The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Not a great idea but if we are still in with a chance it will attract a good crowd.
I’m not so sure.
And just to add to the excitement the Raith game at Starks Park for the 28th Match will have to be rearranged to a midweek due Raith playing in the final of the Tunnocks Cup that weekend....

So basically, 2 of the biggest games of the season potentially are not going to attract as big a crowd as they should because one of them is on the TV and the other will be played midweek.

57 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

I’m not so sure.

So basically, 2 of the biggest games of the season potentially are not going to attract as big a crowd as they should because one of them is on the TV and the other will be played midweek.

I suppose it all depends on what I meant by a "good crowd" and I guess many people have things to do on a Saturday night which would keep them away, and liveTV has always tended to lower the desire to attend. The midweek shift will definitely do that-so I am sure you could be right indeed. I still want us to be in a challenging position whenever they happen.

Just back from Balmoor and posted elsewhere. The team had no changes from last week with Crighton on the bench. It was a 4-4-2 with Smith and Ryan having another good day. The wind was a real nuisance in the game and we never really got much from inevitably playing quick long balls. Ryan had one shot in the first half but we never broke through. We had a lot of long throws but little success from it nor the corners. There was one scare early on when Gallagher dropped an easy catch and it was bodies on the line to block. Peterhead did pass it better against the wind but had no actual strikers other than the advancing Conroy ! The early penalty was a stonewaller if you support Airdrie and as I never actually saw the lead up I will take it. Ryan had to re-spot the ball in that wind but fired it home. That gave us control for almost all of the 2nd half. A great advantage by the Ref and a smashing pass from Keiran Millar( apologies I just watched the highlights and it was not Nat) let Murray drive down the left. His cross broke from the CBs . It was chased by McKay who set up Thomson to score. It was his first goal and he did well as a sub. Once again McKay got an assist and looked ok wide right. His versatility then allowed the midfield to tighten up. Overall I thought everyone was good and the back four were hard to break through-Kerr was very good. Lots of away games to come  but if we can maintain that level and improve at home , then who knows!

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Lack of understanding

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I know there was a bit of talk in the past about what McKay's best position was and whether he was better off in midfield or defence but I think we've now only just found his best role, and that's as a slightly more advanced midfielder rather than a defensive one

My friends are divided on what he offers with some saying he would always start/others thinking he has poor passing skills(until last week and yesterday) but we all recognise his versatility. Most of us would like to see the throw ins varied more. He has contributed more than his twin did. He has now played where Stewart often featured and there is a debate about their relative merits. I was really impressed by Kerr yesterday and Sean might have to wait till Fordyce is suspended after another booking--I think he is near 6? The Montrose game ends the third quarter so a win would keep us in the chase-indeed I think that three points would equal last season's total. Still very tight.

My friends are divided on what he offers with some saying he would always start/others thinking he has poor passing skills(until last week and yesterday) but we all recognise his versatility. Most of us would like to see the throw ins varied more. He has contributed more than his twin did. He has now played where Stewart often featured and there is a debate about their relative merits. I was really impressed by Kerr yesterday and Sean might have to wait till Fordyce is suspended after another booking--I think he is near 6? The Montrose game ends the third quarter so a win would keep us in the chase-indeed I think that three points would equal last season's total. Still very tight.

I've been critical of McKay in the past but thought he was excellent against Clyde last week and it looks like he's had a good game against Peterhead as well so I'm inclined to think a slightly new role has benefited him. Wasn't at yesterday's game but I thought Kerr was excellent last week and I think he was excellent when he was playing at the start of the season as well so I'd definitely keep him in ahead of Crighton (who started the season brilliantly but has been off the boil recently in my opinion) for now. I'm not sure about the situation with yellows and suspensions but in my opinion Fordyce is our best centre half so I hope we don't have to worry about a suspension. In any event I think we have three absolutely fine centre halves at this level so I'm not too worried. Would like to see Kerr and McKay extend their contracts this season at this point as I think they've recently shown their qualities and with both being young I think they've still got improvement in them. If we go on another good run, which we may well, I think we've still got a title challenge in us but the games against Falkirk and Raith Rovers are vital.