The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Wasn't expecting a win, but 5-0 is an extremely poor result given the state of Hearts at the moment. I didn't have the time to go in today so managed to avoid this mauling. I hope Murray & co now know where the weaknesses are in the team and sort it out before the end of the transfer window.

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Stuart Millar was on the podcast less than a fortnight ago talking about how he wasn't properly fit. I know today was tactical but my mention of him is in relation to our general midfield issues, rather than just today.

Ok - out of context - but you have stated Roberts "STILL isn't fit enough" and that its a "disgrace".   Can you put meat on the bones?  Is he still not fit? 

4 minutes ago, G_H said:

Wasn't expecting a win, but 5-0 is an extremely poor result given the state of Hearts at the moment. I didn't have the time to go in today so managed to avoid this mauling. I hope Murray & co now know where the weaknesses are in the team and sort it out before the end of the transfer window.

It wasn't a "mauling".  Poor but not a "mauling" - but as you weren't at the game and just looking at the scoreline I can understand why you might think it was.

15 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Think Murray made a mistake effectively reverting back to the 3 at the back we use earlier in the season. McCann and McDonsld were too high up ran Hearts realised they could get in behind the full back in the 2nd half and took full advantage. Easy in retrospect but 4-5-1 might have been better and try to choke the game for a replay.

Perhaps trying to be too clever putting Kerr in  so McCann and McDonald could push on. But Kerr has being playing well so I can understand the logic. Just didn't work.

16 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Ok - out of context - but you have stated Roberts "STILL isn't fit enough" and that its a "disgrace".   Can you put meat on the bones?  Is he still not fit? 

You'd assume so, seeing as it was a fortnight ago and he'd had 5 months at that stage to get fit! He's played 17 times and had been a sub or subbed a large number of them. It's down to fitness, Millar has said so directly. That's not good enough is it? It's not really a defendable position?

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

You'd assume so, seeing as it was a fortnight ago and he'd had 5 months at that stage to get fit! He's played 17 times and had been a sub or subbed a large number of them. It's down to fitness, Millar has said so directly. That's not good enough is it? It's not really a defendable position?

Millar was speaking about earlier in the season - not regarding the last month or so. He was taken off at Kirkcaldy because he was clattered,  the next game because he was recovering from that ,the past few games because he wasn't making any impact.  But not because of fitness - unless you know otherwise?

Poor poor goals to concede didn’t think the back 3 dominated towards the end, felt like hearts suffocated us in possession! Thought smith done well and Millar tatted all day, Kerr done okay for being his first game in god knows how long in a new position, the league is our main priority and today was a good day out for the fans and a bit of a pay day for the club.

Big push now and we can win this league!!

Edited by Stevo1968
Wrong spellling

17 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

unless you know otherwise?

To be fair I don't. It's been quite clear for the vast majority of the season that there have been fitness issues. Roberts is a cracking player, easily our best attacking midfielder. But he hasn't had nearly the contribution he could, or indeed should, have had. It's not like he's a young laddie either. He's in his mid 20s 

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Naw

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

It’s a strange one with 1/2 a game Roberts ,as you say he is a good player ,

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

It’s a strange one with 1/2 a game Roberts ,as you say he is a good player ,

According to the press, we are looking at Steven Boyd ex accies, East fife,  a striker / attacking midfielder an excellent player for this level, don't know if any truth in it, hope so as the only way to win this league is by scoring goals.

Posted this before I caught up with what others said and there was no need to rush for an early viewpoint. Thought we might do something and maybe not as defensive as Stranraer last night but the early hearts goal probably made it too difficult. I wondered about the 3-4-3 switch at the start and I can see that Murray might have wanted to have someone picking up Naismith but that was oot the windae   from then on. Could not see how the first goal went in but we did come back into , mainly due to Smith and Mcdonald  but it looked like the usual shys/corners for chances. Hearts might well have got a 2nd when Hutton charged out, so there was still hope at half time. That vanished in the 2nd half as Hearts simply controlled all the ball from back to front. They just were quicker and better passers and used the width to break through regularly. The 2nd goal was a great shot and that was that really.  They kept going forward and it was no surprise they got 5. The positives on the day were that Callum Smith did have a better game and 3-4-3 can be scrapped as overthinking the game. Naismith is still an international player and we never really coped once they got going . It's the League that matters so we will absorb the lessons and the revenue. Great support for the side and hope some come to see Stranraer's 9 man bus parking next week

23 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

No changes to team if Roberts is fit. If he is out then Wedderburn will be in to let McKay have a roving attacking display. I suspect it will be the very common 2-1 score but it could be either way! Hope I enjoy it

I did enjoy it till the 2nd goal went in. Good to see my 2-1 prediction was mince as usual and my line up was even more wrong

3 hours ago, 2lgm said:

Think Murray made a mistake effectively reverting back to the 3 at the back we use earlier in the season. McCann and McDonsld were too high up ran Hearts realised they could get in behind the full back in the 2nd half and took full advantage. Easy in retrospect but 4-5-1 might have been better and try to choke the game for a replay.

Agree with that. Kept getting down the sides of our centre backs/in behind the full backs. 2 goals came from it and plenty other chances. I think a narrow back 4 would have been better defensively. On the flip side Gallagher would probably have ended up being even more isolated than he was if we had played the usual system.

Probably worth a try from Murray so not too fussed, but hopefully that's the last we see of 3 at the back for the foreseeable future!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

The result seemed harsh today.

I watched the Stranraer game and, though they never posed a threat, Stranraer didn't look too bad a side. I hope Stranraer aren't buoyed by their performance and your players despondent from today's result, as you've had a good season so far. I'm hoping you get a good result next Saturday, and if so I quite fancy attending the Raith Rovers game.

Just out of interest, can I buy tickets on the day, or do you have cash turnstiles? I know you've got a big ground and getting a seat shouldn't be difficult, with all due respect, but I don't want to get to the game only to have to queue to buy a paper ticket and then queue again at the turnstiles. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agree with that. Kept getting down the sides of our centre backs/in behind the full backs. 2 goals came from it and plenty other chances. I think a narrow back 4 would have been better defensively. On the flip side Gallagher would probably have ended up being even more isolated than he was if we had played the usual system.

Probably worth a try from Murray so not too fussed, but hopefully that's the last we see of 3 at the back for the foreseeable future!

Poor Hearts team poor defending poor team selection long ball but down the channels strange substitutions. Did you  all stay till the end fantastic support that's what hope does amazing fans.... 

Edited by Eric the half a b

35 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Poor Hearts team poor defending poor team selection long ball but down the channels strange substitutions. Did you  all stay till the end fantastic support that's what hope does amazing

There is one thing a quality single malt gives you it's the realisation it's not just today we have been out of sorts the form over the last 5 games has not been great and if Robert's is not fit to play we have serious problems even if he allegedly doesn't like training... 

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

The result seemed harsh today.

I watched the Stranraer game and, though they never posed a threat, Stranraer didn't look too bad a side. I hope Stranraer aren't buoyed by their performance and your players despondent from today's result, as you've had a good season so far. I'm hoping you get a good result next Saturday, and if so I quite fancy attending the Raith Rovers game.

Just out of interest, can I buy tickets on the day, or do you have cash turnstiles? I know you've got a big ground and getting a seat shouldn't be difficult, with all due respect, but I don't want to get to the game only to have to queue to buy a paper ticket and then queue again at the turnstiles. Thanks.

You can pay at the turnstiles on entry.  

After the draw was made if anyone seen the results and premier league side beat a league 1 side 5-0 nobody would be very surprised.   So losing against a premier team isn't the end of the season like some seem to be making out. The fact we went into this game with some belief of an upset shows how far we have come from the start of the season.  My only disappointment from the game was the defending has been the same for the last few weeks.  Lessons haven't been learned.   Sean crighton has been a contender for player of the year up until the last few weeks.   Its has not just been him though.   A quick counter attacking team has to try to win the ball has high up the pitch as possible.   Over the last few weeks our defence have returned to backing off and letting players run with the ball.   This has cost goals.  It seems more like some players wait and pretty much watch to see what the other team are going to do.  If the manager doesn't like/trust roberts or hawkshaw then get an midfielder in who can carry the team up the pitch.  4-3-3  has been our most successful formation but having 3 defensive minded players in that position doesn't work.  If we dont have the funds then let some of the reserve boys go on loan or leave.  Sounds a bit harsh but having such a big squad and only a few reserve games left this season isnt going to help any of them.   Looking at the big picture from the start of the season we are where we want to be.  If we are going to challenge for the top position in the league we still have to improve.  If the people making to decisions are happy with where we are then dont expect anymore players to come in.   Disappointing to lose 5 but the league is where our focus should be anyway.  Just hope the heads dont drop from players or fans.  Some of those who came today I hope come nextweek and the players can see we are still behind them.   Still a long way to go in the season.  

Edited by Ballboy

Though it would have been nice to have got through to the next round, the priority for us has to be to get into the promotion play offs ,if not to actually win the league which would be a bonus. I am putting yesterday's result down to a "bad day at the office" and it will be forgotten in no time at all if we perform well in the league.

I think the important thing is that we don't totally collapse like we did last season after the Celtic game. That's been my main concern all week.

But Murray has a job on his hands as the recent form has been poor, we've rightly been pushing through it as a fanbase but a quick upturn is required to even get the play offs (I don't doubt we will get them) as current form is bottom half of the league stuff.

Thought Smith looked more like his old self yesterday which bodes really well.

Edited by Moon