The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

I'd go with back 4 McDonald, crighton, fordice, McCann.    Midfield Millar with Murray and Roberts more advanced.  Then Carrick, ryan and Smith.    Just because it didn't work last time gallacher played in the wider role.   I think the work rate Smith puts in keeps him in.  Gal hasn't done much wrong but maybe the manager is as frustrated as the rest of us at all the offside. 

McDonald and McCann to give us width ,the new boy Murray a bit of a unknown quantity got to be better than we have been performing though ,Jones will be a danger at corners , free kicks , would like to see Hutts back in starting line up ,

Goal keeper is a tough one.  Last season hutts was outstanding.   This year not so much but the defending has been better so hes not had much shots to save.  I didn't see him do much wrong to merit being dropped.  Can only think it's as has been said about not catching crosses.  However now goalie gal has played the last couple he wasnt really tested against stranrar and although raith scored he did make one good save and only had a couple of shots from distance after that.   

As for the clamour for the new boy to start  its probably because the other midfielders dont create much.  Roberts plays more advanced but the manager seems to see something he doesn't like.  Millar has probably been the most consistent with ball winning and trying to pass to someone who can play.   Nat has his speed issues and McKay in the last few games has been useless.   My personal preference would be to give barrowman a chance and maybe try to promote our own young players rather than give hibs youth game time.  However now hes here why not give him a chance cant be slower than nat or create less than McKay.  

Edited by Ballboy

36 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

McDonald and McCann to give us width ,the new boy Murray a bit of a unknown quantity got to be better than we have been performing though ,Jones will be a danger at corners , free kicks , would like to see Hutts back in starting line up ,

Weather reports could be a factor apparently high winds forecast for weekend.

Will be interesting who starts just hope we go out and get at them from the start it's a game we need to win for sure.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would be open to us trying 352 again with Gal and Ryan up top and Carrick in the number 10 role and MacDonald and McCann providing width. It was chronic earlier in the season but we had an ok run with it and it can't be worse to watch than the recent long ball rubbish.

Who’s your midfield 2 and back 3 if that’s the case..?

Who’s your midfield 2 and back 3 if that’s the case..?

I'm not sure. You'd probably bring Kerr back into the defence and stick with Millar and McKay in midfield but I wouldn't be against bringing Roberts, Murray or Wedderburn into midfield or even Eckersley into a back 3. Hadn't really thought of specifics it was just an idea based on trying to fit in Gal, Ryan and Carrick while maintaining a shape we'd already tried

22 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would be open to us trying 352 again with Gal and Ryan up top and Carrick in the number 10 role and MacDonald and McCann providing width. It was chronic earlier in the season but we had an ok run with it and it can't be worse to watch than the recent long ball rubbish.

It can. We played it last year and it was dire to watch. We played it this year and it was dire to watch. Don't see any reason to think that trying it again will be any different. Why would the long balls stop because we have 3 at the back?

Our back 4 have proven to be pretty good. The front 3 have shown they can cause problems and create goals if they get half decent service. The problem is the midfield. I have no idea how to fix that, but I'd rather keep the defence and attack that we know can work and try and sort the midfield than totally change the entire team to a system which we have already tried and failed with.

6 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

Murray has fuckin lost it, struggling to win so let’s take off our 2 strikers and bring on Roy n Roberts, 360 mins without a goal absolute shite

On way back freezing worst Dunbarton team I have ever seen no threat at all we will get the conditions we controlled the game. Ffs we took both our strikers of and left Smith on yet again pish poor.

16 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

On way back freezing worst Dunbarton team I have ever seen no threat at all we will get the conditions we controlled the game. Ffs we took both our strikers of and left Smith on yet again pish poor.

Agree, what does the manager watch ,

What an advert for summer football that was.   Their goalie did make a couple of decent saves but once again we were poor.  Really have to sort this out before we start slipping down the league table.  Like stranrar the other week dumbarton offered very little.  When it's up to us to go and create chances it just doesn't happen.   Missed carrick badly. 

10 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

What an advert for summer football that was.   Their goalie did make a couple of decent saves but once again we were poor.  Really have to sort this out before we start slipping down the league table.  Like stranrar the other week dumbarton offered very little.  When it's up to us to go and create chances it just doesn't happen.   Missed carrick badly. 

Defo summer football. Did miss Carrick thought the new lad done well for first game. Something not right seem to have lost the spark.

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

Defo summer football. Did miss Carrick thought the new lad done well for first game. Something not right seem to have lost the spark.

It did become freezing but I always prepare for the worst weather as our summer usually is a few days in June ( credit to Billy Connolly for that) and as you say a bit of the spark seems to have gone- a bit like last season after a cup defeat. We can get draws but only wins will do in the next few weeks. I posted elsewhere but Dumbarton just refused to yield in the box areas and we rarely got to the line for cut backs. Murray's subs are still baffling. If we don't beat Clyde it's soapy bubble time. Never mind had a great take away curry and a hot water bottle for my feet. Off to see Falkirk v Hearts

5 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It did become freezing but I always prepare for the worst weather as our summer usually is a few days in June ( credit to Billy Connolly for that) and as you say a bit of the spark seems to have gone- a bit like last season after a cup defeat. We can get draws but only wins will do in the next few weeks. I posted elsewhere but Dumbarton just refused to yield in the box areas and we rarely got to the line for cut backs. Murray's subs are still baffling. If we don't beat Clyde it's soapy bubble time. Never mind had a great take away curry and a hot water bottle for my feet. Off to see Falkirk v Hearts

You do allow for conditions thought Dunbarton were very very poor substitution as you say were mind boggling the manager doesn't help himself. Couple of Raith fans posted last week bout the number of balls we throw into the box maybe some bad luck that nothing falls to the forwards and the one chance in first half big Natt should have burst the net though was good save. Liked the look of Murray did well for first game.  

Can only hope the team clicks next week and hope that centre forward doesn't bully our defence like the game at Broadwood.

You do allow for conditions thought Dunbarton were very very poor substitution as you say were mind boggling the manager doesn't help himself. Couple of Raith fans posted last week bout the number of balls we throw into the box maybe some bad luck that nothing falls to the forwards and the one chance in first half big Natt should have burst the net though was good save. Liked the look of Murray did well for first game.  

Can only hope the team clicks next week and hope that centre forward doesn't bully our defence like the game at Broadwood.

Every week now we are saying ,need to win next week ,I know we bossed that game in bad conditions ,but other teams are beating Dumbarton ,did we play better or was the opposition not so good ,it’s  a worry where the goals are going to come from ,we will have to score at least 2 next week as Goodwillie will likely score . ,

Your eyesight is better than mine as I did not know who had hit the goalie with that chance.  The famed second balls did not fall to us/or we were not alive to them . As to "that centre forward" he will get his usual warm welcome.  Falkirk were a bit unlucky to lose to Hearts on a horrible night where the camera had to be wiped clear with a shammy regularly!

Edited by Chapelhall chap

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Your eyesight is better than mine as I did not know who had hit the goalie with that chance.  The famed second balls did not fall to us/or we were not alive to them . As to "that centre forward" he will get his usual warm welcome.  Falkirk were a bit unlucky to lose to Hearts on a horrible night where the camera had to be wiped clear with a shammy regularly!

As long as he is not putting the ball in our net when we are giving him his welcome ,