The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Good point, but Barrowman scored four tonight so I'd say he might be pushing for a place!

He's played in a few different positions for the reserves. Played in the dale Carrick role last night and did well.  Not sure what his usual position is  but like I said nobody has been consistent enough to be considered to be challenging for 1st team. 

Hopefully some of these guys can transition over the course of the next few seasons into the first team, but no need to rush any of the younger ones. Gradual drip feed. We've got a pretty strong first team squad at the moment who have really developed an attitude and mentality over the last few months which ought to see us there or thereabouts. 

Cannae sniff at a 10-0 but my god Alloa must be worried looking at that. Embarrassing margin. Pleased that the reserve team showed a positive mentality second half anawl and went for the jugular, rather than the standard foot off the gas stuff you usually see in any football game when it gets to 5. 

Reading in the press Ian Murray wanting an explanation from the referee how his team never got a penalty at Stark’s Park on Saturday. Well I’ll give him the same explanation East Fife got the week before how Airdrieonians did get a penalty, some you get some you don’t, they balance out over the season. So last Saturdays non penalty balanced out on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Reading in the press Ian Murray wanting an explanation from the referee how his team never got a penalty at Stark’s Park on Saturday. Well I’ll give him the same explanation East Fife got the week before how Airdrieonians did get a penalty, some you get some you don’t, they balance out over the season. So last Saturdays non penalty balanced out on Saturday.

It was a clumsy challenge, it was in the box and it was two weeks ago. 

Up the road. 

1 hour ago, fifer67 said:

not that it bothered you.

If Darren Young can greet to the press so can Murray.

A lot of Airdrieonians fans on here last week very critical of Darren Young post match . What was the difference this week from Murray didn’t here him give Raith much praise for their victory. All the fault of the ref. What goes around comes around. Especially with the standard of refereeing at our level.

well, to be fair I haven't watched Murray's interview so if that's what he's done then fair enough.

But I suppose if I was nitpicking the difference would be that we were denied a chance at a point by not getting the penalty. Darren Young moaning about those deicisions after being pumped for 90 mins was definitely more of an avoidance of reality thing I think.

My view is that we were definitely robbed by not getting the penalty, but we should have realised that the tactics weren't working and changed them much earlier and maybe we wouldn't have had to rely on the penalty.

Also, I was surprised at how benign Fordyce's trip looked on the highlights, at the game I thought he had really blootered the guy. Hope the appeal wins.

A lot of Airdrieonians fans on here last week very critical of Darren Young post match . What was the difference this week from Murray didn’t here him give Raith much praise for their victory. All the fault of the ref. What goes around comes around. Especially with the standard of refereeing at our level.

Big difference is the Raith game was a tight 1-0 and we pumped your lot 4-0

31 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Darren Young was a great deal more churlish, petulant and begrudging in his post match interview on 30th than Murray was 7th. 

To listen to Young, Airdrie and East Fife were much of a muchness, two airdrie goals were entirely down to bad officiating and Airdrie had not done any damage of their own to his side. 

Murray, on the other hand, gave a fairly balanced view of the match at Starks, accepted the culpability of his team and acknowledged the reality of the match- 

‘we didn’t create enough chances’

‘close game, we missed one, they hit the post’

‘quality from both teams wasn’t there today, Raith will be delighted with the win, of course they will… we didn’t get our forward play going today’

such objective analysis and willingness to point to the failings in his own team, whilst yes also, when asked, being critical of the refereeing performance, was absent from the Darren Young interview. 

Are you sure you’re not 14 rather than 52?

Darren Young is a wee ned comes across as it as well,Murray was only telling it how he seen it Young was moaning about how his team gave away a clear penalty kick

The challenge was fine IMO
The leading leg/foot seemed okay but it looks like the trailing leg took the boy out. Only the Raith player could say for certain if that was deliberate or not but I reckon he knew what he was doing.
Difference being we lost a game narrowly where there weren't many chances. So he's hardly likely to say that Raith fully deserved the victory and were the better side because quite simply they weren't. But they got the points and that's what matters come 5pm on a Saturday.

East Fife on the other hand were utter guff and the manager could have acknowledged that they didn't deserve anything. But he's an arse and he didn't.

4 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

The leading leg/foot seemed okay but it looks like the trailing leg took the boy out. Only the Raith player could say for certain if that was deliberate or not but I reckon he knew what he was doing.

Don't think the pitch conditions were doing any players any favors. Lots of clumsy challenges to go around because they were near water skiing.

Good to see Fordyce's red card over-turned. We have a settled defence that is (pretty) solid so that being unchanged will be a help going into Saturday. 

Anyone know if Roberts is likely to be out on Saturday? We've lost something like only one game (Saturday) out of all the games he's started or something ridiculous like that and he's instrumental to how we play so he'll be a huge loss if he's out. Big chance for Dean Hawkshaw to step up though if that is the case. I thought it would be a big season for him but he's barely featured which has been disappointing. I think he's certainly got the potential to step into the role Roberts has played though albeit not quite as good at the dirty stuff. 

In general, I think we have a good starting XI but I am worried about squad depth. With the exception of Eckersley I don't think we have anyone on the bench or in the reserves that could replace someone in the starting XI and do as good a job or better. That is something that is going to have an affect on the run-in and I'm not sure how much scope we'll have to bring in new players in January given how large our squad already is. Within the reserves there are some decent young players who have the potential to develop into first team players over the coming years but I'm not sure how many would be ready to step up at this very moment if called upon. Guys like Leighton (who has been decent enough whenever he's featured in the first team) and Barrowman should be in and around the first team and Pyott, Ross, Burke and Moore have been on the bench a couple of times too. RE Barrowman - no offence to Charlie Reilly (I hope he has a full and speedy recovery from his horrific injury on Saturday) but I don't think Barrowman could offer any less than what he has to the first team. I assume James Cowan will take Reilly's place on the bench on Saturday but there'd be no harm in Barrowman getting a shot. 

Charlie Reilly passed his driving test earlier in the week btw so hopefully that means his injury isn't has bad as feared. 

Edited by airdrieman

In general, I think we have a good starting XI but I am worried about squad depth. With the exception of Eckersley I don't think we have anyone on the bench or in the reserves that could replace someone in the starting XI and do as good a job or better.

It's normal that there's no one on the bench you could expect to come in and do as good a job or better. If there was they'd be part of our best starting XI. In terms of players coming in as cover I don't really have any problems with guys like Eckersley, Kerr, Hawkshaw, Wedderburn, Roy and Thomson (when he recovers) as backups to the first team. I think we maybe could have better depth in midfield and I'd love us to bring in someone new to play there but I think we have a relatively strong bench, even if guys like Wedderburn, Hawkshaw and Roy have been a bit underwhelming.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wedderburn is gone in January. I can't see him being happy warming our bench.

Agreed. And would be good if we could maybe get a couple of others off the wage bill so Murray can get one or two necessary players on loan for the second half of the season. Can’t help but think we’ll need the coverage eventually

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

Agreed. And would be good if we could maybe get a couple of others off the wage bill so Murray can get one or two necessary players on loan for the second half of the season. Can’t help but think we’ll need the coverage eventually

Personally I wouldn't be paying any players out there contract ,  we did that last year and it is undubstainable,  Big Nat appears to be this season's scapegoat,  we always have had one every season anyway....   I agree we need to strengthen probably 2 players preferably with a bit of experience guide us through the second half of the season,   This season we have currently or have used 4 loan players,  is there not a limit for loan players for a season.....