The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If that video is an attempt at getting fans back onside, it's a pretty misjudged one.  It scans like an "I'm sorry but ...." apology.
On a more hopeful note, Saturday's change to a more aggressive, attacking play-style was big step towards addressing recent complaints.
I understand the current board have investment to look after and money to make. I wish them well as it means I get to see some success.  What I'm saying is to some of us it doesn't matter what league were in. Good players or mediocre.  I for one know I'll be there next year and the year after. Theres some guys been dedicated to our club longer and will be still. We all go in hope rather than expectation this year will be better than last. If the current group think fans will not voice an opinion at games when players dont perform they have come to the wrong club.  The last few games have shown this.  Shocking performances at home and fans have to let players know it's not good enough.   Forfar away and dumbarton on Saturday and fans really got behind the team. Nothing to do with messages on DTV or Facebook.  Regardless of who the players or manager is airdrie fans will come and watch.  Good play and fans will get behind them, bad play fans will complain.  I've seen plenty stay behind to applaud players off when we have lost because we seen hard work and decent play.  It won't change and I for 1 hope it never does.  
I need to agree with both the sentiments above.
I could cope with being beat 3-2 or 4-3 if the effort is there.
Its the going out with a whimper (see 0-1 vs. Raith then again vs. Montrose).
That's the exact reason the fans turn.
I've stayed and clapped guys off the park following a defeat where they've actually earned their wage and put in a shift.
We've seen in fits and starts this year that there's performances in there (first half vs. Hamilton is one of the best halfs of football I've seen from an airdrie team).

12 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I need to agree with both the sentiments above.
I could cope with being beat 3-2 or 4-3 if the effort is there.
Its the going out with a whimper (see 0-1 vs. Raith then again vs. Montrose).
That's the exact reason the fans turn.
I've stayed and clapped guys off the park following a defeat where they've actually earned their wage and put in a shift.
We've seen in fits and starts this year that there's performances in there (first half vs. Hamilton is one of the best halfs of football I've seen from an airdrie team).

The fans turning lead to the manager getting told to get the finger out  and turn things round pronto and there is a recognition in places one or two people not long associated were causing a rift with their ridiculous statements and threats of bans. 

The trust asked if I would speak with Gary Sansome who is the MC for Saturday night’s stand up comedy even in the Workmans. Lovely guy and sound like a great night to celebrate being top of the league come 5pm!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/otl-podcast/id1458037240#episodeGuid=tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F709469497

Bald Man Sings Rihanna

Just seen a preview of tonight’s A View From The Terrace. They’ve got a feature on the Dumbarton Ultras (the young boys with the drum that follow them) They faced a lot of opposition from the fans at the start but are beginning to win them round. Duffy commented that they were losing to Clyde and the team weren’t playing well but the young boys kept backing them and it gave the players a lift. Got me thinking that we should encourage the young crowd we had to come back (even if it means they bring the drum) Thoughts?

Just seen a preview of tonight’s A View From The Terrace. They’ve got a feature on the Dumbarton Ultras (the young boys with the drum that follow them) They faced a lot of opposition from the fans at the start but are beginning to win them round. Duffy commented that they were losing to Clyde and the team weren’t playing well but the young boys kept backing them and it gave the players a lift. Got me thinking that we should encourage the young crowd we had to come back (even if it means they bring the drum) Thoughts?

Maybe a whip round for some drumming lessons.

Dumbarton have their little group.  Forfar have the same. It would be good to have some noise at our home games.  Reduce prices or make it free for all kids is the only way of attracting a new generation of fans. Ok It could annoy some who sit near the noise but if they come to back the diamonds I really dont mind.  I've said before give the stand behind the goals to the kids. It should be open to all school kids. Any way of attracting new/more coming to see our games can only be a good thing. 

if only we had a supporters trust who the club could use for consultations on things like drums and family sections.

think we'll score early today but not sure if we can hang on for a result. Fingers crossed!

What a difference 3 weeks makes. Finally some commitment in our team selection and formation. And much more importantly, the boys have a never say die attitude. That’s the type of Airdrie I grew up watching. Yeah, on paper Falkirk are probably a better team than us. No different to the 90s team that travelled to Ibrox or Tynecastle with NO FEAR. Time to put the foot down and make sure we are serious contenders coming in to 2020. Yes, I’d like to see some additions to the team in the new year but if we can keep this winning streak going I’ll be all smiles through Christmas

You go these kinda games after a good spell and wonder if it would be a test to far. When that last second long throw finally found an Airdrie head and Gallagher rattled it home I was absolutely thrilled ; the fan reaction told it's own story as did the delight of the players and management. I felt we did have a good opening spell but Falkirk did seem able to find space and move the play really quickly for about 20 minutes after that; they never really threatened to score  but their was a lot of hard defensive work against their attacking full backs. The wee guy Gomis maybe had too much time and energy in that first half  and there were some scares. The goal did come against the run of play but it was a super pass by Roberts (I think) and Gallagher 's drive set up a great cross for McKay to get up into the box. That is now three crucial goals he has scored and although not everyone's favourite he is  much better than Nat.

Crighton had a smashing free kick well saved to keep it to a one goal lead.    I expected to be under pressure in the second half and Falkirk did deserve to equalise but our resilience was summed up by that amazing run and drive by Roberts . We should have gone back in front when Crighton (in falling back) blasted over. Yes we did have to sustain lots of attacks  and thank goodness Sammon was poor. Just as I was relieved we were back up the park, that long throw by McKay sparked off those scenes. 

Finally a team that is playing with energy and skill: Gallagher at CF was outstanding and all the others ran themselves into the ground. McCann was amazing for such a young player; Roberts in the 2nd half was relentless but there were no failures; even the goalie coach got a booking so maybe that settled passion is on the bench as well. Roll on Stranraer!

15 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

What a difference 3 weeks makes. Finally some commitment in our team selection and formation. And much more importantly, the boys have a never say die attitude. That’s the type of Airdrie I grew up watching. Yeah, on paper Falkirk are probably a better team than us. No different to the 90s team that travelled to Ibrox or Tynecastle with NO FEAR. Time to put the foot down and make sure we are serious contenders coming in to 2020. Yes, I’d like to see some additions to the team in the new year but if we can keep this winning streak going I’ll be all smiles through Christmas

I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles ,and I have a similar feeling tonight.

You don't get many afternoons like that as an Airdrie fan. And by God we haven't had one in a long long time. But that was utterly superb. All we've ever asked for is the team to play with some heart, commitment and give everything for the diamond and they sure did that today. Probably best summed up by Roberts' (who I thought had a very good game throughout) run and tenacity to win the ball back before eventually being fouled. What a difference in this team to even the team we had last season. Was great to see how much it meant to them, Murray and of course us, the support, who were magnificent throughout. Atmosphere was first class. For all of Falkirk's possession, and Gomis ran the show for them, I didn't think they created too many clear cut chances, aside from the numerous corners that they eventually scored from (my only minor! grumble). Having said that, in typical Airdrie fashion I thought if any team were to score a late winner it would be them. But the team weren't for giving up and good on them for going for it when it would have been easier to just play into the corner and play for the draw. Nice to see McKay get another goal and one of his long throw's finally come off. Kudos to Ian Murray too for sticking with the same team and again, for going for the win. 

How good is it to finally win a big game? 

Still not counting my chickens but I sure am delighted tonight. Won't make next week but here's hoping we go to Cliftonhill on the back of another win. 

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Spot on. It’s been a long, long time since I had a Saturday night feeling proud of the team. The commitment, effort (and skill) shown today was immense. Worlds away from just a few weeks ago. Every player worked their arse off, chased down everything. Hard to single players out but have to say that Roberts, Smith  and Carrick seemed to be everywhere....lost count of the times Falkirk went forward quickly and Callum Smith was the guy closing down their forwards. For the amount of pressure we had to soak up at times, the defence were solid.

Haven’t gone radio rental at a goal for a while but Callum Gallagher changed that in 93rd minute!! Scenes.

Being an Airdrie fan for 50ish years I look at next week’s trip to Stranraer as a chance we could come back down with a bump, but, if we play like today we shouldn’t be worried by anyone in this division.

If you'd be told me after the defeat to Montrose (probably the worst Airdrie performance I can remember) that we'd win our next 3, scoring 9 goals and beating the league favourites away from home I'd have laughed at you. It just took ditching the dire 3-5-2, getting some pace out wide, energy in midfield and we look like a different team. The players all look so much more comfortable in their positions, we look pretty solid at the back and look a threat every time we go forward by getting bodies in the box. It is night and day compared to earlier in the season when, even when we got results, we were awful to watch.

I hope that result helps us overcome a big mental hurdle too. In recent years in this league our results away to the bigger sides in the league have been awful (see our away record to Raith for evidence), we seem to just expect to lose. Hopefully this result gives us more belief, the fact we continued to go for the win in the last minute by sticking the centre backs forward is really encouraging too and fair play to Murray for that.

If we can keep that team on the park I am pretty confident we will be in the play-offs at worst, with an outside shot at something better. Huge game at Stranraer next week, hopefully we can keep momentum going.

Had the old Airdrie spirt right throughout the team enjoyed the whole day great fans good game best two teams in the league. 

Still on a bright note pity they didn't listen to the fans and change the formation a bit earlier or we would have won the league by now lol 

If we can keep fighting like today we will win the league.

Edited by Eric the half a b