The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

57 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Have we received a clear definition of what kind of language constitutes abuse?

I usually put my head in my hands each time we lose another goal from a corner.

Will the stewards chuck me out for that display of passive aggression.

I think the main thing that has happened is our not required Director of Football has came down from his Ivory Towers and was slightly upset by one of us minions in steerage, who basically told him what time it was.    Murray to be fair gets criticised most games as all previous Airdrie managers have,   I actually thought it was quite tame until the last couple of minutes....

Is all criticism and bad language banned if aimed at referees and opposing players and management.  It is a pretty vague statement,  can you still sit in your same seat, the one you have sat in for 20 years or do you have to move or sign a disclaimer to say you will happy clap....  Please help.....

Was Wedderburn’s brother not caught up in a situation the week before? Depending on what the reason for that was I’d likely be more concerned with it than the manager, DoF and players getting stick for underperforming. We got beat by Elgin after all, it’s not good enough.

Was Wedderburn’s brother not caught up in a situation the week before? Depending on what the reason for that was I’d likely be more concerned with it than the manager, DoF and players getting stick for underperforming. We got beat by Elgin after all, it’s not good enough.
I'm almost certain his girlfriend got defensive after our fans criticised him last season.

Wedderburn was pretty useless. His lack of mobility next to two similar defensive midfielders meant that he was pretty obsolete. Wouldn't surprise me if he's at Kelty Hearts within a year or two.

What an absolutely embarrassing statement that they’ve brought out. Millar is an absolute wean, because people were shouting at him he’s threw the toys right out the pram. Need to make sure no one boos now incase he gets us arrested for being verbally abusive. If he concentrated more on not having a shite first team then strangely enough the “abuse” would stop. Heard Hutton swear from his box a few times aswell, better make sure Millar doesn’t hear that either! All of us have either paid for a season ticket or splash out £17 a week to watch Airdrie but we’re not allowed to voice our opinions? We’re struggling enough to get fans to come but he’s definitely on the right tracks to fucking it that much it will just be the family section left.

Re: “family section”

What an utter joke considering the abuse the fan base has to endure every single game via half hearted performances and incompetent tactics. What are they going to do to to protect families from that kind of abuse, issue blindfolds?

Final nail in the coffin the snowflakes don’t like abuse if the think that’s abuse they should’ve been about in the McColl era waiting for players to leave the stadium because they were playing for us and Barr,Piss poor by the club it was the fans + John Ballantyne &Co that made sure there was an airdrie after the old co went burst

A few seasons ago Kenny black changed dugouts to get away from fans shouting. Then would go on the website and say things like how the fans are not behind the team.  It's getting to be the same way again.  

When will they realise it's what we see on the park that makes fans unhappy.  

In the years under Kenny he pretty much refused to change a thing until the last 10 mins of a game. Now every week team selection is different but tactically it's the same. Long balls forward to a striker who wins maybe 1 or 2 flick ons and the ball comes straight back again. 

I still believe we can challenge at the top of this league but not with the style of (long)football we see every week. 

Also if the players and manager have friends and family in the stand they need to think of the people who's club this really is. Players come and go and we still come year after year.  If players are not playing well that's one thing but with a few (eg big nat) It looks like they are not trying or dont really care. The airdrie team I grew up watching weren't the most talented players but gave everything everyweek. Also at that time if someone made a bad pass or poor shot they got to hear it from the fans.  With some of these players it's the same week after week.  I seen what happened with the fight/handbags with nats family and was sitting a few rows back at peterhead and he did the exact same as he did to cost the goal at east fife.  After a 3 hour drive and all the cost that come with most away games no way I was not letting him know it's not good enough and dont care who hears. Personal abuse is not acceptable but if it's the same everyweek expect people to have their say.

21 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Have we received a clear definition of what kind of language constitutes abuse?

I usually put my head in my hands each time we lose another goal from a corner.

Will the stewards chuck me out for that display of passive aggression.

Of the many things wrong with the club statement, this highlights the biggest issue. What do they mean by abuse? You can't issue a policy and then leave it open to vague interpretation.

The vast majority of the shouts from the stands are frustration at poor play, tactics or perceived lack of effort. It's not personal, they would get those shouts regardless who they were, it is the football that is causing the shout. That kind of thing will never ever be taken out of football, it happens at every ground in every country every weekend. As a footballer when you do something well you get cheered, praised and fans sing your name and treat you like a hero. When you are poor you will get moaned at and told you are rubbish. In football, rightly or wrongly that is the deal, you can't have one and not the other. I think the problem with a lot of players now is that they have come through youth set ups being told they are brilliant from a young age in a very comfortable environment, so neither them or their family are used to them getting a negative response from fans. Then they go into senior lower league football where it is unforgiving and they aren't ready for it.

This is obviously different to personal attacks on people that go beyond football. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I heard something like that at an Airdrie game. If anyone does give someone abuse like that they should just be removed from the ground, there is no need to re-arrange seating of the entire stand. If the club are trying to prevent this kind of abuse then they have gone about it horrendously, completely alienating almost all supporters who feel they are being blamed for not doing anything. If they are trying to stop the shouts like moaning at tactics or criticising a poor corner then that is just ridiculous. It does come across like that is what the club are doing.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Of the many things wrong with the club statement, this highlights the biggest issue. What do they mean by abuse? You can't issue a policy and then leave it open to vague interpretation.

The vast majority of the shouts from the stands are frustration at poor play, tactics or perceived lack of effort. It's not personal, they would get those shouts regardless who they were, it is the football that is causing the shout. That kind of thing will never ever be taken out of football, it happens at every ground in every country every weekend. As a footballer when you do something well you get cheered, praised and fans sing your name and treat you like a hero. When you are poor you will get moaned at and told you are rubbish. In football, rightly or wrongly that is the deal, you can't have one and not the other. I think the problem with a lot of players now is that they have come through youth set ups being told they are brilliant from a young age in a very comfortable environment, so neither them or their family are used to them getting a negative response from fans. Then they go into senior lower league football where it is unforgiving and they aren't ready for it.

This is obviously different to personal attacks on people that go beyond football. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I heard something like that at an Airdrie game. If anyone does give someone abuse like that they should just be removed from the ground, there is no need to re-arrange seating of the entire stand. If the club are trying to prevent this kind of abuse then they have gone about it horrendously, completely alienating almost all supporters who feel they are being blamed for not doing anything. If they are trying to stop the shouts like moaning at tactics or criticising a poor corner then that is just ridiculous. It does come across like that is what the club are doing.

Can't really disagree with much of it to be honest.

I'll be honest, growing up and hearing some of the stuff I have at football games over the years kind of "sets ye up" for the real world.  I take my wee boy to games, he's 4 and a half and against Raith Rovers, with 10 minutes to go in the game just piped up with "that's absolute sh*te Airdrie".  I couldn't argue with him.

Like everything, there's a line, I have absolutely no issue with players getting told they're shit, getting asked how the F*ck they get a game, getting told they're garbage, its part and parcel similarly the guy last month was shouting to get Gallagher off, he was an embarrassment...… but he still cheered when he banged one in the top bag against bohemians.  But when the line gets crossed to personal attacks then its a no go.  I still wouldn't take my kid to sit in another area of the stand though, he's going to hear worse at school at some point.

Football fans are fickle when it comes to players, but they'll always have raw passion when it comes to the club.

16 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Can't really disagree with much of it to be honest.

I'll be honest, growing up and hearing some of the stuff I have at football games over the years kind of "sets ye up" for the real world.  I take my wee boy to games, he's 4 and a half and against Raith Rovers, with 10 minutes to go in the game just piped up with "that's absolute sh*te Airdrie".  I couldn't argue with him.

Like everything, there's a line, I have absolutely no issue with players getting told they're shit, getting asked how the F*ck they get a game, getting told they're garbage, its part and parcel similarly the guy last month was shouting to get Gallagher off, he was an embarrassment...… but he still cheered when he banged one in the top bag against bohemians.  But when the line gets crossed to personal attacks then its a no go.  I still wouldn't take my kid to sit in another area of the stand though, he's going to hear worse at school at some point.

Football fans are fickle when it comes to players, but they'll always have raw passion when it comes to the club.

Couldn't agree more everyone has a right to criticise the bad stuff & praise the good even when its the same player doing both.

Everyone can have a go at the manager even call for him to resign if they are sick and tired of the negative play, the set-up not to lose until we go a goal down then start to attack, the 75 mins of slow build up only to panic in last 15 or when a goal down, the refusal to play our best goalscorer as a centre forward (winger or leave on bench) in favpour of two guys not quite cutting it.

Could you imagine the 'abuse' previous managers would have got if they left Coyle/Ryan out the team or played them as wingers.

I was one who was willing to get behind this team & manager but something is not right & that lays squarely with the managerwho a quarter of the season in still doesn't know what his best team is.

I get that projects like this take time but you also expect to see continued improvement not a steady decline, if I had this sort of pattern of results in my workplace I would be revisiting the model & making changes. The most worrying thing for me in the managers decision process is that certain errors are repeated.

IF our DF or Chairman want the happy clapper 200 crowds then good luck with that but I thought they had bigger ambition than that.

However, if they want to reduce crowds further by critising the loyal PAYING fans instead of addressing the core issues then managed decline continues & shame on them.

Just back from foreign parts and I have just read the club statement. It leaves open the whole definition of "abuse" as said by others and appears to be an over reaction to whatever happened last week in a game I missed. It would now appear that I am in the family section and given the average age around me , we are usually a calm lot, but we can be slow to moan about poor play, and it all depends on what happens on the park. It also seems that we are getting put beside away fans and that can be guaranteed to produce some lively banter. I can remember getting frustrated at Gary Bollan 's late substitutions and he told me to F... Off. I treated it as repartee and did not go rushing to the abuse dept. As to players swearing at fans I have a long tale of David Hutton taking umbrage at me ,reminding him of Arbroath's family friendly rules last season ,with a further barrage of industrial language-I still laughed mind you then and was pleased when he signed for us.  Saturday will be interesting .

35 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Don't see any problem having a Family Section. Indeed there is an argument that the club should have done it before - numerous clubs have either a Famly Section or Family Stand. If that encourages more families and children along then surely that's a good thing? 

Yes it's a good thing but it's the reasoning behind it.  Perfect example is last Saturday.  Fans in all sections were applauding when we made chances from good play and fans from all sections were booing at the end. It seems more like the family sections have been created to shield some people from hearing how frustrated and more pissed off that more of us are getting.  

I take my son every week home and away as my dad did with me.  If I see the team on the park work hard and create chances fans in all sections will react the same. Equally is if it's the same as we have seen week after week fans in all sections will boo. 

Kids should be free entry to all home games.  That's the only way to create future followers of a lower league club. I've said for years the stand behind the goals should be given to local school kids.  If players family members and friends dont want to hear the opinions of people who have been going to airdrie games for years the could go there too and fans who have been buying season tickets or paying every week can sit in the same seats they have done.