The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That was the Drew Jarvie getting punched but not the diamond game I was quoted. Good try 

Texaco Cup Final 1st leg?  In those days in Scotland the home team changed their strip if there was a clash.

My favourite strip is our diamond top with white shorts and black, red & white socks.  I don't think we have had black socks since our reincarnation?

41 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Didn't make it yesterday but did we end up 4-2-1-3 with McKay and Miller as holding midfield and Roberts in an attacking role. is that the midfield combo we need with 4 at the back

Started with Wedderburn and McKay as holding midfielders and Roberts in front of them. Smith out right and Carrick on the left with Gallagher through the middle. Millar replaced Wedderburn just after half time.

Felt it worked really well and we looked a lot more organised. Still not keen on McKay, dont think he offers much and was easily out jumped for their goal. Lost his man at a corner earlier in the game as well which luckily the Forfar player glanced past the post. 

We played better as a back 4 as well and McCann seemed much more comfortable in his natural left back position rather than left wing back. 

2 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

Texaco Cup Final 1st leg?  In those days in Scotland the home team changed their strip if there was a clash.

My favourite strip is our diamond top with white shorts and black, red & white socks.  I don't think we have had black socks since our reincarnation?

Thanks for the interest in the question. Not the Derby games and to help out it was not that season. What a tease I am. I agree about the socks but prefer shorts of a varying colour. The Red and Black socks this season kinda remind me of Rugby Union kit. 

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for the interest in the question. Not the Derby games and to help out it was not that season. What a tease I am. I agree about the socks but prefer shorts of a varying colour. The Red and Black socks this season kinda remind me of Rugby Union kit. 

forest away

2 minutes ago, Elgindiamond said:

Forest change strip -blue

Your long stay in Elgin has done you no harm and I never knew that until yesterday. It made me wonder how often the strips of the home team have featured for both teams, It shows how happy we were on return from Forfar that we could go back 40 years of memories. 

34 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That was the Drew Jarvie getting punched but not the diamond game I was quoted. Good try 

Colin Boulton  the Derby goalkeeper punched him. Jack Taylor took no action.  Remember my old man cursing at the TV when he refereed  the 1974 World Cup Final.

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Colin Boulton  the Derby goalkeeper punched him. Jack Taylor took no action.  Remember my old man cursing at the TV when he refereed  the 1974 World Cup Final.

Did he not get the final over R H Davidson (Airdrie) ?  Fond memories also of Big Derek and the recent report into head injuries in football made me think of his sad early departure. I missed the final which I think had been initially cancelled due to water logged pitch and I could not sneak another day off work. 

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Not only did Taylor referee the World Cup final between West Germany v Holland in Germany he awarded Holland a penalty in the first minute! Mind you he later awarded West Germany a penalty too and they went on to win.

My take on the Jarvie incident was that having seen the ball in the Keeper’s hands, Taylor must have turned his back and ran upfield expecting the ball to be kicked up there. Had he seen the incident the only possible decision was the keeper sent off and a penalty to Airdrie.