The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

McCann was interviewed online after Saturday’s match and the interviewer said was he happy to be with Airdrie to the end of the season which obviously he replied yes. However, this does not necessarily mean that he has been released by Hamilton and signed officially for us. It’s  possible that his loan period has been extended.

It hasn't been confirmed on the official website yet but Stuart Millar did say on the OTL podcast he'll be signing for us permanently. I guess it's just a matter of waiting until all the paperwork is complete but I doubt he would have said that publicly if it wasn't happening, especially after the Leighton McIntosh fiasco in the summer.  

Aye very good business tying up Gal and McDonald as well, gives the players a boost as well and a settled bunch is a happy bunch. So far so good, this window. Going to become very good tonight, it seems. 

Exciting times, for a change. Real reasons for optimism this year, which is refreshing for us. 

Andy Ryan going no place ,in local paper Crawford said he trained with the the team and is available for selection ,don’t know what to think ,thought it was a done deal !!!sick sick 

Aye but Sir Iain Russell said it’s true so it must be!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/striker-andy-ryan-sent-cheeky-21230261.amp?

I think that some fans are getting overexcited about the possible return of Andy Ryan, if it happens. He had a wonderful season with us and was brilliant. However, I think it unlikely that he would perform at the same level if he comes back. He has had a number of Injuries and he is severely lacking in game time. I certainly think we do need another striker and I personally would welcome him back. However, those who expect him to continue as he left off are likely to be disappointed.

I think that some fans are getting overexcited about the possible return of Andy Ryan, if it happens. He had a wonderful season with us and was brilliant. However, I think it unlikely that he would perform at the same level if he comes back. He has had a number of Injuries and he is severely lacking in game time. I certainly think we do need another striker and I personally would welcome him back. However, those who expect him to continue as he left off are likely to be disappointed.

Booooooo

1 hour ago, waysider said:

I've had reservations about it but have changed my mind over the last few days. If he's available I'd MUCH rather have him for us than against us and it would give the club/fans a real boost.

Also, even if he only gets half a dozen goals - which is more than I can see Roy getting - it could make a 12 point difference turning draws into wins. I think that's how we have to view new signings now - how many points better off will we be if they join? (Big Nat gained us 2 at the weekend and I'd fancy Andy Ryan to have a bigger impact than that!)

The guy was a match winner for us before and with our current front 3 quite flexible he would give us competition, talent and flexibility across those positions. 

I think that's the right approach.  The question isn't, will he set the heather alight and play like he did before? but can he get us more goals than we would get without him?  I think the answer to the first question is "probably not", the answer to the second, "highly likely". 

4 hours ago, waysider said:

We have never had a striker since he left 

Aye, we're essentially in a position where the current squad has done well enough to have us up and well in the title fight, so you're looking to hold on to those players and see if the squad as a whole can be strengthened and enhanced here and there to go that step further or at least solidify that position in the top four. 

That was a freakishly good season, nobody should expect that, but it is reasonable to expect him to enhance the squad and increase the overall number, not to mention quality, of our options in the forward area. 

Some of the expectations are obviously very high, and it's unlikely he'll hit the ground running and be the same player as last time, there is a reason (not really sure what mind you!) he is having to drop back to this level. At the very least though he would be someone who could come on for the last 20 minutes to replace/play alongside Gallagher and be a goal threat. Carrick and Smith have been great this season but neither are goalscoring central strikers in the way Gallagher and Ryan are so when Gallagher comes off we don't have any real options. On Saturday we moved Smith through the middle which I don't think is a viable option longer term, he just doesn't score enough goals. With Thomson and Roy we would also have decent back-up options for Smith and Carrick. We'd essentially have 2 players for each position across the front 3. The league is so tight this year that pot luck is going to have a huge influence in terms of injuries/suspensions. The more options we have the better.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever