The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Your eyesight is better than mine as I did not know who had hit the goalie with that chance.  The famed second balls did not fall to us/or we were not alive to them . As to "that centre forward" he will get his usual warm welcome.  Falkirk were a bit unlucky to lose to Hearts on a horrible night where the camera had to be wiped clear with a shammy regularly!

Falkirk played well what I could see through the rain soaked lens. 

How many corners again this week and we get one clear chance first half seems a bit hit and hope,  bit concerned if the manager is going to work on the strikers sharpness at this stage of the season 

Thought the performance in the first half was better than in recent weeks. Murray had some nice touches and linked up well with Leon, and Millar and Big Nat totally controlled the midfield. Murray put in some cracking set piece deliveries that were just crying out for an Airdrie player to make a connection with. Was an impressive debut overall I thought. Big concern though that despite our dominance, we didn't score or even create that many clear cut chances. If a team with Andy Ryan and Calum Gallagher upfront should have anything it should be a cutting edge. But it's been sorely lacking the last few weeks. I think I read Andy Ryan had passed a late fitness test before the game which maybe explains his relative lack of sharpness. He's not had much luck, and in this and the Raith game, absolutely nothing fell to our forwards. But we need to get better at creating chances through our midfield - only problem is our midfield hasn't been good enough in that regard the whole season. 

Thought we were unfortunate not to get the penalty at the end of the first half. You score that and it totally changes the game and no doubt we'd have went on to win. Would have to watch the second penalty claim back - looked more like a coming together from where I was but a couple of people claiming it was a stonewaller. 

No point in going over old ground RE substitutions and more specifically bringing on Ally Roy. But, while neither of them were having a great game, I'd have been a lot more confident of scoring had Gallagher and/or Ryan been on the pitch ahead of Ally Roy. I like Smith but his touch was garbage on Saturday. I'm sure the conditions didn't help but his was particularly bad. So I knew the game was a bogey when we ended up with Smith and Roy upfront to close the game. 

Gallacher didn't have a save to make but f**k me his distribution is slow. It's fine to play like you're 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go when you're, eh, actually 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go but there was a few times a quick break could have been on and he killed any potential momentum. 

Positive was that we never looked like getting beat the whole 90 minutes. 

MUST win next week. 

I've said it on multiple occasions and I'll say it again, Ally Roy should be nowhere near our team, even the bench. An abysmal footballer. I have no idea why Murray keeps resorting to him.

Baffling. Everyone could see it after a couple of games but he keeps persisting with him off the bench. It’s not like we don’t have other options either.

What has happened to hot prospect  Kristi Marku ,I know he had injury problems before he signed ,got to be 20 year old ,midfielder just what we need badly ,manager used Hawkshaw as example as he played well in reserves and now in first team ,allbeit  on the bench keeping it warm ,

On 11/02/2020 at 11:44, cb_diamond said:

I've said it on multiple occasions and I'll say it again, Ally Roy should be nowhere near our team, even the bench. An abysmal footballer. I have no idea why Murray keeps resorting to him.

There were audible groans, and one guy repeatedly screaming no, when he came off the bench on Saturday. He tries his best but he's just rubbish isn't he? Bringing him on on Saturday seemed nothing more than desperation but Murray obviously sees something in him as he's just about the first sub to come on every week (even ahead of the likes of Roberts and Calum Gallagher). I can't think why. At this point it'd probably even benefit him to have a run of games out the side - it can't be good for his confidence coming on and doing f**k all every week and the fans getting audibly and visibly frustrated at him. He's certainly contributing nothing to the side either. At least when Carrick and Thomson are back we'll have our full contingent of forwards to select from and that should hopefully see him fall down the pecking order. Though knowing Murray it probably won't. It's a shame for Hawkshaw as he's not getting a look in at all despite Roy being the invisible man every week. At this point you'd be as well sticking Pyott on ahead of him and seeing if he can at least contribute something. 

On 14/02/2020 at 21:36, diamondman said:

One way or another, I suspect we will be playing Thistle next season.

I would absolutely love to relegate them in the play-offs though ideally winning ourselves promotion at the same time. 

Well deserved win and if we'd scored 4 or 5 (which we probably should have with some of the sitters we missed!) it wouldn't have flattered us at all. Couldn't fault any of the team today. Gallacher had one save to make all day but it was an excellent one. Calmly collected every cross that came his way too. He makes a difference in that regard. Kyle and Leon were both very good defensively and going forward. Their crosses to Smith (Leon in the first half and Kyle's in the second) were both superb and Smith really should have put them away. Goodwillie never got anything out of Kerr and Fordyce all day. When Kerr's concentrating and just playing as a centre-half rather than trying to be Pirlo, he's a decent player. That being said both him and Fordyce have much better distribution than Crighton. 

Millar was good at pressing and closing down the Clyde midfield and really preventing them from playing. Managed to get forward a few times too but it's a shame he's got no final ball or end product whatsoever haha. Wedderburn had another decent game. Nothing spectacular but did his job. As others have said though, the better teams in this league will be able to exploit his weaknesses. McKay gets a lot of stick but today he showed exactly what he's in the team for. Some cracking runs forward, hit the bar again and got another goal. The long throw was unsuccessful but I'm glad we used it less than we have done previously. And it was worth it for the frothing at the mouth scenes it elicited from the Clyde fans and Allan Moore. Murray had another decent game too. Some good set piece deliveries once again. 

Smith worked hard throughout and linked well with Ryan. Like I said above though he should have buried the two great chances he had. Ryan had a great game. He's looking a lot sharper now and a real threat whenever he gets the ball in and around the opposition's box. He took his goal well (and thank f**k he got it and got it early as he'd been trying too hard the last few weeks to get one) and now that he's got one I think he'll start to bang them in once again ❤️ 

Don't know how Gallagher missed at the end. Thankfully though it was immaterial to the result. 

Enjoyed the pleasantries shared between David Hutton and the Clyde fans at half-time. 

To be honest it was almost identical last week and I was a pessimist as we hadn't won for a while.

Feel much more optimistic as we have a victory under our belts again. Another run of wins is seriously overdue so here's hoping.

1 hour ago, Moon said:

To be honest it was almost identical last week and I was a pessimist as we hadn't won for a while.

Feel much more optimistic as we have a victory under our belts again. Another run of wins is seriously overdue so here's hoping.

Need another win on Saturday heading into the Montrose game and no reason why we shouldn't be looking to get all 3 points. A shame Montrose and East Fife never dropped points on Saturday but as long as we keep taking care of our own business we'll be fine. 

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Great to see Big Nat got into the SPFL team of the week. What a turnaround his career in Airdrie has taken recently, long may it continue.

Oh aye,what a turnaround his career has turned  quicker than he could turn ,who picks those teams Ian Murray 🤣🤣