The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

No post match analysis yet from the manager.

Will be interesting to find out the Hutton situation - if he's injured or been dropped.  If he has been dropped this could be the first signs of discontent in the dressing room - and we all know what happens when managers lose the dressing room.

I wasn't even at the game today and I'm in a c**t of a mood. I was happy with the appointment of Murray and thought he did a good job last season of solidifying us and steadying the ship, especially considering the players he had to work with. I was looking forward to this season. Given that we were relatively solid last season and his reputation for building a team capable of attacking football at Dumbarton, I thought we might finally have the man to take us forward and get us out this league. 

But my patience is gone. I'm pissed off that we play 5 at the back + two 'defensive' midfielders almost every week (in LEAGUE ONE) but yet we still can't defend. I'm pissed off that Murray still doesn't know his best team despite it being almost November. I'm pissed off at the amount of players that play out of position (especially our top goal scorer either playing out wide or being left on the bench). I'm pissed off that there's no balance to the team at all (especially in midfield) and as a result there's no link up play whatsoever from back-to-middle-to-front. I'm especially pissed off that none of these mistakes are being learned from every single week. I don't consider myself an expert on football but if I, and other fans, can spot these things, why can't the manager or the plethora of backroom staff spot them and/or fix them? I think the club has professionalised the set up off the field in a lot of ways over the close-season. Of course I support this, albeit with concerns about how we're paying for a full-time manager and assistant manager, a first team coach and goalie coach,  a reserve coach, scouts, half a dozen or so medial staff and a playing squad of almost 40 (it's not with our crowds I can tell you that and how long are you going to pump money into such a set-up for with so little to show for it?). At the end of the day, it's pointless if we're going to be bumping around League 1 forever. Get us up in amongst the bigger crowds in the Championship then move forward from there. 

I'm not sure if getting rid of Murray is the sole answer or if there's just a general malaise/curse over the club but I certainly can't put up with much more of this anymore. I work almost every Saturday but have no motivation now to get the time off to watch us play. There's only so much of the same shit (10+ years) you can put up with every week. Sad. 

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

How is smith doing? Scored again today.

One of the few bright sparks in the team. Constantly working, harassing defenders and putting himself about. I've said it before but you can be confident you'll see more of the ball in the opposition's half with Smith playing than if he wasn't. Don't think he's a goalscorer but he does well enough considering the complete lack of service he gets. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Will be interesting to find out the Hutton situation - if he's injured or been dropped.  If he has been dropped this could be the first signs of discontent in the dressing room - and we all know what happens when managers lose the dressing room.

Somebody implied on Facebook that Hutton, Eckersley, Roy and Millar (all missing today) had had a falling out with Murray though others have shot it down. 

5 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Heard Hutton went over on his ankle in training on Thursday....think someone has been inventing stories!!

10 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Maybe he hurt his ankle and swore and SM herd him and banished him to the naughty chair for one week 

Honestly, this situation is really alarming right now. Our performances are obviously unacceptable and and this is for a number of reasons. Firstly, we have made a huge gamble on some of our signings this season. I’m sure Murray was hoping that some of the younger lads would quickly make the step up but that hasn’t happened. Meanwhile the wedderburn signing is baffling and I think Murray saw him mostly as an experience bringer more than anything. Secondly, Murray found himself at least a couple of players short - particularly in the goal scoring dept. I said on here in mid July that we needed a proven goal scorer and believed that Murray was taking his time to get the right man or men. There will be plenty of games this year when we need to score our way out of trouble. This team is incapable of that, we will lose vital points because of it. Thirdly, and honestly I don’t know why, but Murray seems unable to get our tactics right and the formation is always a shambles. This is one of his biggest failings. When a new manager comes in to a relegation bound team the first thing is to get the players back on track and to change things up. You usually see a lift in that team. This manager doesn’t seem to have it clued up 10 weeks in and this is HIS team! Fourthly, and most worryingly, the players aren’t fully responding to Murray and now there is talk of infighting in the dressing room. This is a major problem, especially with so many young players in the squad. The team knows Murray is here for the long haul and as others have pointed out, he is stubborn about changing things up. Doubling down on the same formations every week. It won’t take long before the team gets pissed off and refuses to give 100%. I know there is no excuse for not giving your all, but the frustration is there. The only short term glimmer of hope is a positive influence from Cameron (maybe). He has some good experience in the game and maybe he’ll be a good influence on Murray and the players. There are some issues that can be fixed and ultimately the team need to pull the finger out and find a way to get some results. Murray/Cameron need to help make that happen to keep the points coming in until some changes/additions can be made in January. And obviously this isn’t the team that will make the play offs. I guess I’m writing this as a form of therapy, while I watch on and live in hope that this team will be the one to see promotion it appears we are in for another disappointing season and we aren’t even in November yet. Extremely sad and the fans deserve a run at promotion. Who knows what miracles will come but it will take a miracle

5 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Honestly, this situation is really alarming right now. Our performances are obviously unacceptable and and this is for a number of reasons. Firstly, we have made a huge gamble on some of our signings this season. I’m sure Murray was hoping that some of the younger lads would quickly make the step up but that hasn’t happened. Meanwhile the wedderburn signing is baffling and I think Murray saw him mostly as an experience bringer more than anything. Secondly, Murray found himself at least a couple of players short - particularly in the goal scoring dept. I said on here in mid July that we needed a proven goal scorer and believed that Murray was taking his time to get the right man or men. There will be plenty of games this year when we need to score our way out of trouble. This team is incapable of that, we will lose vital points because of it. Thirdly, and honestly I don’t know why, but Murray seems unable to get our tactics right and the formation is always a shambles. This is one of his biggest failings. When a new manager comes in to a relegation bound team the first thing is to get the players back on track and to change things up. You usually see a lift in that team. This manager doesn’t seem to have it clued up 10 weeks in and this is HIS team! Fourthly, and most worryingly, the players aren’t fully responding to Murray and now there is talk of infighting in the dressing room. This is a major problem, especially with so many young players in the squad. The team knows Murray is here for the long haul and as others have pointed out, he is stubborn about changing things up. Doubling down on the same formations every week. It won’t take long before the team gets pissed off and refuses to give 100%. I know there is no excuse for not giving your all, but the frustration is there. The only short term glimmer of hope is a positive influence from Cameron (maybe). He has some good experience in the game and maybe he’ll be a good influence on Murray and the players. There are some issues that can be fixed and ultimately the team need to pull the finger out and find a way to get some results. Murray/Cameron need to help make that happen to keep the points coming in until some changes/additions can be made in January. And obviously this isn’t the team that will make the play offs. I guess I’m writing this as a form of therapy, while I watch on and live in hope that this team will be the one to see promotion it appears we are in for another disappointing season and we aren’t even in November yet. Extremely sad and the fans deserve a run at promotion. Who knows what miracles will come but it will take a miracle

You make a lot of good points. We don't need a miracle we need an attacking line up with Gallacher through the middle. The last 3 games at home Stranrear Elgin and Montrose and we haven't won any of them with all due respect it's hardly backs against the wall teritory the way we line up so defensive minded you would think its Forfar East Fife or Dumbarton we were playing 

Of course I support this, albeit with concerns about how we're paying for a full-time manager and assistant manager, a first team coach and goalie coach,  a reserve coach, scouts, half a dozen or so medial staff and a playing squad of almost 40 (it's not with our crowds I can tell you that and how long are you going to pump money into such a set-up for with so little to show for it?).

We're following the Hamilton model and shouldn't ask where the money comes from.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:22, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll be honest, growing up and hearing some of the stuff I have at football games over the years kind of "sets ye up" for the real world.  I take my wee boy to games, he's 4 and a half and against Raith Rovers, with 10 minutes to go in the game just piped up with "that's absolute sh*te Airdrie".  I couldn't argue with him.

No , you shouldn't argue with him !  you should be telling him as  his father , not to use such language at his age , totally disgusting from a child's mouth.  :o

Lets put our slant on it.

After going 1-0 down after only three minutes, I feared the worst.
However, the Montrose players never looked phased and stuck to their  game plan. 
We looked slick and sharp going forward and Matty Allen and Dillo cleaned up everything that Airdrie had to offer. In fairness, it wasn't much
This was our easiest game this season.
For a full time / semi full time team, what ever they do during the week clearly didn't work.

A great win for us and a very deserved three points

22 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Lets put our slant on it.

After going 1-0 down after only three minutes, I feared the worst.
However, the Montrose players never looked phased and stuck to their  game plan. 
We looked slick and sharp going forward and Matty Allen and Dillo cleaned up everything that Airdrie had to offer. In fairness, it wasn't much
This was our easiest game this season.
For a full time / semi full time team, what ever they do during the week clearly didn't work.

A great win for us and a very deserved three points

Can't defend the undefendable

Thought and said at the time that Tam  Courts was the man for job hundred times better than Murray ,was said on here he was not experienced enough ,his team would have beat us easy ,better with a hungry successful  top junior manager than what we have ended up with ,manager ,assistant manager ,Director. Of Fooball  ( that's  a joke )what a waste of money ,they have made team on the park a laughing stock ,after continuous years of support no more wasting money  through the gate yesterday was last game I can watch .( unless big changes  are made )