The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, airdrie_3 said:

What people need to remember is that our players are playing in league one for a reason. The people slating Nat obviously weren’t watching the same game, he changed the game when he came on, much superior player to McKay, hopefully he gets a another chance to prove himself in place of Paul.

He didn't change the game - it stayed 1 nil. Granted he provided a bit of dig but it wasnt anymore testing for us than it was before he came on. 

What preplexes me about Airdrie is that there's clearly a decent team there yet I've never seen it! Strange I know but in the 3 games between us there's barely a glaring chance conceded, hardly a moment when I thought "this is  a goal". It may well be that we've been defensively sound but Airdrie have been on our tails for months till now so there must be something I've not seen. 

I wish you guys well, you love your team like we all do and I remember many battles with a tough Sandison, Jack, Martin, Boyle, Smith, Cooper etc. Great times 

Not sold on the “Airdrie is out of the title race” story. In the second quarter alone you closed about 5 points, it’s all about the run of play and what the other teams do. This league is full of teams whose title hopes are balanced on the thin edge of no injuries. Hell, Falkirk couldn’t beat Stranraer today, and are moving forward with 17 or 18 signed players. I’m sure they’ll sign a couple of more, but if injuries hit them, their push to the front could stall very easily. Look at East Fife, a couple of injuries and the hot team suddenly slid 9 points back. If we both do each other a favor and pound Falkirk twice again, we’ll be running one and two at the end.

10 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

Nat was our only midfielder. We didn’t play through the middle until he was on the park.

We didn't play through the middle when he came on either as he is to far off the pace to be involved. I don't think Ian Murray belives in having a midfield. 

Edited by The clean living guy
Predictive text

well, there is only two possible conclusions.

1. Murray was murdered by a midfielder in a previous life and now has an overwhelming aversion to them.

2. We haven't recruited the players/type of players that Murray has asked for.

35 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

We did play through the middle when he came on either as he is to far off the pace to be involved. I don't think Ian Murray belives in having a midfield. 

Ian Murray believes in raith ,they knew how to go about it ,well high times we learned what to do or get someone that can get us playing as. a Unit ,the last few games we are back playing like last season ,and that’s bad ,not one shot on  target playing at home.

1 hour ago, The clean living guy said:

We did play through the middle when he came on either as he is to far off the pace to be involved. I don't think Ian Murray belives in having a 

Highlights didn't show much through the middle in 2nd half bit more in first. Raith fan summed it up on other thread said we seem to play like we are 1 0 down with 5 min to go may cause some teams probs lobbing long balls but pish to watch. 

12 hours ago, airdrie_3 said:

What people need to remember is that our players are playing in league one for a reason. The people slating Nat obviously weren’t watching the same game, he changed the game when he came on, much superior player to McKay, hopefully he gets a another chance to prove himself in place of Paul.

Now that's a fair point I like many have no problem with that he is better than McKay in midfield but he is really a centre half my issue is Robert's is the only midfielder who will try to get forward to link up and my issue is he seems to be the scapegoat from the manager. 

Well that was pish. Had enough of the ball to potentially do some damage but we once again wasted the game on endless long punts up the park to a defence that was able to mop it up with ease. The most frustrating thing is when we actually kept the ball on the deck, we looked threatening at times and the likes of McCann, MacDonald, Roberts, Carrick and Ryan were able to link up well but it was so sparing. No shots on target in any game in this league is an embarrassment. 

Roberts isn't a world-beater, and maybe myself and others are guilty of over-egging him, but he's the only midfielder capable of passing a ball or driving forward with the ball. Really not sure why he's been made a scapegoat by Murray - there's worse players who get practically a full 90 minutes every week. 

Raith aren't outstanding and they were there for the taking (had we played well). But they were organised, solid and the players were comfortable in their positions and knew exactly what they were supposed to do in the system they were playing. Essentially, they were the exact opposite of us and we looked utterly desperate for the whole second half. Not sure what Murray was playing at with the subs at half-time but I knew the game was lost when he took off Roberts and brought on fucking Ally Roy and Nat Wedderburn.  Wedderburn did have a better game than Paul McKay but he's not going to win you a game - and when you're chasing the game that should be the point. Sure, he can pass to a team-mate within 10 yards of him but playing sideways isn't any better than the aimless long punts up the park. Not to mention he's utterly chronic too. As for Ally Roy - what even is the point? He comes on every week and does nothing - he doesn't even put himself about - but yet he's the first player off the bench every game. Even ahead of Calum Gallagher yesterday. You know, our top goal-scorer Calum Gallagher. And say what you want about Roberts, and his 'fitness', but I'd guarantee he'd have contributed more in that second-half than Ally Roy did. The new boy seems like a desperate 'just sign anybody' signing if he can't get in ahead of that rubbish but maybe that's harsh. By the time Gallagher came on it was way too late. And that's when it was real desperate stuff with no game plan whatsoever except stick as many people upfront as possible and hope something comes off. It just stank of not having a clue how to get anything out of Raith. I like Leon and Kyle, and their delivery can usually be decent, but our set-pieces were dreadful yesterday. Don't think one of them fell to an Airdrie player once. 

I was happy to give Gallacher a shot in goals but don't think he's any better than Hutton. Certainly wasn't any more commanding of his box or more willing to come out for crosses. Slow distribution and he should have done better at the goal (would Hutton have saved it?). 

I still think we'll win enough points, and other teams will drop enough points for us to make the play-offs. But the title is definitely gone. That being said, it's a must win game next week. The next three games are all winnable (Dumbarton, Clyde and Peterhead) and we need to be looking to get as many points as possible from them (9/9 TBH). After that it's Montrose which could be a huge game. Need to win next week and put another run of results together. 

And for what's it worth, I don't buy into the whole 'Colin Cameron is/was the brains behind the operation' theory. It's the same thing that was spouted about his time at Dumbarton with Jack Ross that was proven to be untrue. Sure, Cameron becoming part of the coaching staff was a definite upgrade on Fitzy, as is having a full-time assistant manager in general, but I'm not convinced our upturn in form was to do with Cameron coming in rather than finding and playing our best, and a settled, team. Certainly don't think the last few results have anything to do with a change in the Murray/Cameron relationship either (someone on Facebook was saying we didn't win last week because Cameron was sitting down FFS). He was his usual animated self yesterday and even picked up a booking for his troubles (we must have the most management team bookings in the country). Bare in mind as well it was Cameron who was in the dug out for the Clyde game which didn't exactly go well. So I don't think he's the brains of the operation or anything like that but I am happy to have him on the management team. 

28 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Well that was pish. Had enough of the ball to potentially do some damage but we once again wasted the game on endless long punts up the park to a defence that was able to mop it up with ease. The most frustrating thing is when we actually kept the ball on the deck, we looked threatening at times and the likes of McCann, MacDonald, Roberts, Carrick and Ryan were able to link up well but it was so sparing. No shots on target in any game in this league is an embarrassment. 

Roberts isn't a world-beater, and maybe myself and others are guilty of over-egging him, but he's the only midfielder capable of passing a ball or driving forward with the ball. Really not sure why he's been made a scapegoat by Murray - there's worse players who get practically a full 90 minutes every week. 

Raith aren't outstanding and they were there for the taking (had we played well). But they were organised, solid and the players were comfortable in their positions and knew exactly what they were supposed to do in the system they were playing. Essentially, they were the exact opposite of us and we looked utterly desperate for the whole second half. Not sure what Murray was playing at with the subs at half-time but I knew the game was lost when he took off Roberts and brought on fucking Ally Roy and Nat Wedderburn.  Wedderburn did have a better game than Paul McKay but he's not going to win you a game - and when you're chasing the game that should be the point. Sure, he can pass to a team-mate within 10 yards of him but playing sideways isn't any better than the aimless long punts up the park. Not to mention he's utterly chronic too. As for Ally Roy - what even is the point? He comes on every week and does nothing - he doesn't even put himself about - but yet he's the first player off the bench every game. Even ahead of Calum Gallagher yesterday. You know, our top goal-scorer Calum Gallagher. And say what you want about Roberts, and his 'fitness', but I'd guarantee he'd have contributed more in that second-half than Ally Roy did. The new boy seems like a desperate 'just sign anybody' signing if he can't get in ahead of that rubbish but maybe that's harsh. By the time Gallagher came on it was way too late. And that's when it was real desperate stuff with no game plan whatsoever except stick as many people upfront as possible and hope something comes off. It just stank of not having a clue how to get anything out of Raith. I like Leon and Kyle, and their delivery can usually be decent, but our set-pieces were dreadful yesterday. Don't think one of them fell to an Airdrie player once. 

I was happy to give Gallacher a shot in goals but don't think he's any better than Hutton. Certainly wasn't any more commanding of his box or more willing to come out for crosses. Slow distribution and he should have done better at the goal (would Hutton have saved it?). 

I still think we'll win enough points, and other teams will drop enough points for us to make the play-offs. But the title is definitely gone. That being said, it's a must win game next week. The next three games are all winnable (Dumbarton, Clyde and Peterhead) and we need to be looking to get as many points as possible from them (9/9 TBH). After that it's Montrose which could be a huge game. Need to win next week and put another run of results together. 

You make a very good point on Raith we have people saying how good they were and we should be grateful for what we have got so far. Your point they are organised each player knows their position and they have a game plan. Other than EF away no one has gubbed us it just seems the teams around us  are better organised. And I agree with your point on how we do have some players who can link up. Think we won one clear headed chance from long balls or corners. Frustration comes from doing so we to get where we are then all the changes that we dont know what's going to happen nex. Including the Hearts game that's 1 goal in 4 games.

Roberts ain’t great but he’s the only player we’ve got that can drive out and link up with the strikers take him off and we fall to bits

17 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Must admit I thought Fordyce and Crighton were ran ragged by McLean, like two buses turning!

think they do well against big physical strikers but struggle with the smaller more mobile type!

When you look at the size of our squad the number of young players reserve team in a final yet none apparently ready to break into the first team w hile our rivals have gone for less players and more experienced players.

4 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

When you look at the size of our squad the number of young players reserve team in a final yet none apparently ready to break into the first team w hile our rivals have gone for less players and more experienced players.

Reserve team are pish mate 😂