The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 of our goals yesterday came from long throws, plus Carrick's near goal. It's starting to cause teams real problems, Rovers couldn't deal with it at all. Even if you don't win the initial header you are likely to get a 2nd or 3rd phase attack from it, which is what happened with the 3rd and 4th goals yesterday.

Being picky, I still feel we are missing a trick with our corners and free-kicks given how much chaos we cause with the long throws. It's at the stage where I'd rather have a throw by the corner flag than a corner. If we could just get the delivery and tactics right for attacking corners we could be absolutely lethal from set-pieces.

Overall, although we looked weaker without Gallagher it's good to see the structure of the team wasn't affected. The players are performing much more consistently now due to playing regularly every week in the same position. We have pace and a threat from out wide, and energy from midfield, perfectly shown by Roberts' goal where ran the full length of the pitch to support the attack. Hopefully get a good draw to look forward to.

Really enjoyed it yesterday. To win 4-1 and not have really played as well as we can was good. Scrappy game at times and you could tell we miss Gallagher. Roy is a different type of player, wants to run into passes, where as Gallagher is much better at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Roberts was superb. His pass to get Smith away and then to get up the park and onto the end of it to finish the move with a lively dink over the keeper was excellent. Special mention to Smith too. Worked his socks off again and his return pass for Roberts goal was beautifully threaded between two defenders. Captain Crichton really responded well after the OG. What better way to redeem yourself than with a couple of thunderous strikes that any forward would be proud of. Great day.

Good to see Sean Crighton in the SPFL team of the week. Been great to see Airdrie players get in there on a regular basis over the last few weeks. Keep that trend going for this weekend hopefully

Gets abuse of some old c***s at the game because he ain’t maldini he’s better than that diddy he’s Sean crighton and would be the first name on my team sheet every week

Airdrie next three: East Fife (H), Raith Rovers (A), Peterhead (H)

Raith Rovers next three: Montrose (A), Airdrie (H), Falkirk (A)

East Fife next three: Airdrie (A), Falkirk (H), Stranraer (A)

Falkirk next three: Stranraer (H), East Fife (A), Raith Rovers (H)

Some really massive games in there with everyone playing two of the top 4 and Raith Rovers also going away to 5th placed and on form Montrose

19 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Gets abuse of some old c***s at the game because he ain’t maldini he’s better than that diddy he’s Sean crighton and would be the first name on my team sheet every week

All depends where you sit I suppose but the "old" guys in my area have rarely moaned about Crighton. I think he has been excellent this season and agree with your second point. It looks and feels cold today so this "old" guy is setting out the thermals. 

59 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Gallagher and Carrick are both on fire

That might well have heated me up today. Posted on other thread but we had no weaknesses today. I thought  Kyle Mcdonald was very impressive today  and our 4-3-3 just entertains now. Liked the wee spat between McKay and Agnew which reminded me of some of the Doddy days of closing down the opposition playmaker so that his frustration gets him the yellow card.  Callum Smith was  a real pest and with a bit of composure we might have scored 6. Carrick could soon be in double figure territory and he deserves it. Noticed Gallagher with ice pack on his ankle at the end, so I hope he is fine for next week. Thawing out thanks to hot water bottle and a spicy St Andrew's night curry.

On 29/11/2019 at 13:22, Spanish Armada said:

Calm the ham Tam!

Some old cants have been watching Airdrie a lot longer than you, and have seen some good and bad times, so because somebody had a different opinion from yours doesn't require ageist comments from you.

Calm the ham Tam!
Some old cants have been watching Airdrie a lot longer than you, and have seen some good and bad times, so because somebody had a different opinion from yours doesn't require ageist comments from you.

To be fair he's got a point.
If Sean keeps this up he's easily top 2 for POTY. I was critical of him under Findlay, he looked like an absolute clown with 2 left feet, but this year he's been one of the best centre halves in the league.
The big man's a winner, he's won this league a couple of times already and he'll be desperate for a third winners medal and I'd be delighted for him If he did.
McDonald was excellent today as were almost everyone. Smith could have been quicker to shoot but overall we were brilliant to watch.
Im a massive Callum Smith fan, but he was under par today, still didn't take away from his effort and willingness to get involved but a couple of chances went begging from him and it just wasn't his day. Since Carrick and Roberts have become mainstays in the team it's absolute night and day.
I'm enjoying watching the team just now and delighted Murray has found a winning 11.

Yes ,great 3 points and very much deserved ,dominated game more than any this season,never going to loose today ,So well done to manager ,and assistant manager  and all players the day ,not just effort but some good skill aswell .what a difference to a sat night now .long may it last .team doing there job now ,a good airdrie crowd next week would be great .

6 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

To be fair he's got a point.
If Sean keeps this up he's easily top 2 for POTY. I was critical of him under Findlay, he looked like an absolute clown with 2 left feet, but this year he's been one of the best centre halves in the league.
The big man's a winner, he's won this league a couple of times already and he'll be desperate for a third winners medal and I'd be delighted for him If he did.Im a massive Callum Smith fan, but he was under par today, still didn't take away from his effort and willingness to get involved but a couple of chances went begging from him and it just wasn't his day. Since Carrick and Roberts have become mainstays in the team it's absolute night and day.
I'm enjoying watching the team just now and delighted Murray has found a winning 11.

His point is lost, by the sarky comment attached to it!

I like Crichton,  but he has been quite wayward with his distribution in the past. He is playing well at the moment and long may it continue.