The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

The way I see it, if the stadium owner can’t make it work, then it probably confirms what we all fear - It’s not sustainable to run Airdrieonians out of that stadium.

If we went bust again, It would at probably mean we’d rid ourselves of having to rattle about in that big white elephant. The lease would fall away and I would have thought some sort of FC Onians of Airdrie playing out of Cliftonhill/Gartcairn would be the only logical conclusion.

I’d much rather we manage to build a club which can fill the place out, but can anyone other than the Stadium owner do 

How many would go to Coatbridge to support the Diamonds  Gartcain? We would reduce standards and expectations and be saying how bad we are in the juniors lol. One thing the owner knows is finances and is a shrewd operator while we may argue pros and cons fact is the aim is to be in league 1. The manager needs to look at himself his tactics not working.  Need to aim higher. 

If PH is in it for the long haul, he would eventually need to weigh up whether it is financially viable to operate the stadium. If it’s not paying for itself (and the club) One option would be to downsize on the current site and sell off some of the land. Or he could sell all of the land and build a small stadium on another site (where I don’t know) Can’t see anything happening in the foreseeable future. Especially when the pitch is to be replaced at the end of the season at a cost of approx 100k.

If PH is in it for the long haul, he would eventually need to weigh up whether it is financially viable to operate the stadium. If it’s not paying for itself (and the club) One option would be to downsize on the current site and sell off some of the land. Or he could sell all of the land and build a small stadium on another site (where I don’t know) Can’t see anything happening in the foreseeable future. Especially when the pitch is to be replaced at the end of the season at a cost of approx 100k.

Hard to see any rejigging of the Stadium releasing cash. Even to build a Dumbarton style one stand must cost a couple of million surely?

20 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Hard to see any rejigging of the Stadium releasing cash. Even to build a Dumbarton style one stand must cost a couple of million surely?

In conversation with the previous owner who reckoned with crowds of 1200 we could play at a decent level. It is a strange one having such a big squad. The manager thinks it's a 2 year plan with playoffs the bare minimum. We can only hope he has got the message with our home form of late he needs to get a better balance with more energy in the middle of the park.

2 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

We have one of the top 10 stadiums in Scotland IMO it is and should be something to be proud of,    why would we want to downsize and build a 2 k one when we have had a 10k one for the past 20 years.    The current owners PH has his critics , but is investing a small fortune to try and rebuild this club,   His main problem is and was over thinking the football side,  DOF, Hybrid system,  if he sat back and appointed a tried and tested manager with a successful cv we would be much better off,   it's impossible to change this current lot now, Its in the club's DNA for this season,   Next Season get it right ffs.....

We have one of the top 10 stadiums in Scotland IMO it is and should be something to be proud of,    why would we want to downsize and build a 2 k one when we have had a 10k one for the past 20 years.    The current owners PH has his critics , but is investing a small fortune to try and rebuild this club,   His main problem is and was over thinking the football side,  DOF, Hybrid system,  if he sat back and appointed a tried and tested manager with a successful cv we would be much better off,   it's impossible to change this current lot now, Its in the club's DNA for this season,   Next Season get it right ffs.....

I agree most clubs would swap for our stadium, but we’re not capable of creating an atmosphere in it.

This place is a dump, but at least it can feel full on our crowds.

Surely the stadium owners have the most to lose here? If the club was to go bust, the main income stream for the stadium business disappears. They’ve also paid the majority of what was required to get Wotherspoon and the Ballantine shares.

They would be left with a stadium and no team. As bad as we are at the moment. Surely no one else is putting 1,000 people in there if we go bust?

Not sure what you’re meaning here. If a business fails then of course the party who has the most invested has the most to lose and I doubt any business owner deliberately wants their business to fail.

The fact is, though, some businesses do fail.

My reply was to someone asking why supporters care about club finances because they didn’t worry about this kind of thing in the past.

None of us see the club accounts but we’ve seen enough Livingstons, Dundees and Gretnas over the past few years to spot similarities with clubs with large, potentially expensive squads who don’t have matching attendance figures.

I don’t mind saying I’m concerned, especially since I doubt there is any cavalry waiting come riding over the horizon.

I’ll probably get it in the neck here but I think the most viable option is to sell up when the lease is up and go for a smaller new build stadium sharing with the Rovers. Our whole problem started by building a stadium that in the cold light of day wasn’t required. We were historically a mid table/challengers at Championship level, there was no real requirement for a 10k all seater on our average attendances, even in the premier league. Falkirk have proved that. Go for 6k, four sides, some standing, more central to both towns. Not sure what land is available though. Shared costs all round , leaving more cash generated that stays with the clubs. 20+ years ago I’d have been dead against it but it’s making more and more sense to me the longer we struggle on at this level.

I’ve probably over-simplified the situation but I think PH has primarily took the decision to run the club to provide a regular income for the stadium. He’s spent a bit of money on the 1st team in an attempt to get us promoted into the Championship - more money and bigger travelling supports generating a greater income. We’ve brought in young prospects to hopefully develop and sell on. And there’s money to be made from any games against the big teams (particularly the OF) especially at home which is where the 10,000 seats come in.

I don''t think we are going to have to worry about the rare possibility of an OF game when the team we have cant even beat the likes of Elgin.

We can all see what the club are attempting to do.

- Grow a younger supporter base via things like the free season tickets for kids and the "family section".
- Try to develop a longer term and more stable team by investing in youth players.

Sounds good, doesn't work when the current first team are pish, and you have high level staff members having a go at the fans, which only serves to drive away the adults who have been dragging their kids to the games.

I'd punt the DoF at this point, it's not as though his recruitment has been great at all on top of other things, and I would give Murray an ultimatum to turn things around by the new year. Wouldn't have given him a 2 year contract, but it's too late for that now I suppose.

13 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

And even then a lot of fans wouldn't be happy about it, come to think about it so factions of Dumbarton's board want to ditch it and move somewhere else.  Surely if you wanted to improve the atmosphere in the stadium you need more fans in, so reduce the prices, imaybe not for the whole stadium,  but how about a cut price safe standing area behind one of the goals.  Many benefits in that, including the nasty shouty sweary types would be well away from the poor manager

And even then a lot of fans wouldn't be happy about it, come to think about it so factions of Dumbarton's board want to ditch it and move somewhere else.  Surely if you wanted to improve the atmosphere in the stadium you need more fans in, so reduce the prices, imaybe not for the whole stadium,  but how about a cut price safe standing area behind one of the goals.  Many benefits in that, including the nasty shouty sweary types would be well away from the poor manager
Fake news.

Absolutely no one on our board wants to move. Our owners (who take absolutely nothing to do with the club) want us to move so they can make a quick buck from the sale of the current land and f**k off.

A stadium like ours, if you owned it yourselves, would be ideal IMO. You'll get the usual losers banging on about 'soul' and other birthday caird pish but in the real world it's an ideal facility for a club with a sub 1000 average gate.

I'm always wary of the type of comments along the lines of "Aye, but his assistant was really the brains behind everything when X was manager here"....

... but you've got to wonder if that was the case with Ian Murray at Dumbarton.

I'm always wary of the type of comments along the lines of "Aye, but his assistant was really the brains behind everything when X was manager here"....
... but you've got to wonder if that was the case with Ian Murray at Dumbarton.
It wasn't.

A fair chunk of our fans had convinced themselves that was the case but it really wasn't. Ross was only his assistant for a season and a half before departing for Hearts. After his departure Murray still comfortably kept us in the Championship.

Very recently big Andy Graham was asked the very question on a podcast. Whilst he admitted they worked brilliantly as a team he made it very clear that Murray was the gaffer and his success at Dumbarton was his own doing. Jack Ross was the assisant before Murray arrived and we were being run like a Sunday league outfit (only half a pitch to train on etc). Murray came in and had the players training and behaving like full-time players with ice baths, a sports scientist, diet plans etc.

Ian Murray is the best manager Dumbarton have had in my lifetime, no doubt about it. He turned us from a Sunday league rabble into a team who were reguarly spanking full-time outfits and missed out on the Premiership promotion playoffs by a bawhair.

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It wasn't.

A fair chunk of our fans had convinced themselves that was the case but it really wasn't. Ross was only his assistant for a season and a half before departing for Hearts. After his departure Murray still comfortably kept us in the Championship.

Very recently big Andy Graham was asked the very question on a podcast. Whilst he admitted they worked brilliantly as a team he made it very clear that Murray was the gaffer and his success at Dumbarton was his own doing. Jack Ross was the assisant before Murray arrived and we were being run like a Sunday league outfit (only half a pitch to train on etc). Murray came in and had the players training and behaving like full-time players with ice baths, a sports scientist, diet plans etc.

Ian Murray is the best manager Dumbarton have had in my lifetime, no doubt about it. He turned us from a Sunday league rabble into a team who were reguarly spanking full-time outfits and missed out on the Premiership promotion playoffs by a bawhair.

Fair enough. Looks like the instinct to be wary was correct. It is weird that he's not been able to get anywhere near the level of success he had at Dumbarton at subsequent clubs.

It wasn't.  Ian Murray is the best manager Dumbarton have had in my lifetime, no doubt about it. He turned us from a Sunday league rabble into a team who were reguarly spanking full-time outfits and missed out on the Premiership promotion playoffs by a bawhair.  

He’s the worst manager Airdrie have had in my lifetime and theres been a few bad ones. 

Not sure what you’re meaning here. If a business fails then of course the party who has the most invested has the most to lose and I doubt any business owner deliberately wants their business to fail.

The fact is, though, some businesses do fail.

My reply was to someone asking why supporters care about club finances because they didn’t worry about this kind of thing in the past.

None of us see the club accounts but we’ve seen enough Livingstons, Dundees and Gretnas over the past few years to spot similarities with clubs with large, potentially expensive squads who don’t have matching attendance figures.

I don’t mind saying I’m concerned, especially since I doubt there is any cavalry waiting come riding over the horizon.

Yeah that’s fair, I just feel like this is the last chance saloon. In that stadium, the only person who could make it work would be the stadium owner. I’ve given up on any other ownership model and so if this one doesn’t work, I’m resigned to it being all over and some other type of Airdrie FC starting elsewhere.

As you say, no one wants that. The trust were asked for £20k as part of a share issue after the fall out, if that issue went ahead and the trust had been a 10% owner, that makes me think that up to £180k went in as share capital from the other shareholders in the close season.

In the absence of any other model, I think it’s the present owners or bust. I find the failure to work with the trust and things like the family section statement a really strange way to do things on that basis though? Surely you’d want all the help you could get in trying to feign promotion.

Agree, but I fear even if you ran a free season tickets for adults campaign and essentially opened the gates you might get 2,000.

A reduction to £15 would have been a positive statement. £17 seems an awful lot.