The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

With Clyde apparently in turmoil behind the scenes I wonder if Goodwillie would be available. Yes I know many would be opposed, didn't like the man myself, but he is a proven goal scorer and if he started scoring regularly folk would soon forget

Id rather get relegated that have a convicted rapist in the team. I am sure most airdrie fans woukd agree

16 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Watched most of Hearts game and they had real energy but seemed to lack a finisher up front. If they compete like that on our cup visit we are in for a tough shift, as most of us would expect. Maybe the Winter break will set them back! 

Look to strong for us , on last nights showing ,

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

With Clyde apparently in turmoil behind the scenes I wonder if Goodwillie would be available. Yes I know many would be opposed, didn't like the man myself, but he is a proven goal scorer and if he started scoring regularly folk would soon forget

He would be a good signing ,IMO 

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Id rather get relegated that have a convicted rapist in the team. I am sure most airdrie fans woukd agree

That the spirit coming up to Christmas ,here is one that does not  agree ,put the ball in the net for Airdrie ,and I will not even think about it ,

That the spirit coming up to Christmas ,here is one that does not  agree ,put the ball in the net for Airdrie ,and I will not even think about it ,

He would be a great signing but

A) he wouldnt sign for us
B) its not worth the baggage

2 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

It has been suggested before.   Not a chance though.  How do we explain to the kids why are all the other people booing him.  Not worth it if it stops any of our fans coming.  Yes hes a very good striker but being left in the lower leagues is his own doing.  If people forget so easy hed be playing at a higher level.  Hes good enough to play for the likes of Hamilton,  st mirren,  ayr, alloa.   Nobody wants anything to do him.   Neither should we. 

Word was a few weeks back that they would be looking to offload him & another high earner in Jan. As mentioned he is a good player but many supporters would not want him at their club rightly or wrongly. Was a mention of an Australian club the other week would have thought he might have got a start down in England but if staying at Clyde maybe a drop in wages would help out.

On 18/12/2019 at 14:17, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Now theres an entry for your decade worst XI....!!!

Definitely a contender but at least you could never say he was boring. He'd either be comically superb or a comical disaster with nothing in between (and usually a disaster). Would trip over the ball with every touch he had four games in a row and then chip the keeper from outside the box in the fifth game. Box office.

On 18/12/2019 at 15:31, AndyDD said:

Falkirk to be without Telfer and more importantly Gomis for the game on 28th. Obviously need to concern ourselves with Clyde first, but that's a big plus, no having Gomis to contend with. Essentially their best player. 

That's good news. Gomis ran the show for them in the last game. Falkirk have some players who are tidy on the ball but who don't have any penetration and while Gomis was guilty of that too, he was by far their best player and the only one who looked capable of creating something. 

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

He would be a great signing but

A) he wouldnt sign for us
B) its not worth the baggage

Goodwillie is obviously too good a player for this level and would obviously be a great signing on the park but f**k signing a convincted rapist no matter how good he is. Some things are more important FFS.

However, we could definitely do with another striker. While we won 4-1 we saw how much we missed Gallagher at Cliftonhill. Smith is a cracking player but isn't going to score every week. Roy is still unconvincing. Carrick is on a brilliant run at the moment but he's never been a traditional goal scorer and regardless, we need more than two strikers we can rely upon to score whenever their on the park anyway. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Definitely a contender but at least you could never say he was boring. He'd either be comically superb or a comical disaster with nothing in between (and usually a disaster). Would trip over the ball with every touch he had four games in a row and then chip the keeper from outside the box in the fifth game. Box office.

That's good news. Gomis ran the show for them in the last game. Falkirk have some players who are tidy on the ball but who don't have any penetration and while Gomis was guilty of that too, he was by far their best player and the only one who looked capable of creating something. 

Goodwillie is obviously too good a player for this level and would obviously be a great signing on the park but f**k signing a convincted rapist no matter how good he is. Some things are more important FFS.

However, we could definitely do with another striker. While we won 4-1 we saw how much we missed Gallagher at Cliftonhill. Smith is a cracking player but isn't going to score every week. Roy is still unconvincing. Carrick is on a brilliant run at the moment but he's never been a traditional goal scorer and regardless, we need more than two strikers we can rely upon to score whenever their on the park anyway. 

I think to maintain the push for promotion we do need a decent midfielder and a forward we are doing really well but could struggle certain players got injured...

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Hope springs eternal. 

I must see football different to most ,here’s me thinking Hearts played quite well in the first half and would be to good and fast for us ,not like old days so if we keep the score down to about 4 we will be doing well ,

Regards Hearts, it will depend on how they approach it. 

They were the better side until their defender got injured and Celtic exploited it to get in and score before Hearts could make the change. They have a new manager and they have some dangerous, quality players. 

However, their best players will likely be on the way back from injury or just back from injury and because of the impending winter break they will still be mired in a relegation scrap, so they will potentially be less interested in the cup game. They might want to protect their injury prone players for the more important league games. Alternatively, they might see it as a great opportunity to give them some game time to ease them back in ahead of the rest of the league games. 

A decent showing is all we look for here, and if Hearts play a weakened side or don't take it seriously and we can take advantage, all the better. 

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I must see football different to most ,here’s me thinking Hearts played quite well in the first half and would be to good and fast for us ,not like old days so if we keep the score down to about 4 we will be doing well ,

I did say hope is what I have about most games. You are right about Hearts playing better, although looking at their fans blog they are not yet persuaded, and it all depends on how they approach it after the break. I suspect it might be like the Celtic game last season minus the later performance drop ,and it's not a priority for us either.

46 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Nice to see the club handing out contract extensions as Christmas presents

Great to see Hutton signed up. Interesting that we're willing to take a chance on Crighton if we get promoted - something which neither Morton or Livingston did. On this season's form he does deserve it (though we still need to defend set pieces better!). 

Now announce Kurtis Roberts, Callum Smith and Leon McCann...