The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Yeah that’s fair, I just feel like this is the last chance saloon. In that stadium, the only person who could make it work would be the stadium owner. I’ve given up on any other ownership model and so if this one doesn’t work, I’m resigned to it being all over and some other type of Airdrie FC starting elsewhere.

I deliberately avoided going as far as saying "last chance saloon" but I'm not far away from believing this is the case.

14 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

In the absence of any other model, I think it’s the present owners or bust. I find the failure to work with the trust and things like the family section statement a really strange way to do things on that basis though? Surely you’d want all the help you could get in trying to feign promotion.

Yup.  I banged on about this ad infinitum before but, at a club like Airdrie with limited resources and support, it makes absolutely no sense to alienate any individual or group who want to do their bit in helping the club to succeed.

For me the issue with money isn't that the stadium owner doesn't have it or anything like that, but I just can't see how he could keep that level of investment (as it appears from the outside) up for any period of time.

If we don't get promoted this year what does next season look like? Surely it wouldn't be ran on the scale that this season was?

He has the most to lose so I wouldn't think for a second that he'd take any decisions lightly. I want to see as much investment as possible but we've been screwed over before and would hate to see the current model not being sustainable and essentially a whole new plan being implemeted next season on the back of what had been another failure to add to JB's and TW's.

Yeah that’s fair, I just feel like this is the last chance saloon. In that stadium, the only person who could make it work would be the stadium owner. I’ve given up on any other ownership model and so if this one doesn’t work, I’m resigned to it being all over and some other type of Airdrie FC starting elsewhere.

As you say, no one wants that. The trust were asked for £20k as part of a share issue after the fall out, if that issue went ahead and the trust had been a 10% owner, that makes me think that up to £180k went in as share capital from the other shareholders in the close season.

In the absence of any other model, I think it’s the present owners or bust. I find the failure to work with the trust and things like the family section statement a really strange way to do things on that basis though? Surely you’d want all the help you could get in trying to feign promotion.

A lot of fans bought into the consortium model as it meant that there wouldn’t be a single person in control. One by one, almost all of the consortium have been forced out and we’re back to one person running the show. If PH pulls the plug, the club’s finished.

5 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

He’s the worst manager Airdrie have had in my lifetime and theres been a few bad ones. 

I don't know how many years are currently in your lifetime but while I have a lot of quibbles in his period here, in my 60 years and more recently since 2003, there are at least two other candidates starting with Kenny Black and featuring Mark Wilson; there are some similarities with Mark in the post match interviews and maybe it's just as well Kenny was before that time.

Like most mangers he is always one win from pleasing me and a  loss away from FFS

16 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

It’s a sad state of affairs when pessimism is no longer defined by being open to the possibility of losing to Albion Rovers by at least 6 goals.

I had forgotten that Jimmy Boyle was manager then so he is also one of the worst ( in difficult circumstances I have to admit)  Had a look at both teams that day and noticed Steven Lawless on loan as well as Gaston in goals for Rovers. Only Bain of our team has gone on to have a fairly solid career.   As far as cup opponents go I would want to avoid Fort William for a real banana skin and media attention world wide.  What was the quote: a pessimist is an optimist with experience?

I had forgotten that Jimmy Boyle was manager then so he is also one of the worst ( in difficult circumstances I have to admit)  Had a look at both teams that day and noticed Steven Lawless on loan as well as Gaston in goals for Rovers. Only Bain of our team has gone on to have a fairly solid career.   As far as cup opponents go I would want to avoid Fort William for a real banana skin and media attention world wide.  What was the quote: a pessimist is an optimist with experience?

Connor Fairley [emoji33]

Is that not the season we had a really strong finish and got to the playoff final... only to get skelped off Dumbarton!

3 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

Connor Fairley emoji33.png

Indeed a horror. I think we missed a penalty (Owens?) to make it 4-3 against  at one point, but it was grim.  Sally and Morton and Donnelly -how I long for the days of youth non  development? Have decided to go to Forfar tomorrow, but be afraid be very afraid

Not sure how much money they'd want or if they'd even be interested in the slightest but apparently Fraser Fyvie and Fraser Aird's contracts at Cove run out in January. A winger and a non-defensive centre mid is exactly what we need in my opinion but I'll not get my hopes up
Fyvie recently extended his contract at Cove until the end of the season.

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/251019/Forfar-Athletic-vs-Airdrieonians

The players spout some amount of shite when previewing the games. It’s just as bad as the shite Murray spouts after the games.

From that article: "Josh Kerr is looking to the future as Airdrie aim to get back to winning ways against Forfar Athletic."

I'd settle for him just passing to an Airdrie player instead of gifting away another goal.

Reading the preview it filled me with huge disappointment. Josh like many players believe that their results are due to  'bad luck' or not 'getting the breaks'. I'm afraid that this dillusional view is common with many players. The poor results are due to a lack of quality and poor decision making as everyone knows. It is also down to a lack of confidence at this level.

I hope they prove me wrong tomorrow and 'get the breaks' but I won't be spending 30 quid to find out.

7 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Reading the preview it filled me with huge disappointment. Josh like many players believe that their results are due to  'bad luck' or not 'getting the breaks'. I'm afraid that this dillusional view is common with many players. The poor results are due to a lack of quality and poor decision making as everyone knows. It is also down to a lack of confidence at this level.

I hope they prove me wrong tomorrow and 'get the breaks' but I won't be spending 30 quid to find out.

The boy looks like the confidence has been drained out him from when he first came, the Ian Murray effect 

4 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

The boy looks like the confidence has been drained out him from when he first came, the Ian Murray effect 

I'm not sure about that....even in the Cowdenbeath game he looked shaky once or twice when challenged for the ball, and had a lapse of concentration at one point too.

He played well overall but I was a wee bit worried at that point. So not sure that this can be layed at Murrays feet.