The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Team and score predictions then?

I feel like Murray will throw a spanner in the works somewhere in the 11 but not sure where it will come from.? There’s no pressure on us and I hope it’s been drilled into the players that’s the case!

No changes to team if Roberts is fit. If he is out then Wedderburn will be in to let McKay have a roving attacking display. I suspect it will be the very common 2-1 score but it could be either way! Hope I enjoy it

Team and score predictions then?
I feel like Murray will throw a spanner in the works somewhere in the 11 but not sure where it will come from.? There’s no pressure on us and I hope it’s been drilled into the players that’s the case!
I think we've got to go with the team thats delivered the most success this year, Roberts, Carrick etc.
As much as Smith's been off the boil a bit, I'd still rather he started than Roy, as even on Smith's bad days, he troubles defenders far more than Roy ever will.
I'm heading through in hope more than expectation and I'd love the weans to have a day to remember from everything from the journey through right to the result.

Wasn't expecting much. Four of the five goals avoidable which was disappointing but on the positive , cash for the club, great support and on a personal level quality time  for me and my boy ( his first game was Arbroath 7- Airdrie 1 , so  he's hung on in there).

20 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Get a firm grip of yourself. Are you sure " supporting" Airdrie is for you?  

20 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Get a firm grip of yourself. Are you sure " supporting" Airdrie is for you?  

Same support next week then ,beginning to wonder if I am sure or not after over 50 year ,can you give me any more advise  never to old to learn 

That was crap today. A rotten performance with very little fight. The fans were great, the players bottled it big time. Of course we won't have all those fans back next week. Today's support was full of part timers and glory hunters, it's no big deal, same as any wee provincial club. Need to pick things up for the league, which was always the priority. I actually hope we can get another midfielder in this window as it's our real area of weakness. The fact that Roberts STILL isn't fit enough is a disgrace. He's a cracking, cracking player but the fact he's being paid to be a professional sportsman and can't even get his fitness up to scratch in 6 months is a nonsense.

15 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

That was crap today. A rotten performance with very little fight. The fans were great, the players bottled it big time. Of course we won't have all those fans back next week. Today's support was full of part timers and glory hunters, it's no big deal, same as any wee provincial club. Need to pick things up for the league, which was always the priority. I actually hope we can get another midfielder in this window as it's our real area of weakness. The fact that Roberts STILL isn't fit enough is a disgrace. He's a cracking, cracking player but the fact he's being paid to be a professional sportsman and can't even get his fitness up to scratch in 6 months is a nonsense.

Roberts wasn't playing today not because of fitness but because of tactics - Kerr coming in to bolister the defence. Didnt work - but nothing to do with Robert's fitness.

17 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

It’s a strange one with 1/2 a game Roberts ,as you say he is a good player ,

1 minute ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Roberts wasn't playing today not because of fitness but because of tactics - Kerr coming in to bolister the defence. Didnt work - but nothing to do with Robert's fitness.

Stuart Millar was on the podcast less than a fortnight ago talking about how he wasn't properly fit. I know today was tactical but my mention of him is in relation to our general midfield issues, rather than just today.

Think Murray made a mistake effectively reverting back to the 3 at the back we used earlier in the season. McCann and McDonald were too high up and Hearts realised they could get in behind the full backs in the 2nd half and took full advantage. Easy in retrospect but 4-5-1 might have been better and try to choke the game for a replay.

Midfield wise we have:

Miller-dependable and reliable but not a match winning kind of player.

McKay-really poor for me, that long throw can get in the sea also.

Roberts-great technique but shocking fitness

Wedderburn-very, very, VERY limited, good passer, but slow as a week in jail.

Kerr-untested in midfield. Technically very good, but prone to bombscare moments.

Hawkshaw-I really like Dean, but Murray very clearly doesn't.

Edited by cb_diamond