The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Sorry, it was definitely Steven, Scott is the current Aberdeen centre half. A bit early in my life to have senior moments like that but it happens to the best of us after a few pints.

No need to say sorry and senior moments are my speciality no matter the alcoholic choices. Draw is live on Sportscene tomorrow .

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

January 2007 it was. Didn’t think it was over 10 years ago. Over 8k attendance that day. Maybe home tie against them would be more beneficial financially and our plastic pitch a bit of a leveller. Fingers crossed for the draw tomorrow.
Yep, 6/1/07, forever etched in my memory as it was the exact day of my Mrs 21st birthday.
The lucky girl got to see Airdrie vs. Motherwell for her birthday.

IIRC Garry Twigg missed a sitter of a header in the last minute as well.

Scrappy game. Pitch was terrible as usual so hard to play on the deck and then the wind was strong making the long ball unpredictable. A hard fought win in the end. God knows when the last time the health and safety executive was at Cliftonhill. Absolute piggery. Actually feared for the fan's in the 'stand' when the ball hit the top of it. Would like a lower league opposition to progress next round. And then Mothersmell away. That would be a great day for the fans. 

We made it difficult for ourselves but I'll certainly take a 4-1 win at Cliftonhill. Didn't think Rovers were up to much at all but we let them back into the game by gifting them possession and constantly punting the ball straight to them when there was never any real pressure placed on our players. They scored a soft goal but, while I had that familiar feeling of dread, I never really thought they would go on to win the game. Thankfully the second, and third, goal put the game to bed. The game itself was turgid. Ball was in the air far too often, and as a result just given away. That being said, I thought we did play some nice stuff when we kept our composure, took a touch and played the ball on the ground. The best example probably being the opening goal. Roberts is a cracking wee player. He's the one that makes the clearance/long pass to Smith before running almost the length of the park to get on the end of the return pass and finish it off. Lovely. Another goal from the long-throw too. I still think most of our set pieces are dire but nice to see the long throws paying off regularly now. What a finish for Crighton's first! Congratulations to him as well for his (sort of) hat-trick. MacDonald's goal was an excellent strike too. Smith and Carrick put in a good shift once again and had some nice plays. 

Today also showed how much we miss Gallagher when he's not playing. As others have said today was the ideal game for Roy to come in, make an impact and make a claim for a starting jersey. I really want Roy to do well. I really do. But he's just not cutting it. Admittedly his service wasn't great today but he did have chances - including missing another one-on-one right at the start (just put it to the other side of the keeper FFS) and the one in the second half where he jumped to bring the ball down into his feet where if he'd just headed it it would have probably been a goal. I think he's short on confidence but if you can't score against the team who are second-bottom of League 2 who can you score against? I'd love for him to get enough game time that he gets his confidence back but at the same time we can't carry passengers either. We miss Gallagher's goal but I also think he brings a lot to the team in terms of his all-round play. He can hold the ball up, hassle defenders, set up his team mates and is just all-round good forward. Roy isn't contributing goals but he isn't contributing anything else either IMO. He's 'fine' to have as an option on the bench but I hope Murray is looking at bringing in another striker in January as if we lose Gallagher for any length of time we're fucked. Could always play Crighton upfront after today. 

Hope that neither our club or the Rovers are punished for a few of our idiot fans jumping the wall. If the referee reports it we could both be in hot water. We got a fine a few years ago when Dundee Utd fans jumped the barrier to celebrate their late goal.

Hope that neither our club or the Rovers are punished for a few of our idiot fans jumping the wall. If the referee reports it we could both be in hot water. We got a fine a few years ago when Dundee Utd fans jumped the barrier to celebrate their late goal.

Awk f**k up it’s just young boys enjoying themselves at the games you wonder why younger kids don’t go to games when snowflakes like you are always on your case wasn’t like that in the 80s and 90s when every week there was a fan on the park Dry your eyes snowflake

Awk f**k up it’s just young boys enjoying themselves at the games you wonder why younger kids don’t go to games when snowflakes like you are always on your case wasn’t like that in the 80s and 90s when every week there was a fan on the park Dry your eyes snowflake

Arsehole!

Re crowd at Motherwell Cup game at NB in 2007, BBC Sport says crowd was 5924.  Crowds exceeding 8000 at NB very rare. Think we got one against Celtic in our 1-0 League Cup victory in the late 90s when Marvin Wilson scored from the spot. Not sure that we have ever had a full house (i.e 10000) not even when we beat Morton in 2004 in our championship winning season.

Positives all round - manager stuck with the same team minus Gallagher - not trying to be clever and keeping continuity  -  ( see Montrose trying to be too clever - not at this standard) .  A few nice moves early on creating chances , Rovers having a few chances   but a  lovely first goal  from us- Roberts starts it and finishes it - cutting stuff.   Rovers going for it second half - looked like a poor goal  to concede  but heads importantly heads didn't go down  - we went for it -  and well deserved  goals thereafter. Thought Kyle McDonald  and Callum Smith were excellent but  Sean Crighton was a stand out - everything you want in a club captain and more .

Re crowd at Motherwell Cup game at NB in 2007, BBC Sport says crowd was 5924.  Crowds exceeding 8000 at NB very rare. Think we got one against Celtic in our 1-0 League Cup victory in the late 90s when Marvin Wilson scored from the spot. Not sure that we have ever had a full house (i.e 10000) not even when we beat Morton in 2004 in our championship winning season.

Didn’t notice the attendance. Always had it in my head it was over 8k. Wishful thinking maybe.

15 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Positives all round - manager stuck with the same team minus Gallagher - not trying to be clever and keeping continuity  -  ( see Montrose trying to be too clever - not at this standard) .  A few nice moves early on creating chances , Rovers having a few chances   but a  lovely first goal  from us- Roberts starts it and finishes it - cutting stuff.   Rovers going for it second half - looked like a poor goal  to concede  but heads importantly heads didn't go down  - we went for it -  and well deserved  goals thereafter. Thought Kyle McDonald  and Callum Smith were excellent but  Sean Crighton was a stand out - everything you want in a club captain and more .

Crighton has been superb all season, even early on in the season when we were poor he was still putting in performances. It's got to the point where he probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because we are used to it.

Just sitting thinking about the huge difference in our play since the Montrose game. Who would have thought that we would have looked so energetic, pacey, and dangerous back then?

Amazing turnaround and whilst we can't be brilliant in every game I'm now as sure as I can be that we'll finish in the play off spots.

2 hours ago, Locker Luke said:

I remember at the time thinking crowd was higher than reported. 3 stands were full

Two Rangers games,Celtic at Home 1-0 Airdrie
Think when we won the league there was about 5-6k crowd