The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

He’s probably the best defensive midfielder in the league bar Gomis,Hard to think we used to play him as an attacking midfielder

Aye, I'm sure I remember him playing as an attacking mid against us at some point last season. Hilarious mis-management, from I assume Findlay.

The drunks on the train from Queen St are singing “He’s black, he’s gay, he plays for Airdaray. Fashanu, Fashanu”. This is the safest I’ve felt on this train for years.

One of the other passengers just asked “who is Stevie Cooper”? I’ve forgiven him his ignorance.

10 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye, I'm sure I remember him playing as an attacking mid against us at some point last season. Hilarious mis-management, from I assume Findlay.

Yeah Findlay would play him in a much more advanced role (and TBF there's been times when that's been the case under Murray too) but he's thriving in his natural holding midfield role at the moment. 

I must admit I really wasn't a fan for a long time but he's been excellent this season. He's even been having a few shots at goal recently (hit the bar yesterday) which is something I never thought would occur. 

On 13/12/2019 at 22:49, Tulloch Gorum said:

He's not been worthy of a start, but he's not even the worst Airdrie player in the last decade.  Not even close.  Not good enough to be a regular player for a team that wants to go up, and I'd be happy to see him go and free up a place for someone else, but let's not get hysterical.

Letting a couple of players go, plus money from the Hearts game, ought to see us able to strengthen the squad.

Speaking of the worst Airdrie player in the last decade, what would everyone's best and worst XI of the last decade be? For me it would look something like: 

Worst - 

Fairley 

Van Zanten Lilley Boateng Malone 

Scullion Faria Devlin Muir 

Keegan Schmidt 

With honourable mentions to - Colin Stewart, Lucas Birnstingl, Euen Grant, Kieron Stallard, Marc Warren, Simon Mensing, Joe Gorman, Robert Wilson, Niko Sumsky, Joe Hammill, David Sinclair, Jack Kirwan, Jack McKay and Liam Buchanan.

Best - 

Hutton 

Bain Gasparotto Lindsay Boyle 

Barr 

Docherty McCord Fraser 

Lister Ryan 

With honourable mentions to - Grant Adam (the first time around), Scott Stewart, Stefan Milojevic, Sean Crighton (on this season's form I'd have him in there but he was crap last season and pretty middling before then), Leon McCann, GMS, Bryan Prunty and Iain Russell. 

It's been a pretty grim decade hasn't it? 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Speaking of the worst Airdrie player in the last decade, what would everyone's best and worst XI of the last decade be? For me it would look something like: 

Worst - 

Fairley 

Van Zanten Lilley Boateng Malone 

Scullion Faria Devlin Muir 

Keegan Schmidt 

With honourable mentions to - Colin Stewart, Lucas Birnstingl, Euen Grant, Kieron Stallard, Marc Warren, Simon Mensing, Joe Gorman, Robert Wilson, Niko Sumsky, Joe Hammill, David Sinclair, Jack Kirwan, Jack McKay and Liam Buchanan.

Best - 

Hutton 

Bain Gasparotto Lindsay Boyle 

Barr 

Docherty McCord Fraser 

Lister Ryan 

With honourable mentions to - Grant Adam (the first time around), Scott Stewart, Stefan Milojevic, Sean Crighton (on this season's form I'd have him in there but he was crap last season and pretty middling before then), Leon McCann, GMS, Bryan Prunty and Iain Russell. 

It's been a pretty grim decade hasn't it? 

There are a number of Airdrie players who would fit in nicely with the Anne summers products in the advert below!!! 

15 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Largely agree on the duff team but I thought Kieran Stallard was a reasonable prospect in a poor team. I think he went to Oz land but don't know what happened to him

Tend to agree with that, I didn't mind Stallard.

I absolutely hated Kevin McDonald, Rhys Devlin and Michael Brown (the crème egg man)

EDITED TO ADD:

And FWIW Scott Stewart would be no where near my 11 of the decade.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

Another important 3 points in the bag with a trip to a troubled Clyde team ahead of us puts us in a great position to mark the end of the year. 

That being said, we were more than a bit laboured on Saturday and will need to watch as Clyde will be a wounded animal, one that can hurt any side in this division with a player like goodwillie in their ranks. 

Turn up and show the appetite for the game we have over the last few months and we should be comfortable winners. Could even get some ground made up in the goal difference stakes. Show complacency and we could find it a banana skin. 

As a cumbernauld local wi a few clyde supporting mates, this game is of particular import to me haha. So a thumping win would be just grand. 

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Tend to agree with that, I didn't mind Stallard.

I absolutely hated Kevin McDonald, Rhys Devlin and Michael Brown (the crème egg man)

EDITED TO ADD:

And FWIW Scott Stewart would be no where near my 11 of the decade.

Let's not forget Scott Smith loaned from Dundee United, horrendous player. Or the prancing pony Sir Andy Ferguson