's the only striker that's got a bit of physicality about him and who can hold the ball up. 

When we had our good run we had a settled team who played some nice football and were effective on the counter-attack. Gallagher was upfront and scoring and Roy was nowhere near the team (nor is he whenever we're winning. What a coincidence...). Time for Murray to revert back to that ASAP. 

Huge game against East Fife next week. Like most weeks there's no reason why we can't win. But lose and we're in big trouble. 

Not sure position of smith for next week ,but we must start with two up top Gal and Ryan ,we played well against east -fife at home last time ,we bossed them and were winning every second ball ,sick about yesterday ,still feel play our best players in their right positions and we will get a result , not much point on working on our sharpness if manager expects defenders to be as sharp as strikers the clue is in the name’s ,

Saturdays now becomes the latest in a long line of huge games.  I just hope it's not like so many in the line that we haven't turned up for. East fife are on the same points and we really need to stay infront.  With the work rate Smith and Carrick offer I'd say they have to start if fully fit. 

The majority of our goals have come when we attack at pace with Roberts, smith , Carrick.  Carrying the ball or playing it in behind defenders and getting forward.  Its concerning though all the teams around us have scored more.  This situation isnt helped by not playing our main goal threats and no attacking midfielders.  Playing a back 4 with 3 defence minded midfield keeps the goals out and one end but leaves us short in attack.  I agree with what's been said before about going back to how the team started before.  I hope leon is ok for weekend as with eckersly out we dont have left back cover.  Last time that happened McDonald was moved over and McKay played on the right.   I made no secret I think mckays a donkey and should be nowhere near the 1st 11. 

I'd put hutts back in goal too. Maybe the last few weeks on the bench will have given him the kick up the arse he needed.  Goalie gal has only conceded 2 in 6 games but hasn't been worked in most of them and when he has been hes not looked confident at all.

Basically we need to start scoring goals again the only way we are capable of doing that is with attacking players on the pitch.  This long ball pish didn't work last year. Isnt working this year.  It seems the focus is not conceding goals rather than scoring ourselves  even when we score 1st we sit deeper and deeper rather than try to score more . We have a strong defence maybe stop thinking about not losing goals and start scoring some.  Even if we conceded 1 we can still score more and win . 

Deep breath, rant over for now. 

Obviously it's a bit of a two-sided affair, losing when Raith and Falkirk both lose. It means we missed a huge chance to cut the gap and put ourselves right back in the mix, but it also means no further ground was lost. 

If memory serves we haven't lost two on the bounce all season so this would be an awful time to start. One wonders if Gal has spat the dummy out since Ryan took his place on the XI, because it's hard to fathom why he isn't getting more minutes from the bench and we obviously don't know what goes on in training. Hard to fathom not throwing him on when chasing a game though, in the dying embers. 

Roy is quicker, and I suppose the management team might have felt his pace could get in behind a tiring Montrose defence, but still; he has struggled to make an impact from the bench all season (let's not forget his really excellent goal in the last home match against East Fife, though.  Cherry on top of a good win). 

For Saturday, I'd love Carrick and Smith back in. Nevermind the top two, we need to make sure we don't lose our spot in the top 4 this weekend first and foremost. 1-4, 4-0 and 2-2 thus far this season against East Fife, so there ought to be goals. Meaning I've just jinxed it and we're in for a stuffy, frustrating 0-0. 

Edited by AndyDD

7 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Obviously it's a bit of a two-sided affair, losing when Raith and Falkirk both lose. It means we missed a huge chance to cut the gap and put ourselves right back in the mix, but it also means no further ground was lost. 

If memory serves we haven't lost two on the bounce all season so this would be an awful time to start. One wonders if Gal has spat the dummy out since Ryan took his place on the XI, because it's hard to fathom why he isn't getting more minutes from the bench and we obviously don't know what goes on in training. Hard to fathom not throwing him on when chasing a game though, in the dying embers. 

Roy is quicker, and I suppose the management team might have felt his pace could get in behind a tiring Montrose defence, but still; he has struggled to make an impact from the bench all season (let's not forget his really excellent goal in the last home match against East Fife, though.  Cherry on top of a good win). 

For Saturday, I'd love Carrick and Smith back in. Nevermind the top two, we need to make sure we don't lose our spot in the top 4 this weekend first and foremost. 1-4, 4-0 and 2-2 thus far this season against East Fife, so there ought to be goals. Meaning I've just jinxed it and we're in for a stuffy, frustrating 0-0. 

A manager that puts Roy and wedderburn on before Roberts , Gallagher .Carrick  should not be managing at this level ,although wedderburn was no worse than rest on sat ,we will regret it if he plays this sat

30 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

A manager that puts Roy and wedderburn on before Roberts , Gallagher .Carrick  should not be managing at this level ,although wedderburn was no worse than rest on sat ,we will regret it if he plays this sat

What’s your ideal team for Saturday then?

9 hours ago, AndyDD said:

That's a plausible reason if we are winning and can hit on the counter attack. But when you are losing and a team are camped in it makes no sense whatsoever to put that type of player on.

11 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

https://t.co/EQl6Hebuy8?amp=1

At least somebody’s got the balls to actually ask the questions we want the answers to.

Must have been a lot of failed fitness tests ,Roberts . Hawshaw and Crighton  seemed  ok when winning reserve cup , you could argue you would be better with  young lads that were on a high than as manager says crocked players  on the bench ,

25 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Hutton McDonald Fordyce Kerr McCann,Smith Roberts Murray Carrick Ryan Gallagher        !

4-4-2 i’m guessing? I do agree we need a freshen up, think Kerr has done enough to keep his place but can’t say the same for Millar and McKay so agree they should be dropped