The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

You make a very good point on Raith we have people saying how good they were and we should be grateful for what we have got so far. Your point they are organised each player knows their position and they have a game plan. Other than EF away no one has gubbed us it just seems the teams around us  are better organised. And I agree with your point on how we do have some players who can link up. Think we won one clear headed chance from long balls or corners..

I suspect the highball routine was put in place after viewing the Montrose result last week. We were dreadful against high balls into the box, which is where all three of our conceded goals came from. The difference this week was Thomson looked comfortable in the net where Munro was woeful with the high balls.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I suspect the highball routine was put in place after viewing the Montrose result last week. We were dreadful against high balls into the box, which is where all three of our conceded goals came from. The difference this week was Thomson looked comfortable in the net where Munro was woeful with the high balls.

To be honest it's been like this since our manager changed things away to clyde. We had a good run played some decent football till we lost 1 0 at your place. We dont have any big forwards that you could justify this game plan you could see that with the fact we had one clear header at goal from all the corners and punts from 40 yards. 

19 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Same thing happened to them against Clyde with the sex pest

Aye ,not bad in the air but on the deck not so good ,would not bet to much on us next week ,most weeks we lose a cheap goal  ,is it because we are to slow to react looks like it every week , maybe no the keepers that need a change , mind you we have had a hard slog we have to play every sat ,must be hell for the players ,what a load of crap ,

We all have opinions we had more pressure in the first half than 2nd while Raith maybe a better side they are hardly world beaters as for big Natt what exactly did he do certainly never created anything 

The Rovers midfield totally bossed it, as for big Nat he’s finished was rotten with us last season

Aye ,not bad in the air but on the deck not so good ,would not bet to much on us next week ,most weeks we lose a cheap goal  ,is it because we are to slow to react looks like it every week , maybe no the keepers that need a change , mind you we have had a hard slog we have to play every sat ,must be hell for the players ,what a load of crap ,

Big Sean spends more time on that hair than actually defending,Defended him at the start of the season but the last 6-7 weeks he’s been [emoji90]

Anyone who thinks our defence are the issue either doesn't watch us play and/or can't look at the basic stats. We have the 2nd best defensive record in the league, but by far the worst goals for record out of the top 5. Yes they struggle against quicker or better players like MacLean and Goodwillie, that's because they are both better than League 1 but for varying reasons are at a lower level. And any centre back at this level struggles with pace, that's why they are playing at this level. The centre back pairing is as good as we will get at this level, McCann has done really well and McDonald has been okay. If we assume that the full-backs continue to improve with experience I'd be very happy with that back 4 next season. Both goalies are fine, could maybe take a risk and try and get better for next season but just as much chance of us getting someone who is worse.

Not saying the defence is perfect or immune from criticism by any means. But the problem for all to see is the personnel and system from midfield to front. I don't think focusing criticism on a defence that doesn't really warrant it serves any purpose.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Team should be:(and never changes unless injury or suspension!!!)

Hutton

McDonald Crighton Fordyce Mcann

Millar
McKay/Hawkshaw/Murray
Kurtis Roberts

Smith Ryan/Gall. Carrick

1. Tell your two wide Forwards to pull onto the touch line and create some width for runners from the midfield or Full backs so then can under lap

2.If the the 3 forwards play Narrow,Push your full backs up and create some width

3.Play up the channels or through midfield and don’t constantly bypass the midfield

4.Dont Make subs for subs sake think about the pros and cons of a sub,don’t just go “f**k it I’ll throw him on see what happens”

5.Assess teams see what their weaknesses are and play to them,if a team like to high press knock balls in behind if a team plays deep press them high etc

I know it sounds like football manger is the basics if he’s wearing the same jersey as you pass it to him and move it’s not hard f**k sake

15 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Big Sean spends more time on that hair than actually defending,Defended him at the start of the season but the last 6-7 weeks he’s been emoji90.png

See Sean hasn’t played at his best form lately but I still think there is something wrong in the midfield there’s just no link up to the attack like sometimes you begin to think there’s no effort no motivation the we play

1 hour ago, Moonesky said:

See Sean hasn’t played at his best form lately but I still think there is something wrong in the midfield there’s just no link up to the attack like sometimes you begin to think there’s no effort no motivation the we play

Something wrong all over this team ,player seem to play alright when they leave us and play for another club ,

51 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Something wrong all over this team ,player seem to play alright when they leave us and play for another club ,

The pitch... players don’t trust it! 

everyone will say it’s same for both teams but away teams aren’t expected to dominate the ball they just come for a smash and grab and it suits the pitch, people also talk about the midfield being missing but have you seen the amount of times the defence just miss them out without even looking to see if they’re on to play it to...

3 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

The pitch... players don’t trust it! 

everyone will say it’s same for both teams but away teams aren’t expected to dominate the ball they just come for a smash and grab and it suits the pitch, people also talk about the midfield being missing but have you seen the amount of times the defence just miss them out without even looking to see if they’re on to play it to...

The goals we lose are not caused by the pitch ,opposition seem to be a bit quicker to react ,lack of marking ,players shying away from the ball , and maybe even the keeper could have done better on sat ,Hutts was saving them and gets dropped ,I think he got dropped due to posts on here ,aye I was one who said he could command his box better ,think he is the better of the two ,

6 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

The goals we lose are not caused by the pitch ,opposition seem to be a bit quicker to react ,lack of marking ,players shying away from the ball , and maybe even the keeper could have done better on sat ,Hutts was saving them and gets dropped ,I think he got dropped due to posts on here ,aye I was one who said he could command his box better ,think he is the better of the two ,

Doing well enough till changes at Clyde.  What team gets into the 3rd quarter of a season top two manger makes changes 6 points from 6 games we had settled team on the way after poor start now its anyone's guess who plays. There is one common factor in first half dozen games and last 6 to many long balls all game. I like Hutts probably dropped for the number of goals we lose form corners/ crosses.

47 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Not saying the goals are caused by that but our unattractive long ball game could be a lot to do with it 

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

Doing well enough till changes at Clyde.  What team gets into the 3rd quarter of a season top two manger makes changes 6 points from 6 games we had settled team on the way after poor start now its anyone's guess who plays. There is one common factor in first half dozen games and last 6 to many long balls all game. I like Hutts probably dropped for the number of goals we lose form corners/ crosses.

Looking at stats,  during our good run we scored first, defended the lead and used our pace on the break or counter attack, that is the team and formation that works for Murray,  it starts to go pete tong when you lose an early goal, which has happened in every game since our good run,  EF, clyde, Hearts, Raith twice,  we struggle to break teams down when they sit back and hit us  on the break, ,  we are losing bad goals from crosses into the box from wide midfield areas,  nothing that cannot be fixed if we can get the initiative early in games we should begin to get a bit of form.