The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Smith and Carrick with Gallacher through the middle. Bit of luck with first goal the 2nd half with Miller McKay and Robert's was more mobile and a much better balance couple of good goals Smith's the best.  There were some good signs still may not be perfect I just hope this team and formation starts next week. It also shows having more mobile players in midfield actually works. Good win and deserved. 

Smith and Carrick with Gallacher through the middle. Bit of luck with first goal the 2nd half with Miller McKay and Robert's was more mobile and a much better balance couple of good goals Smith's the best.  There were some good signs still may not be perfect I just hope this team and formation starts next week. It also shows having more mobile players in midfield actually works. Good win and deserved. 

At the start of the season Murray would have insisted on playing Smith through the middle with Gallagher out wide. This way makes a lot more sense to me. Onwards and upwards.

24 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

At the start of the season Murray would have insisted on playing Smith through the middle with Gallagher out wide. This way makes a lot more sense to me. Onwards and upwards.

Yes hope so they did try to play  football not long diagonal balls some good signs second half particularly had some good signs.  Good win on a chilly baltic day nearly as good as  the bridies.

My first ever post and first viewing of Airdrie this season despite being a diehard supporter for many decades. Airdrie dominated the first 20 mins and should have scored when Carrick through with only keeper to beat. Shot straight at him instead of a dink over the keeper.  Despite that I was impressed with his tireless running. Smith was very impressive and great goal. Lost a very soft goal from a corner but overall Forfar were poor and never threatened other than from corners. Difficult to say how good Airdrie were given the opposition but second half they performed well and took their chances although the equaliser was down to keeper error. Certainly played far better than last season’s abysmal performance at Station Park.  Didn’t appear to be too many away supporters compared to previous encounters.

Delighted today finally played with gallacher through the middle with Carrick and smith wide. Curtis roberts played further up with nat and McKay sitting.  Not sure if it was poor defensive from forfar but gal won most high balls but we actually played some football not longballs in hope.  Same as usual from the defence solid in open play but corners and free kicks are still needing work.  2nd half is the best this season by far but now we have to back it up next week.  Young McCann played well too. Going on today's performance I'd stay with him starting next week.  Big nat came off with an injury and Miller looked much better passing forward rather than sideways.   Now we have to look up the table and show we are capable of much more than a good 2nd half in a couple of games.  Maybe show we can actually play football from the start of a game and not wait till we're 1 down before we push up the pitch.  

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

I did think we were a bit unlucky to go behind  from a poorly defended corner and Carrick should have given us the lead before that. Neither side had much football going and it was a laugh to see that moaning faced Forbes berating his own captain for some wayward boots. The 4-3-3 did look a lot better once we got up the park but there were still loads of groans at Wedderburn still being on the park ( in spirit rather than presence) especially as he was fouled quite badly in the early minutes and limped on for all of the first half. When he reappeared he was no fitter and the turning point came with Millar's arrival. The goalie must have had the sun in his eyes as he let Carrick (Must score) shoot past him and he then spilled it behind the line. That stunned Forfar and Smith won an aerial duel to set up Gallagher for a smashing lob over McCallum inside a minute. I was praying the ball would drop in and it did. from then on Forfar never looked like they would score and a brilliant interception/drive and shot from Calum Smith gave us a 3-1 lead. Wee Hilson did rattle one of the bar but Roy finished the game by being alert in the box. It was a real turn around and the 4-3-3 with a very mobile Smith and Carrick and a real Centre in Gallagher was the reason. The other driving factor was that Roberts/Millar and even Mckay had the engines to do it. I counted at least 11 long throws from McKay but no goal today. Forfar did not have enough of a presence in midfield and apart from Hilson were lacking the Baird factor.  Surely Murray will take Cameron's hint on a settled side which means leaving Nat on the injured bench. Dumbarton to come and only 4 points behind top spot-I am baffled. Never had a Bridie went for a Pie and Bovril!

Edited by Chapelhall chap

28 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I did think we were a bit unlucky to go behind  from a poorly defended corner and Carrick should have given us the lead before that. Neither side had much football going and it was a laugh to see that moaning faced Forbes berating his own captain for some wayward boots. The 4-3-3 did look a lot better once we got up the park but there were still loads of groans at Wedderburn still being on the park ( in spirit rather than presence) especially as he was fouled quite badly in the early minutes and limped on for all of the first half. When he reappeared he was no fitter and the turning point came with Millar's arrival. The goalie must have had the sun in his eyes as he let Carrick (Must score) shoot past him and he then spilled it behind the line. That stunned Forfar and Smith won an aerial duel to set up Gallagher for a smashing lob over McCallum inside a minute. I was praying the ball would drop in and it did. from then on Forfar never looked like they would score and a brilliant interception/drive and shot from Calum Smith gave us a 3-1 lead. Wee Hilson did rattle one of the bar but Roy finished the game by being alert in the box. It was a real turn around and the 4-3-3 with a very mobile Smith and Carrick and a real Centre in Gallagher was the reason. The other driving factor was that Roberts/Millar and even Mckay had the engines to do it. I counted at least 11 long throws from McKay but no goal today. Forfar did not have enough of a presence in midfield and apart from Hilson were lacking the Baird factor.  Surely Murray will take Cameron's hint on a settled side which means leaving Nat on the injured bench. Dumbarton to come and only 4 points behind top spot-I am baffled. Never had a Bridie went for a Pie and Bovril!

Omg should have had the bridie. Ur right about the big guy strange how the manager kept him on the park so long. 

Great win today and a much improved performance after the last few weeks.  Felt we were unlucky to be behind at half time, thought we had just shaded a tight 1st half and Carrick should have put us in front with a great chance! Lost a cheap goal from another corner which was headed back across goal from the back post...players seemed to suggest it might have went out at the back post but from a defensive point of view we have to be making sure we win the initial header! 

2nd half we started well and got a quick equaliser thanks to an error from McCallum who someone managed to spill Carricks shot over the line. Then even quicker than that we were in front when Smith flicked the ball on for Gallagher to run through and lob the ball over McCallum....seemed to take an age for the ball to come back down and drop in below the bar! After that we looked quite comfortable with Forfar rarely threatening and then Smith, who had a great game out on the right wing, intercepted a poor Forfar pass and raced through on goal before cutting onto his right foot and finishing with a great strike! Forfar hit the bar and had another opportunity just wide before Roy rounded off a resounding victory late on.

Overall thought we were well organised and the players put in a great shift...impressed with Smith and Carrick on both wings who never stopped working. Crighton was solid at the back and Roberts had a decent game in midfield. Thought Kieron Millar done extremely well when he came on and could have earned himself an start next week in place of Wedderburn. Apart from that the team should pick itself for next week, a game we need to follow up this weeks win with another positive result! 

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

Omg should have had the bridie. Ur right about the big guy strange how the manager kept him on the park so long. 

Always preferred Christie's bridies but I'll take your advice next time. The big guy is the weak point IMO and would not be missed. Montrose have now won 4 in a row and I wonder if anyone else has done that this season? We have some difficult away games coming up so maybe we need to get home form  improved.

Just watched the game, excellent goals.

Heard a guy in the crowd say it was embarassing when we scored our 3rd....hopefully we are on our way to being the Airdrie that are expected to stick a few past Forfar.

Nothing against big Nat, I'm sure he tries his hardest but if he had been taken off much earlier - and to be fair to Nat, that is Murray's call ultimately, not his - you wonder if we would have hammered Forfar by even more?

Either way, I was delighted with the overall performance and the fact that we managed to come from behind to get a convincing win.  Wonder what odds a bookie would have given you at half-time for a 4-1 victory for Airdrie?!!

Great win yesterday. Hope all the fans that went up and the players and staff enjoyed themselves. Not convinced it's anything other than a one-off as of yet but hopefully NOW we can kick-on and go on a bit of a run. Madness to think we're only 4 points off the top. Having said that our away form is very good - 4 wins and 1 defeat. Whereas our home form is absolutely dire. If it doesn't improve soon that will ultimately be the difference maker come the end of the season.But hopefully it will, starting from next week against Dumbarton. 

Early days yet but look at the two Forfar games 1st game of the season we played 3 5 2 long ball tactic static midfield allowed Forfar looked good and were able to run though us, yesterday more attack minded we controlled the game second half in particular and perhaps not the best Forfar  team ever it was a good result and hopefully something we can build on.

On 13/10/2019 at 07:21, Tory Boy said:

I know we've got a few major problems in the team but I really don't get the Gallagher & Smith situation.  

I know Smith is a fans favourite and in some fans eyes can't do any wrong but for me he is not a centre forward. His shooting isn't up to scratch. He misses too many chances. That one yesterday in the second half when he was put through with a great pass (by Robert's I think?) Should have been buried.  Hes constantly missing chances like that. Where he is good is running at full backs and stretching the defence so play him out wide. 

Gallagher on the other hand is a finisher. He is a penalty box striker and we've got him out wide. Yesterday there were a number of good balls put into the box, especially in the 2nd half when Hawkshaw and Eckersly combined on the left hand side. We were crying out for someone like Gallagher to finish one of them. 

I really don't get why Murray doesn't swap them around. 

Has Murray been reading my post? Haha

If so, can I ask at home matches we start with more intensity. Press the opposition. Don't let them settle, get at them early doors. Instead of usual pedestrian style, until late on when its panic stations and we're having to chase the game.

Edited by Tory Boy

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Anyone noticed that we wore our away kit for our only home league win (vs clyde)? Hope it's not the diamond that's cursed

It's the socks to blame  with the home kit just not right and not having red shorts costs us a goal or two a season ... not that I'm a traditionalist lol 

3 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

It's the socks to blame  with the home kit just not right and not having red shorts costs us a goal or two a season ... not that I'm a traditionalist lol 

In terms of wearing the diamond I am a bit of a traditionalist but I quite liked black shorts. I also discovered yesterday , never having twigged it,  that in a certain Texaco cup game we were prevented by the Ref, in wearing the diamond,and used a different strip. I know it was the 70s but any veterans guess the answer?

34 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

In terms of wearing the diamond I am a bit of a traditionalist but I quite liked black shorts. I also discovered yesterday , never having twigged it,  that in a certain Texaco cup game we were prevented by the Ref, in wearing the diamond,and used a different strip. I know it was the 70s but any veterans guess the answer?

Now that's a question. 

I

52 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I'll go for Jack Taylor - Texaco Cup Final - 2nd leg.