The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

You’re very knowledgable Stuart. I often wonder if we could have found a way to develop Broomfield or whether it really was too challenging logistically, and cost prohibitive. I’d imagine the pavilion being a listed building was an issue and apparently the terracing that backed onto the railway was subsiding. I seem to remember the council having an issue with the lack of parking as well.

Thought most of that stuff was common knowledge to anyone who read the Advertiser or spoke to other fans.

The only from the horse’s mouth take I heard was Davie Smith at a fans meeting explaining the situation with the money owed to Barr Construction. At the time the final balance was down to 50K due to incomplete snagging and he estimated it could be reduced to 30K. Then as soon as we went into provisional admin the Snagging discounts disappeared and the bill shit straight back up to 400K.

As to redeveloping Broomfield, didn’t get the impression the club had the funds.

3 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Sometimes betting all of your money on red pays off.  On this occasion it didn't, and the board didn't have a contigency plan for funding the local road improvements required to complete the terms of our planning conditions, enabling the council to release the title deeds, and the club to simultaneously avoid a 1.6 million tax bill and be in a position to borrow against the stadium to get around issues with cashflow, such as the one which put the club into provisional admin.

Were we not in the position to milk the SPL and help to create the closed shop with us being one of them as we were still playing at Broadwood and would have for a further 2 years before Excelsior was ready,  With Falkirk being denied on lack of facilities on 2 occasions, would only have helped us and our impending financial difficulties, it's all about opinions and pretty pointless now, but it could really have went either way 20 off years ago....

21 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Thought most of that stuff was common knowledge to anyone who read the Advertiser or spoke to other fans.

The only from the horse’s mouth take I heard was Davie Smith at a fans meeting explaining the situation with the money owed to Barr Construction. At the time the final balance was down to 50K due to incomplete snagging and he estimated it could be reduced to 30K. Then as soon as we went into provisional admin the Snagging discounts disappeared and the bill shit straight back up to 400K.

As to redeveloping Broomfield, didn’t get the impression the club had the funds.

The club did look at development of the old Broomfield to comply with the crazy 10 000 seats the ground would have had to be turned round due to railway line this option was not surprisingly knocked back before it got off the ground. 

A friend who was a councillor back in the early 90s recalls the fallout with the club and the authorities over cup final tickets thereafter site after site was knocked back an we had the soulless years at Broadwood. 

Edited by Eric the half a b

14 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

The club did look at development of the old Broomfield to comply with the crazy 10 000 seats the ground would have had to be turned round due to railway line this option was not surprisingly knocked back before it got off the ground.

Even if it had been possible to upgrade Broomfield without rotating the park, you have to ask where the money would have come from the replace the terracing with seating.

14 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

A friend who was a councillor back in the early 90s recalls the fallout with the club and the authorities over cup final tickets thereafter site after site was knocked back an we had the soulless years at Broadwood. 

At the same time, I remember hearing stories about a board member's intransigence contributing to the inability to find a compromise which worked for both the club and the cooncil.

6 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Even if it had been possible to upgrade Broomfield without rotating the park, you have to ask where the money would have come from the replace the terracing with seating.

At the same time, I remember hearing stories about a board member's intransigence contributing to the inability to find a compromise which worked for both the club and the cooncil.

These were the heady days when we used to pay big transfer fees lol. 

Can only say what my friend on the council said at the time we did have one board member in particular who was well best not saying but deffinately little support from some in the council remember the local authority gave Bellshill Juniors a considerable amount of money to build their stadium at the Hattonrigg Road while they did not exactly help us with the money we owed them 

Just now, Eric the half a b said:

Can only say what my friend on the council said at the time we did have one board member in particular who was well best not saying but deffinately little support from some in the council remember the local authority gave Bellshill Juniors a considerable amount of money to build their stadium at the Hattonrigg Road while they did not exactly help us with the money

Should say the authorities across North Lan contributed to Bellshill Juniors 

2 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Can only say what my friend on the council said at the time we did have one board member in particular who was well best not saying but deffinately little support from some in the council remember the local authority gave Bellshill Juniors a considerable amount of money to build their stadium at the Hattonrigg Road while they did not exactly help us with the money we owed them 

I'm sure that we would both guess the same but I'd rather avoid libel.

19 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

I don't agree that anyone running the club or on the pitch should have their feelings spared if they aren't putting in the type of effort whose sum total is the kind of performances (i.e. desire to win) we as paying customers expect to see on the park.

Last 3 weeks = great, loved it, theyve looked like a real team, should be commended for it, and I hope they can keep it up.

Prior to that = pretty much tepid garbage and rightly called out by many as being so.

Sounds like a few people at the Penny Cabs stadium have their heads up their backsides regarding fan relationship.

Edited by G_H

27 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

That is absolutely horrific stuff.

Yup.  I thought so too. 

I'm not a professional writer but, if I was to offer constructive critcism, I would suggest the article could have been structured as follows:

The league has written to us setting expectations about standards of fan and club official behaviour.  They have also explained the possible sanctions which will apply should fans or club official fail to meet this standard.

Here they are .... [rules]

The club would greatly appreciate fans' support in ensuring the club avoid these sanctions.

Also, following recent improved performances by the team, the club and its players would like to thank fans for the great response and we hope that, together, we can build on this success.

At a minimum, there should be someone able to review these articles and make a call on whether they'll go down like a fart in a space suit.

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

Yup.  I thought so too. 

I'm not a professional writer but, if I was to offer constructive critcism, I would suggest the article could have been structured as follows:

The league has written to us setting expectations about standards of fan and club official behaviour.  They have also explained the possible sanctions which will apply should fans or club official fail to meet this standard.

Here they are .... [rules]

The club would greatly appreciate fans' support in ensuring the club avoid these sanctions.

Also, following recent improved performances by the team, the club and its players would like to thank fans for the great response and we hope that, together, we can build on this success.

At a minimum, there should be someone able to review these articles and make a call on whether they'll go down like a fart in a space suit.

Wtf is that all about lol big Donald on the man on the flag is more subtle. Just when you start to enjoy the football played and the fans getting behind the team. Do you think they are preparing just in case we don't win on Saturday lol