The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

There's comment up there about Murray not trusting his enough to do anything but play defensively.

Just reminding people that this was the mantra last season when he was having to cope with Findus's signings. It most definitely shouldn't be the case now that him and Millar have signed a whole new team.

27 minutes ago, Moon said:

There's comment up there about Murray not trusting his enough to do anything but play defensively.

Just reminding people that this was the mantra last season when he was having to cope with Findus's signings. It most definitely shouldn't be the case now that him and Millar have signed a whole new team.

Aye signed almost 3teams .taking in all the players we have signed there is not one outstanding player  that you would be disappointed if he was not playing on sat .

20 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:
Genuinely where is the money coming from for all of this? Will we be calling in the administrators soon?

Post 3241

How do I get to the above. I think I know what it might say but not sure.

16 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Genuinely where is the money coming from for all of this? Will we be calling in the administrators soon?

Can't remember anyone questioning where the money was coming from when JD owned the club although I would agree that if I was the current owners would be expecting to see some progress & as a fan would be worried if this doesn't materialise within their timescale and they decide enoughs enough.

Can't remember anyone questioning where the money was coming from when JD owned the club although I would agree that if I was the current owners would be expecting to see some progress & as a fan would be worried if this doesn't materialise within their timescale and they decide enoughs enough.

Can’t remember Ballantine having this size of squad on these crowd sizes.

JB always maintained that there would be no spending anything other than income generated. I do recall him having to recoup some personal losses one season when the wage bill was in excess of what came in.

Wotherspoon (for first season anyway) and current owner(s) seem to have found the location of the tory magic money tree. Or some kindly benefactor who prefers their money to go through club accounts for an inexplicable reason.

Do we know the budgets? As bad as things are, we didn’t bring too many in who I think bigger teams would be after?

When there was the trust meeting about the fall out I asked if there were financial issues and Stuart Shields was very clear that he didn’t think there was any issue other than lumpy cash flow which was unavoidable.

Celtic game must have been a decent pay day. 40% share of a 30k gate

4 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Do we know the budgets? As bad as things are, we didn’t bring too many in who I think bigger teams would be after?

That's a pretty big assumption.  Other than the fact that there is f**k all we can do about it if it isn't the case, I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking that one on trust.

What a few folk are alluding to is that we could be in a situation where if we weren’t to achieve promotion this year (taking into consideration the personnel and associated wage bill in trying to achieve this promotion)  we would end up in the same situation as we were under Tom Wotherspoon.   I would hope that the direct link between directors/stadium/club wouldn’t allow this to happen as they have potentially a lot more to lose/risk than TW (no Airdrie FC – empty stadium -no business). Hopefully their long-term sustainable model for the club (and their business) has factored in potential failure this year/next year (and no big Cup draws) but still financially supports a push to reach the Scottish Championship for further years.

Here’s hoping everything doesn’t go “tits up”. That’s me out the family section…..

That's a pretty big assumption.  Other than the fact that there is f**k all we can do about it if it isn't the case, I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking that one on trust.

The way I see it, if the stadium owner can’t make it work, then it probably confirms what we all fear - It’s not sustainable to run Airdrieonians out of that stadium.

If we went bust again, It would at probably mean we’d rid ourselves of having to rattle about in that big white elephant. The lease would fall away and I would have thought some sort of FC Onians of Airdrie playing out of Cliftonhill/Gartcairn would be the only logical conclusion.

I’d much rather we manage to build a club which can fill the place out, but can anyone other than the Stadium owner do that?

11 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

The way I see it, if the stadium owner can’t make it work, then it probably confirms what we all fear - It’s not sustainable to run Airdrieonians out of that stadium.

It would certainly prove that its not sustainable to run a large, unsuccessful squad.  The sustainability of a smaller / more successful squad would still be an untested hypothesis.

58 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Was refering to Jack Dalziel (JD) not ballantyne

He never owned the club.

When he was alive there was no majority shareholder - inidividual shareholdings were capped under the club constitution.  Where the old Airdrie was concerned, that change was the last act of Campbell Craig's board to enable someone to be able to come in and buy the club.  Obviously the new club has had that setup from the start.
Also, as I understand it, he bought players like Coyle from his own pocket and allowed them to play for Airdrie.

Edited to say: it's probably also worth mentioning the blatantly obvious fact that we actually went bust - so maybe there's a reason some fans feel a wee bit more nervous about our financial viability these days.

Edited by stuartcraig

It would certainly prove that its not sustainable to run a large, unsuccessful squad.  The sustainability of a smaller / more successful squad would still be an untested hypothesis.

I would love to see a small first team squad of guys who are proven performers at this or a higher level. I’m not convinced it would be much cheaper than the youngsters and loaners on the books at the minute though? It also might go wrong e.g. I think Eckersley looks a player but he’s been injured most of the season.

Surely the stadium owners have the most to lose here? If the club was to go bust, the main income stream for the stadium business disappears. They’ve also paid the majority of what was required to get Wotherspoon and the Ballantine shares.

They would be left with a stadium and no team. As bad as we are at the moment. Surely no one else is putting 1,000 people in there if we go bust?