The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Keep the faith.... we’ve been through worse times for sure.

Keep the faith in what though?

That the manager will suddenly abandon his attitude to the tactics he's employing?

The director of (f*ck all) football will unearth one or 2 gems amongst that lot that have been signed for the biggest reserve squad in football league history?

This season, if done correctly, could have been very good.  A budget that's stretching to what seems like an endless supply of young guys for a worthless reserve league could have been contained into 18-19 first teamers that might have had a bit about them, or for at least 2 decent strikers either on loan (pay a wage %) or one of the guys dropping from Full time to part time.

Its absolutely criminal the performances, and if anything, we are actually getting worse as the season goes on.

Another season where we'll flap about and do just enough to be safe, but not really trouble the playoff situation.

But aye, keep the faith eh.

Keep the faith in what though?
That the manager will suddenly abandon his attitude to the tactics he's employing?
The director of (f*ck all) football will unearth one or 2 gems amongst that lot that have been signed for the biggest reserve squad in football league history?
This season, if done correctly, could have been very good.  A budget that's stretching to what seems like an endless supply of young guys for a worthless reserve league could have been contained into 18-19 first teamers that might have had a bit about them, or for at least 2 decent strikers either on loan (pay a wage %) or one of the guys dropping from Full time to part time.
Its absolutely criminal the performances, and if anything, we are actually getting worse as the season goes on.
Another season where we'll flap about and do just enough to be safe, but not really trouble the playoff situation.
But aye, keep the faith eh.

I understand, have already voiced my concerns about current situation but if you’ve supported the club for half a century then you’ve seen many good and BAD times. No point in abandoning the club you love because of the current set up. Better times ahead hopefully, keep the faith that will happen. Your frustrated, I get it. But are you ready to walk out on the club??? The other supporter was and would hate to see that happen

Anyone reading my posts over the last 4 or 5 months will know that the hoodwinking we received last season scunnered me and as such I refused to buy in to the hype this year. I was desperate to be proved wrong, but so far things don't look great.

My view is that Murray hasn't solved the midfield problem that we have had for 3 seasons, despite bringing in loads of new players. Also, he seems to be a defence first type of guy which is fine if we are playing Falkirk or Raith, particularly away from home, but not so much at home to Montrose. When you combine these two things, the football is awful to watch, and doesn't even guarantee us a series of wins to console ourselves with.

In addition to this we were told that with Millar bringing in the players we wouldn't be overpaying for underacheivers like last season. Much was made of Kerr and MacKay, of Roy and Wedderburn. But no-one has delivered to any real standard apart from Gallagher who is being played criminally out of position, and Smith who looks a player but doesn't score as often as Seagal. So, Millar hasn't exactly done the bang up job that we were told he would do/had done.

The reality is, Murray has been given a two year deal so I would be majorly shocked if his job is under threat. I've been more willing to give him time than many, but there is no way I could have justified a two year deal at the point he was given it. As things stand, the board and Millar appear to have really messed up with that decision.

Maybe bringing in Cameron as assistant will help things along, God knows we need something.

And as I've been saying for a couple of weeks now, the obvious big spending by the board does have me feeling twitchy about the bigger picture. I hope Penny Cars and Holemasters have deep pockets as I noticed a few vacant advertising boards that I hadn't really been thinking about previously.

51 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I understand, have already voiced my concerns about current situation but if you’ve supported the club for half a century then you’ve seen many good and BAD times. No point in abandoning the club you love because of the current set up. Better times ahead hopefully, keep the faith that will happen. Your frustrated, I get it. But are you ready to walk out on the club??? The other supporter was and would hate to see that happen

I Never once mentioned "abandoning" anything.

I left for a couple of years after having our arses handed to us by Dumbarton in the playoffs, that was it for me and I'll be honest I really didn't miss it.  My wee boy fancied going to the football last year, and his first game was the Sutton cup game at home.  He's really enjoyed it since and gets on with a lot of the guys round about us and they all know him etc.  If, at any point in the near future he decides he doesn't want to go, then I wont be holding a gun to his head and we'll probably find something else to do.

Its been years of broken promises and unfulfilled potential, and with every year now spent languishing, another 100 or so "diehards" fall away.

This year was a great chance to make a move. Young manager with a point to prove, "experienced" director of football, the celtic cup money from last season and looking like as tight a league as there has been for some time.  We've well and truly missed the boat on this one, and if this continues then I'll bet its not just me or a couple others finding something else to do of a Saturday.

I Never once mentioned "abandoning" anything.
I left for a couple of years after having our arses handed to us by Dumbarton in the playoffs, that was it for me and I'll be honest I really didn't miss it.  My wee boy fancied going to the football last year, and his first game was the Sutton cup game at home.  He's really enjoyed it since and gets on with a lot of the guys round about us and they all know him etc.  If, at any point in the near future he decides he doesn't want to go, then I wont be holding a gun to his head and we'll probably find something else to do.
Its been years of broken promises and unfulfilled potential, and with every year now spent languishing, another 100 or so "diehards" fall away.
This year was a great chance to make a move. Young manager with a point to prove, "experienced" director of football, the celtic cup money from last season and looking like as tight a league as there has been for some time.  We've well and truly missed the boat on this one, and if this continues then I'll bet its not just me or a couple others finding something else to do of a Saturday.

I didn’t say YOU were abandoning the club, but the other fan was. I think all fans have to ask themselves if they are prepared to show up week in, week out until this season comes to a conclusion. Or wait until results improve before returning. Or maybe some fans won’t be back until Murray is gone. Whatever, make up your mind. But if you have supported this club for 65 years then you know that one minute your down and out and the next your winning games or having crazy cup runs. I’ve seen too many weird results to write this whole thing off but yes, right now things look pretty dire. Would hate to see anyone turn their back on the club

3 hours ago, Moon said:

Anyone reading my posts over the last 4 or 5 months will know that the hoodwinking we received last season scunnered me and as such I refused to buy in to the hype this year. I was desperate to be proved wrong, but so far things don't look great.

My view is that Murray hasn't solved the midfield problem that we have had for 3 seasons, despite bringing in loads of new players. Also, he seems to be a defence first type of guy which is fine if we are playing Falkirk or Raith, particularly away from home, but not so much at home to Montrose. When you combine these two things, the football is awful to watch, and doesn't even guarantee us a series of wins to console ourselves with.

In addition to this we were told that with Millar bringing in the players we wouldn't be overpaying for underacheivers like last season. Much was made of Kerr and MacKay, of Roy and Wedderburn. But no-one has delivered to any real standard apart from Gallagher who is being played criminally out of position, and Smith who looks a player but doesn't score as often as Seagal. So, Millar hasn't exactly done the bang up job that we were told he would do/had done.

The reality is, Murray has been given a two year deal so I would be majorly shocked if his job is under threat. I've been more willing to give him time than many, but there is no way I could have justified a two year deal at the point he was given it. As things stand, the board and Millar appear to have really messed up with that decision.

Maybe bringing in Cameron as assistant will help things along, God knows we need something.

And as I've been saying for a couple of weeks now, the obvious big spending by the board does have me feeling twitchy about the bigger picture. I hope Penny Cars and Holemasters have deep pockets as I noticed a few vacant advertising boards that I hadn't really been thinking about previously.

Good post. The ultimate marker of our lack of progress is that we are playing exactly the same style and system as we played last season under Murray, which was effectively a salvage job given terrible recruitment. Murray pointed out many times the issues with the squad last year, and I think most fans were understanding of the fact he was brought in with someone else's poorly built squad and had to get us through the season. However, this was all on the understanding that with a summer behind him and the chance to build his own squad we would have a much better team and have a more exciting style of play. No-one was asking for us to play like Man City, but not playing with 8 defensive players and not playing at a snail's pace are not unreasonable expectations.

What have we got this season? Exactly the same issues as we had last year. For me it is almost entirely down to recruitment. At the start of the season Murray tried a 4-3-3 and a 4-4-2, but once it became obvious we had nothing in the wide areas he has gone back to 3-5-2 because it is the only system that doesn't rely on having wingers. There are numerous other smaller issues that we can all see on a Saturday which are separate issues from the formation, but whoever is responsible for recruitment is the person/people who are going to be the root cause of yet another wasted season.

There is no such thing as a 'core' support or 'diehard' fans, every fan has their breaking point. 20 years ago our core support was 1500 fans, 10 years ago it was 1000. Now it's 500. Season after season of false hope ruined by terrible signing policies is just going to mean this trend continues. I still think there is enough there that we could get 4th place, and then who knows in a play-off. But equally I could also see us falling down the league if we don't fix the real issues with the team that everyone can see.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

After feeling depressed for 48 hours what of the tactics on Saturday.

Looked to me like a 3-5-2 with McCann and McDonald meant to get forward and get in crosses and Hawkshaw as attacking mid in front of a defensive 2 in McKay and Wedderburn. On paper I've not much of a problem with that and it looked like players were being played in their preferred positions, including Gallagher, which must have been a relief to him.

McDonald looks good going forward but needs a memo to cross the ball when you have made it within the 18 yard box zone, and also to track back. The Montrose number 20 (Lyons?)  seemed to get in behind McDonald and in front of Fordyce so go figure out who is responsible. I think McDonald as Fordyce is staying in line with the 3. So is McDonald fit enough for the role? I think he could become a good player but he needs to CROSS THE BALL

McCann also didn't get forward much at all in the first half and in the 2nd was better at taking on players, but then what? Not much.

Meanwhile Gallagher waits and waits for any sort of cross into the box. And as a result of the wide players letting him down, Gal gets hooked in favour of playing through the centre, down the sides of the centre halfs. OK with that as an idea but it did not work - at all.

It was notable that on the highlights most of our 'action' was long throws, which brings me to McKay. Past 2 weeks he has not looked the part in the defensive midfield role. Beaten often in the air and on the ground and looking for a pass sideways or back. At least in the 2nd half Wedderburn started passing moves going forward, which brought Hawkshaw into the game since at last he was getting a ball into feet. I'd give McKay a rest and maybe try Cowan back in there? Harris likes to bomb forward but isn't much use in the defensive sense (which is important if you're only playing 3 at the back). Is Miller injured or just out of favour?

Overall however the midfield options are limited. Also while I am very in favour of a Hawkshaw type player i'm not sure he's going to cut it in that role. Maybe a more defensive 4-4-2 will be used once Thomson is back.

It's grim overall 

It's clear to me the last 3 home games with all due respect to Stranrear Elgin and Montrose should be all out attack score a few goals 3 games later 3 5 2 an aggregate of 7 3 against shows the manager doesn't think we are good enough to play attacking football. The players don't look as they know what's being asked off them. I don't care who we play in this league I don't mind losing a game if we have had a go and lost to a better team and the fact we are only 6 points behind tells you there are no superstar teams in this league. I have been at every game on the couple of occasions he changes to 4 3 3 with more forward thinking players we don't look to bad. Saturday was as bad as it gets said before the fans are drifting away and we wont get them back with 8 defensive minded players in the team. 

I agree with much of Goodwin's post and I assume you meant Kurtis Roberts rather than Harris? What now is clear is that Murray keeps changing the team for some sense of master strategy in L1!  I had been planning to go to all the games I could go to and have a season ticket but this reminds me of the latter days of Black and Boyle. I have been a supporter for 60 years and there have been worse days but I stuck by the club. I have not yet reached the stage of skipping away games and we have done better there this season so far, which means I will probably go to Forfar. What always gets me when I stay away is that I will miss something good but the set up just now is a real worry.

I remember going to that opening cup game at Partick and coming away thinking...if only we had given it a real go and hadn't been so negative. We lost as as expected but who knows what would have happened if we'd been a bit more positive. Almost every game so far has been a carbon copy and the manager must own it...not the director of football or anyone else.

I'm sure that his mantra in football is self preservation in not losing.....who ever heard of a manager who was sacked for not losing games?

We lack quality and confidence up front at the moment with goals scarce from midfield as well. We do not look like we could hurt any team and when we went ahead on Saturday Montrose did not panic because they knew they could out score us...sad days!

11 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

Decided to take in the reserve game down at Cliftonhill tonight. Wasn’t impressed. Didn’t see anything to suggest we’ll be seeing any of the young guys near the 1st team any time soon.

Yet there’s about 10 of them full time, pointless wages that could have brought in 1 if not 2 quality players 

8 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

Decided to take in the reserve game down at Cliftonhill tonight. Wasn’t impressed. Didn’t see anything to suggest we’ll be seeing any of the young guys near the 1st team any time soon.

Is this that the future boys we were duped into being excited when they signed.we must have money to burn , full time reserves ,not good enough to play in our first team , hope I’m wrong but most will be gone when contacts are up ,