The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

After seeing that today,We’re about 4-5 players away to get to challenging,McDonald the right back is slower than big Nat and couldn’t cross the road,big Paul McKay is the team just to take the throw ins and how you can sub your top goal scorer off and leave ally Roy on is an absolute farce and not to mention the great performance by the ref today outstanding [emoji1319]

Ps.Ally Love is a junkie Rat and Goodwillie is a beast

29 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

After seeing that today,We’re about 4-5 players away to get to challenging,McDonald the right back is slower than big Nat and couldn’t cross the road,big Paul McKay is the team just to take the throw ins and how you can sub your top goal scorer off and leave ally Roy on is an absolute farce and not to mention the great performance by the ref today outstanding emoji1319.png

Ps.Ally Love is a junkie Rat and Goodwillie is a beast

Any more signing rumours doing the rounds,   ,  or is it wind up time

I wish we had a player  that had even half the talent of goodwillie ,I know we are joint top ,but needing a good few players to get us up ,and a good few more to keep us there , the first 30 mins yesterday is about as bad as I have seen us this season ,Not just Roy ,who does not cut it at this poor level ,a few others need replaced ,

look on the bright side - if you would have told me we would be joint top at xmas after that Montrose game I'd have laughed my balls off at you.

We seemed to finally fix the 3 season long midfield problem by playing Roberts with Millar and McKay supporting, so no great surprise that things have went backwards a bit with Roberts seemingly injured/unfit.

I can't shake the impression that our squad is huge but unsure if that's because of the way we have presented it as one big group of players or not....so yeah we need some quality to come in but I'd want to see some guys move on too just to keep that balance.

You just about get away with McKay with Robert's and Millar in the team flatters to deceive otherwise, didn't think I would ever say this but big Natt may have been better starting  than Roy for balance and keeping front three that's done so well of late.No not suffering from alcohol induced pain. With such a big squad and yes a lot of young players surely there must be one or two who could step up otherwise it's a waste of resources and narrow the chances of bringing in a couple of decent signings.

Edited by Eric the half a b

look on the bright side - if you would have told me we would be joint top at xmas after that Montrose game I'd have laughed my balls off at you.

We seemed to finally fix the 3 season long midfield problem by playing Roberts with Millar and McKay supporting, so no great surprise that things have went backwards a bit with Roberts seemingly injured/unfit.

I can't shake the impression that our squad is huge but unsure if that's because of the way we have presented it as one big group of players or not....so yeah we need some quality to come in but I'd want to see some guys move on too just to keep that balance.
You just about get away with McKay with Robert's and Millar in the team flatters to deceive otherwise, didn't think I would ever say this but big Natt may have been better starting  than Roy for balance and keeping front three that's done so well of late.No not suffering from alcohol induced pain. With such a big squad and yes a lot of young players surely there must be one or two who could step up otherwise it's a waste of resources and narrow the chances of bringing in a couple of decent signings.
You just need to look back since the Forfar game, the amount of minutes Roberts played during that spell, hes been a massive part of getting us up where we are at the moment.
I just hope he's been a bit unfit to not have been started otherwise IMO that's a question that has to be asked of the management team.

Obviously it's disappointing to be defeated but there will be more lossess before the end of the season, for us, Falkirk, Raith and East Fife so let's just wait until next Saturday night and re-asses

I had added thoughts to the match thread that I can't be bothered repeating, however, I will add this. Ally Roy shouldn't be starting again for us. He's had plenty of chances and opportunities and is getting to the stage now that he is effectively a man down when he plays. He's just completely ineffective in every way.

10 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

You just need to look back since the Forfar game, the amount of minutes Roberts played during that spell, hes been a massive part of getting us up where we are at the moment.
I just hope he's been a bit unfit to not have been started otherwise IMO that's a question that has to be asked of the management team.

Obviously it's disappointing to be defeated but there will be more lossess before the end of the season, for us, Falkirk, Raith and East Fife so let's just wait until next Saturday night and re-asses

Yes it's not the end of the world and be more worrying if we were not creating chances may not be the league we would choose to be in but it is sure exciting when so unpredictable and there will be many twists to come. For the last few years go to going to games we probably did not expect to win and if you lost move on to the next week but this season being in with a genuine chance you get that buzz back when you win and the disappointment is greater when you loose long time since checked other teams results during the game. I agree with you on Robert's just hope we dont blow it after doing so well because it's fun being in the mix.

I had added thoughts to the match thread that I can't be bothered repeating, however, I will add this. Ally Roy shouldn't be starting again for us. He's had plenty of chances and opportunities and is getting to the stage now that he is effectively a man down when he plays. He's just completely ineffective in every way.

McKay doesn’t offer anything either other than the long throw. And that has become totally ineffective.

I think what we need to realise was that our great run of form came off the back of using a new system, and utilising McKay's long throw more. This worked superbly for a few games as teams hadn't yet worked out our strengths/weaknesses in that system, and hadn't worked a lot on defending our throws.

What we are now seeing is what was always going to happen which is that teams adapt to counteract our way of playing, and will definitely be working on defending our throw-ins. Raith and Clyde both made sure they weren't going to get done on the counter attack which is our strength (Peterhead couldn't really do that because they lost early goals and had to push on). And the throw-ins haven't worked since the Albion Rovers game. More than ever it is important we get the first goal, if we do then teams will have to come out at some point and that will play into our hands. If we lose the first goal, like at Raith and Clyde, we'll huff and puff but struggle to break teams down. In our last 8 games (and 11 out of the last 12) the scorer of the first goal has gone on to win. We can't afford to be giving away pathetic goals like the first one yesterday.

We are still in a great position and it's important that we don't get too down about defeats or lose the head like we did yesterday and at Raith. Apart from Stranraer, there is virtually nothing between any of the teams in this league. 14 points separates 1st to 9th, I'm sure last season at this point that was the gap between 1st and 2nd! The winning tally will be really low, at current rate it will be 64 points. The average over the last few years is around the mid 70s. Every team will lose plenty of games so it's not a disaster, we just need to keep plugging away and then hope we can find another win streak from somewhere. We need to stick with the team, and the team need to make sure they don't pick up stupid suspensions by losing the head when we lose. When it's this tight we can't afford key players missing or the manager being in the stands because they've lost it in the previous game.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Mckay is not good enough either all he can do is throw a long ball which the other sides have done their homework on it and is not effective now.Please don't bring Wedderburn back he is even worse not many of the young reserve side look like breaking through need an experienced left sided midfield player on loan and big target man up front to keep promotion hopes alive.

10 minutes ago, Diamond legend said:

Mckay is not good enough either all he can do is throw a long ball which the other sides have done their homework on it and is not effective now.Please don't bring Wedderburn back he is even worse not many of the young reserve side look like breaking through need an experienced left sided midfield player on loan and big target man up front to keep promotion hopes alive.

I was full of hope like many pre season, then we were awful still change in formation and we looked like a decent side most important I feel you can see it hurts the players if the loose now. Were a couple of disputes between our team yesterday cant fault the effort. We will defo make playoffs and I hope like many if we get a couple in we have every change of winning this league. Up at Forfar the last time lucky if there were 60 fans last few away games fans backing has been superb. Onwards and upwards for 20.20.

Edited by Eric the half a b

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think what we need to realise was that our great run of form came off the back of using a new system, and utilising McKay's long throw more. This worked superbly for a few games as teams hadn't yet worked out our strengths/weaknesses in that system, and hadn't worked a lot on defending our throws.

What we are now seeing is what was always going to happen which is that teams adapt to counteract our way of playing, and will definitely be working on defending our throw-ins. Raith and Clyde both made sure they weren't going to get done on the counter attack which is our strength (Peterhead couldn't really do that because they lost early goals and had to push on). And the throw-ins haven't worked since the Albion Rovers game. More than ever it is important we get the first goal, if we do then teams will have to come out at some point and that will play into our hands. If we lose the first goal, like at Raith and Clyde, we'll huff and puff but struggle to break teams down. In our last 8 games (and 11 out of the last 12) the scorer of the first goal has gone on to win. We can't afford to be giving away pathetic goals like the first one yesterday.

We are still in a great position and it's important that we don't get too down about defeats or lose the head like we did yesterday and at Raith. Apart from Stranraer, there is virtually nothing between any of the teams in this league. 14 points separates 1st to 9th, I'm sure last season at this point that was the gap between 1st and 2nd! The winning tally will be really low, at current rate it will be 64 points. The average over the last few years is around the mid 70s. Every team will lose plenty of games so it's not a disaster, we just need to keep plugging away and then hope we can find another win streak from somewhere. We need to stick with the team, and the team need to make sure they don't pick up stupid suspensions by losing the head when we lose. When it's this tight we can't afford key players missing or the manager being in the stands because they've lost it in the previous game.

What happened at Raith?  And why was your manager with the directors yesterday?

Plan to come along this Saturday.  Work means that I won't make it to Peterhead.  However your game seems a very tasty prospect.

16 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

What happened at Raith?  And why was your manager with the directors yesterday?

Plan to come along this Saturday.  Work means that I won't make it to Peterhead.  However your game seems a very tasty prospect.

Hand ball by raith player in the box in the last few minutes.  He told the ref he thought his decision was incorrect.  (Maybe not quite in those words) Got a red card. 

McKay has been getting away with it for a while now, don’t think Wedderburn is the answer as we need legs in the midfield, could try Kerr in there he’s looked decent on the ball when he’s played but couldn’t tell you the last time that was? Looks another to be out the door soon..

I'd say that McKay is the weakest player in our starting 11 and bringing in a better midfielder would improve our team if we can do it, but McKay is still useful as a player that can cover a few positions. Agree that the long throws haven't offered too much and wouldn't be missed. As for Kerr he's a young lad and I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact he hasn't played too often. Would hope to keep him as I think he's a very good prospect and I like that's he a centre back that's extremely comfortable on the ball. Playing him in midfield is an interesting idea but the one time he played at right back due to injuries he looked very uncomfortable so maybe he'd have a similar problem in midfield.