The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Went over on his ankle, wasn’t limping or anything at the end.

Hopefully not too bad then. Hopefully back for next week but if he misses next week it's not the end of the world as I'd like to think we can beat the Rovers without him. Good to see Carrick score again too, four from four for him as well now.

Hopefully not too bad then. Hopefully back for next week but if he misses next week it's not the end of the world as I'd like to think we can beat the Rovers without him. Good to see Carrick score again too, four from four for him as well now.

Rovers are shitting themselves. Big time!

Just back to a Chapelhall fish supper which was so much better than the mildly heated Pie from the Stranraer cabin. the Bovril was however piping hot and it was needed on a cold day. The first half was quite scrappy from both sides with the ball in the air regfularly and no one quite getting passing moves. The only threat from Stranraer was a n occasional cross into the bar area which Hutton palmed well away. Our only good move of that half was a great run and pass by Roberts to Gallagher. It looked a goal all the way but I am sure a bobble took it just past the post. Possession was fairly even  and the home team did move a wee bit better. The second half had us a bit further up the pitch . A god pass from Roberts let smith fire in a cross which Carrick and a defender tussled over. The ball fell to McDonald who fired it across to the waiting Gallagher and it was 1-0. We controlled the game for a spell but Sranraer did have some moments which the magnificent Crighton and Fordyce repelled. Gallagher was injured chasing a long pass and in straddling the defender he took a leg knock. It did not look too bad but he walked off soon after. Roy came on and might well have got the 2nd when he broke clear but the goalie saved well. Dangana was a bit more of a threat for them but a great cross by Leon McCann saw Carrick(must score sometime) get the 2nd. He was subbed immediately as Reilly came on.

You have to say it was an "!ugly" win but that is a hard venue. The same team appeared for the third game in a row and the same formation and subs.. Murray was as animated as I have seen him and he had an Airdrie tammy on! Top of the League for the time being. Who would have said that 6 weeks ago? No failures today again and the players went over to the fans at the end. The chant of " we're going up....." might be hyperbole but optimism rules the head.  And I got the Scotland score correct! On to the Coatbridge san siro.

Just back to a Chapelhall fish supper which was so much better than the mildly heated Pie from the Stranraer cabin. the Bovril was however piping hot and it was needed on a cold day. The first half was quite scrappy from both sides with the ball in the air regfularly and no one quite getting passing moves. The only threat from Stranraer was a n occasional cross into the bar area which Hutton palmed well away. Our only good move of that half was a great run and pass by Roberts to Gallagher. It looked a goal all the way but I am sure a bobble took it just past the post. Possession was fairly even  and the home team did move a wee bit better. The second half had us a bit further up the pitch . A god pass from Roberts let smith fire in a cross which Carrick and a defender tussled over. The ball fell to McDonald who fired it across to the waiting Gallagher and it was 1-0. We controlled the game for a spell but Sranraer did have some moments which the magnificent Crighton and Fordyce repelled. Gallagher was injured chasing a long pass and in straddling the defender he took a leg knock. It did not look too bad but he walked off soon after. Roy came on and might well have got the 2nd when he broke clear but the goalie saved well. Dangana was a bit more of a threat for them but a great cross by Leon McCann saw Carrick(must score sometime) get the 2nd. He was subbed immediately as Reilly came on.
You have to say it was an "!ugly" win but that is a hard venue. The same team appeared for the third game in a row and the same formation and subs.. Murray was as animated as I have seen him and he had an Airdrie tammy on! Top of the League for the time being. Who would have said that 6 weeks ago? No failures today again and the players went over to the fans at the end. The chant of " we're going up....." might be hyperbole but optimism rules the head.  And I got the Scotland score correct! On to the Coatbridge san siro.

Thanks for the match report. Doesn’t sound like a great game but this league throws up some scrappy affairs where you need to come out on top... and we did! These are the games that will win you a title. Proud of the team for battling hard and keeping this run going.. I’m sure our away form will help us get a decisive win over the Rovers. They are leaking goals badly and blew the lead to end up losers today. Time to put them to the sword

4 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Thanks for the match report. Doesn’t sound like a great game but this league throws up some scrappy affairs where you need to come out on top... and we did! These are the games that will win you a title. Proud of the team for battling hard and keeping this run going.. I’m sure our away form will help us get a decisive win over the Rovers. They are leaking goals badly and blew the lead to end up losers today. Time to put them to the sword

That's now 18 points away from home. The best thing about is that their work rate and pressing is now superb. Keiran Millar is 100% improved/Kurtis Roberts has a kind of Gerrard (!) enthusiasm and runs himself into the ground. Even McKay does the dirty stuff and he has found a front three who must lose pounds during a game.  The last 14 derbies against the rovers has seen only one home win (Us) so I hope we can keep that sword ready. If Gallagher is out injured for safety reasons then I might just put Roy in there.

That's now 18 points away from home. The best thing about is that their work rate and pressing is now superb. Keiran Millar is 100% improved/Kurtis Roberts has a kind of Gerrard (!) enthusiasm and runs himself into the ground. Even McKay does the dirty stuff and he has found a front three who must lose pounds during a game.  The last 14 derbies against the rovers has seen only one home win (Us) so I hope we can keep that sword ready. If Gallagher is out injured for safety reasons then I might just put Roy in there.

I’ll be honest - I’d like to see Roy maybe get the full 90 mins and get a couple of goals. I know he’s being used mainly as a sub right now but a full game with goals could help him as a player. And if Gallagher ever did miss a couple of games through injury we need to have some added firepower ready. That’s the only thing that worries me as the season goes along, who does the key jobs if players miss from injury or suspension? Not complaining, loving the work rate and commitment but hoping Murray has an eye on transfers for January

Delighted just to look at the table and see us top.  Strong defence and took our chances.  Something that wouldn't have happened some weeks ago.  At times today we were playing against a very onesided referee too. I'd agree with giving ally roy some game time if gal doesn't make next week. He was through on goal twice today it took a good save from their goalie and the other he seemed to change his mind when one on one .  Hard fought 3 points.  Just shows really how even this league is.  We haven't been in this position for a while so we deserve to milk the status of being top for a while.  Stranrar threw everything forward in the last 20 mins and in the 1st few games of the season we would probably have caved.  Looks like a different team. Playing with confidence and now have belief that we can hold on to a lead.  Starting the same 11 each week is paying off in points. Now we just have the small matter of keeping this run going.  The more of us at coatbridge nextweek to cheer the boys on could maybe help with a wee cup run too.  Yet another happy day to be a diamond. 

Thanks To Chapelhall Chap and the others for comments on today's game. Down in North Yorkshire, so appreciate the reports.

His 1960's Academy education just edges it in the reporting stakes.

Looking forward to the Rovers game. 

Edited by Elgindiamond
Finger problem

5 minutes ago, Elgindiamond said:

Thanks To Chapelhall Chap and the others for comments on today's game. Down in North Yorkshire, so appreciate the reports.

His 1960's Academy education just edges it in the reporting stakes.

Looking forward to the Rovers game. Hi guy

At one remove, the reports are so much better than some of the actual game but that would be churlish. Hope the floods have not affected North Yorkshire and you come home safely. Yes it was a good education , it's just my football skills were less impressive than so many others. Would be good to get to next round but want to avoid any visit to the OF twins.

Good,  if not a pretty result today .  Thought the the build up to the first goal was  excellent - nice passing at the beginning of the move, some dig to keep possession and a strikers finish. Second goal - Leon McCann's cross was first rate and Dale Carrack, who had worked his socks off all day, with a lovely finish.  Great team effort overall.

Regarding the Rovers game - I wouldn't  get too gallus - if Gallagher is fit I would play him and the same starting 11 as today. I wouldn't try and be too clever with team selection .  A good cup run could mean some nice cash. Lets keep it going.

23 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Good,  if not a pretty result today .  Thought the the build up to the first goal was  excellent - nice passing at the beginning of the move, some dig to keep possession and a strikers finish. Second goal - Leon McCann's cross was first rate and Dale Carrack, who had worked his socks off all day, with a lovely finish.  Great team effort overall.

Regarding the Rovers game - I wouldn't  get too gallus - if Gallagher is fit I would play him and the same starting 11 as today. I wouldn't try and be too clever with team selection .  A good cup run could mean some nice cash. Lets keep it going.

Totally, a win and a big cup draw like last year could be the difference between a few extra signings in January or not which could make all the difference.

Obviously if Gallagher is injured then fine, but most of us have moaned about Murray not getting a settled team before. Now we have one the last thing we should be doing is trying to be too smart and changing the team up.

The next 3 games in particular could give us a real lift and belief that we can challenge for the title. Beat the Rovers and a good draw in the next round and I’d be delighted with four points from East Fife and Raith. Important few weeks coming up and it’s great to be excited about big games rather than hoping to scrape something from them.

I forgot to say that McKay was pulled up twice by the standside lino for his foot being in the pitch at his long throws. On the highlights you can just see  the farside lino missing it from a foot away. What is the rule about throw ins? Release ball before stepping on pitch? So many foul throws these days and stealing yards I thought  they'd just ignored it. Maybe need to revisit tactics?

As much as I love a cup run, the league has to be our number 1 focus and to lose one of our starters to a daft injury when it could be avoided could be criminal! I’d rotate the team 

Interesting question.. what should Murray do here? Rotate some players and save some of the first team to be ready for the upcoming league fixtures? I really don’t care about a cup run but would love to cash in on an Old Firm draw. I’ll be honest, I won’t be too upset if a couple of changes are made this weekend but back to the regular team for league business