The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Rumours that Brian Rice thought he was too small to make it at SPL  level(don't believe this myself).If true,then it will come back to haunt us.

Not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog which matters. And there is plenty of fight in young McCann. Although not the tallest laddie he wins a surprising amount of aerial challenges and even when he doesn't the opponent isn't getting a free header. Your loss is definitely our gain.

Happy New year to all*

*Tories excluded.

On 30/12/2019 at 14:18, AndyDD said:

Really hoping Gal can get on the scoresheet soon as well, last couple of games he has looked shorn of that self belief he had imbued in himself. 

Looked well off it on Saturday in the second half and no really anyone complaining when he came off, which tells its own story. 

Is there a problem with Gal being used as a target man in a 4-2-3-1 when that is not really his game. He looks to me like a penalty box player, rather than someone who'll hold the ball and bring others into play.

Our system works a lot better when Carrick Smith and Roberts get up alongside Gal and even better when the full backs get forward into the wide areas to cross ball, but we're not seeing that too often and Gal is being isolated with hopeful punts up to him. Raith and Clyde both sat back leaving little space for us to attack other than on the break. Falkirk provided more space in the first half last week but in the second half the 3 were pushed back and we ended up 4-5-1, and Gallagher naturally faded. 

I don't think Roy is the answer here. Maybe a target man is needed if we are going to need the out of a punt up the park, rather than passing so that the attacking unit moves up the park together to support Gal

Is there a problem with Gal being used as a target man in a 4-2-3-1 when that is not really his game. He looks to me like a penalty box player, rather than someone who'll hold the ball and bring others into play.
Our system works a lot better when Carrick Smith and Roberts get up alongside Gal and even better when the full backs get forward into the wide areas to cross ball, but we're not seeing that too often and Gal is being isolated with hopeful punts up to him. Raith and Clyde both sat back leaving little space for us to attack other than on the break. Falkirk provided more space in the first half last week but in the second half the 3 were pushed back and we ended up 4-5-1, and Gallagher naturally faded. 
I don't think Roy is the answer here. Maybe a target man is needed if we are going to need the out of a punt up the park, rather than passing so that the attacking unit moves up the park together to support Gal

It’s actually 4-3-3 not 4-2-3-1 just the Smith and carrick come back when defending but personally I agree with you,Keep Smith or Dale up the park and give Gall and bit of support instead of him trying to feed off scraps

I suppose it's largely about balance. We set ourselves up as a bit of a counter attacking side giving the pace at which we can turn a side and it works when your forwards are taking as many chances as Gal and Dale Carrick have. 

Gal hasn't scored in the last two games but Dale has, so hardly a drought. It's just that if we allow ourselves to be pushed back too deep and too often, ala most of the second half on Saturday, launching effective counter attacks becomes more difficult and Gal gets starved of the ball. 

At Broadwood we were just pretty rubbish, but Gal gets a golden chance to equalise during our only good spell in the game and fluffs it. Apart from that we offered very little and created very little. One chance for Smith when we went up our left flank was about it. 

So, if we keep Smith or Dale up the park with Gall whilst the rest of the side struggle to get it off the opposition or hold it away from the opposition, we are effectively a man short. That is what happened in the last two games. We struggled to get it off Falkirk second half and when we did we didn't keep it, so sensibly smith and Dale came back and dug in, but the consequence was Gal was more isolated. 

The better our out and out centre mids win and retain the ball, the more licence Smith and Dale have to get up about Gal. Some credit has to go to the two opponents in our last two games and some of it is about our level dropping, particularly at Clyde. All that being said, Saturday is the only time Gal hasn't really had a chance to take, unlike in the clyde game where he didn't quite make the right connection so it' not like he is being completely starved. Cannae score all the time. 

Show the right attitude tomorrow and we'll avenge the defeat when last Forfar were up and kick the year off wi 3 points as we march on. 

Edited by AndyDD

I can't see the Andy Ryan chat being anything other than wishful thinking, and in some ways I'd be reluctant to 'go back' as it were. But, if he were to sign and was as good or better than he was last time, that would be a genuine game changer. Gallagher, Carrick and Smith are all good players but none of them have the same ability to score from nothing or take the game by the scruff of the neck and win it solely by themselves like Ryan did/does. Games like last week against Falkirk would turn into wins, defeats against the likes of Clyde would turn into draws etc. Would be a huge signing. With Cowan and Reilly away here's hoping for some signings regardless. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I can't see the Andy Ryan chat being anything other than wishful thinking, and in some ways I'd be reluctant to 'go back' as it were. But, if he were to sign and was as good or better than he was last time, that would be a genuine game changer. Gallagher, Carrick and Smith are all good players but none of them have the same ability to score from nothing or take the game by the scruff of the neck and win it solely by themselves like Ryan did/does. Games like last week against Falkirk would turn into wins, defeats against the likes of Clyde would turn into draws etc. Would be a huge signing. With Cowan and Reilly away here's hoping for some signings regardless. 

No smoke without fire, I think it is true ,would hope it is in place for east fife game ,to have a  Ryan and Gallagher up front would be a threat to any team in this league ,

No smoke without fire, I think it is true ,would hope it is in place for east fife game ,to have a  Ryan and Gallagher up front would be a threat to any team in this league ,

The only fire is from a lot of the fans who are in love with Andy Ryan it would seem. He’s not been getting his game with Dunfermline, what’s to say he would be the same player if he did come back.

6 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

The only fire is from a lot of the fans who are in love with Andy Ryan it would seem. He’s not been getting his game with Dunfermline, what’s to say he would be the same player if he did come back.

Weird how this rumour hasn't broke on the fans Facebook site,  Typical Pie and Bovril  wishful thinking,    Sincerely hope I am wrong.......

Just now, Spanish Armada said:

It is on the fans Facebook site....

Ok you seem more in the know, then myself,   as I say I sincerely hope this rumour is true,  also think we require a creative midfielder someone like Declan Glass who we had last year on loan.......   

Ok you seem more in the know, then myself,   as I say I sincerely hope this rumour is true,  also think we require a creative midfielder someone like Declan Glass who we had last year on loan.......   

We need a ball winning midfielder not a creative one,only person you would drop to play this “creative midfielder” is Kurtis Roberts and he would be the first names on my teamsheet but if we do sign Andy Ryan,you’ve got to look at it is he better than Callum Gallagher? Yes! Is he better than Ally Roy Definitely Yes! It would be a real statement of intent if we do get him back on loan

We need a ball winning midfielder not a creative one,only person you would drop to play this “creative midfielder” is Kurtis Roberts and he would be the first names on my teamsheet but if we do sign Andy Ryan,you’ve got to look at it is he better than Callum Gallagher? Yes! Is he better than Ally Roy Definitely Yes! It would be a real statement of intent if we do get him back on loan

I wouldn't be averse to getting both types in if I'm honest. The more quality options we have the better it'll be for us.

But I'm in 100% agreement about Roberts, he possesses every quality required in this country to become a success.

I'll be honest and say, when he signed, it was a bit "meh". One of Queens parks better players the season before didn't exactly fill me with raw excitement, but it's no coincidence we are a better side when he's playing.

Last year I was most disappointed with Kieran Millar, who looks like a different player this year.

It just goes to show what getting in a coach with half a brain can do.

I'm missing today's offering as I've took the weans down to Harry Potter world in Watford for the weekend so I'll be keeping an eye on developments back in Airdrie.

Vital 3 points but had to scrap.  Could have won more comfortably but could have been behind with McDonald handball on the line.  McKay walked around 1st half watching the game pass him by. Its good to see Smith's workrate but its still not really happening for him.  Crighton and fordyce solid again and deserved MOTM for McCann.  Dont know how many times I've said the ref was poor this season but at least it didn't have too much influence on the outcome.  Gal has to think a bit more about his position and keep an eye on the offside line. We take 3 points and move on to another challenge next week.  

Edited by Ballboy