The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

13 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

It’s really not going to happen though is it. They gave him a 2 year deal a couple of weeks ago. They ain’t sacking him anytime soon and Murray won’t take the assistant role!!

Try to look on the positive side, the season we won the league under Sandy Stewart, when Kenny Black was appointed assistant it made a huge difference and we kicked on from there. Maybe Cameron will have the same effect...

Aye , hope so ,it’s a mixture of anger and hurt although it will always be Airdrie it’s getting very hard to take , travel and pay to watch .

1 hour ago, airdrie_3 said:

Stuart Millar telling us to “calm down” and “be respectful to Murray” today near the end was embarrassing. We pay week after week and watch the same shite and he has the cheek to try to check us for shouting at Murray?

We didn't need a Director of Football when we had Dalziel and we don't need one now either,  Millar was in charge of recruitment in the close season and has failed miserably,  he nearly bankrupted stranraer previously ,   enough is enough,  disgraceful today again,   Time to go....

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

For every reserve youth players on a minimum full time wage of say £300 we could have a pretty decent striker on our hands. Need to take a page out their book and invest solely in the first time if we seriously want out this league and invest in the first team in the Championship.  

All we have done is dust down the manifesto from the ill rated Wotherspoon\King era throwing money down the drain,  Pro youth football is finished at our level, 

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

It’s really not going to happen though is it. They gave him a 2 year deal a couple of weeks ago. They ain’t sacking him anytime soon and Murray won’t take the assistant role!!

Try to look on the positive side, the season we won the league under Sandy Stewart, when Kenny Black was appointed assistant it made a huge difference and we kicked on from there. Maybe Cameron will have the same effect...

Aye ,but did we not just miss out promotion season before due to a Brechin very late goal ,

Manager said that he wanted to progress in this cup and he was taking it seriously. So he drops Gallagher and plays Roy.  Plays MacKay as defensive midfielder (I am assuming) who wasn't at the races - no pressure, no strong tackles and unable to make a forward pass all game - made no contribution until he walked off the park to be replaced with Nat Wedderburn as a holding midfielder (I assume) ...who wasn't at the races. The couple of minor glimmers of creative offensive play in the first half- Kyle McDonald  down the right flank and Dean Hawkshaw in the middle, disappeared in the 2nd half - as did any leadership/instruction/ anger/enthusiasm from the manager.

Watching this today - we haven't progressed one bit since the manager took over.  I am really not looking forward to facing Montrose next week.

Edited by Roger Thornhill

Stuart Millar telling us to “calm down” and “be respectful to Murray” today near the end was embarrassing. We pay week after week and watch the same shite and he has the cheek to try to check us for shouting at Murray?

Stuart Millar is lucky it ain’t the old Center stand at broomfield and the team would not have got off the park,We pay our gate/Season ticket money,we have a right to voice our opinions on the shite that’s getting dished up if he’s not happy he can f**k off anol along with The clueless manager and his dross of a squad

Callum: "The chance to get to a quarter-final is all the incentive we need."

Honestly, how much pish does the players/manager need to talk. If I was them I wouldn’t be coming out with any semi positive quotes right now. Murray’s job has to keep us ‘in it’ until new year and then bring in 2-3 playmakers that can really push this team through until the playoffs. Even then I’m skeptical. This has to be a 2 year plan for Murray. Right now we are well off the pace and don’t look like Championship material at all

12 hours ago, airdrie_3 said:

By asking for respect for Murray, Millar is asking for respect for himself because he knows recruitment has been really poor and that he is largely to blame. We are no better than last year in terms of the squad. We have absolutely no creativity or width whatsoever. Other than the injured Thomson there isn't a single attacking wide player in the squad. I know we don't have unlimited funds but there is no excuse for having such an unbalanced squad when we had so long to prepare for it, and also for frittering away so much of the wage bill on guys who are basically full time reserves and are never going to contribute to the first team.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Same pish every week from Murray
“I thought we were the dominant side” or “I thought we started so slow but as the game progressed we were the better side” why not do a simple thing play your goals scorers get them in the box and create chances and not launch long balls all the time and leave them isolated it’s simple how can this roaster not see it

I know we've got a few major problems in the team but I really don't get the Gallagher & Smith situation.  

I know Smith is a fans favourite and in some fans eyes can't do any wrong but for me he is not a centre forward. His shooting isn't up to scratch. He misses too many chances. That one yesterday in the second half when he was put through with a great pass (by Robert's I think?) Should have been buried.  Hes constantly missing chances like that. Where he is good is running at full backs and stretching the defence so play him out wide. 

Gallagher on the other hand is a finisher. He is a penalty box striker and we've got him out wide. Yesterday there were a number of good balls put into the box, especially in the 2nd half when Hawkshaw and Eckersly combined on the left hand side. We were crying out for someone like Gallagher to finish one of them. 

I really don't get why Murray doesn't swap them around. 

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

I know we've got a few major problems in the team but I really don't get the Gallagher & Smith situation.  

I know Smith is a fans favourite and in some fans eyes can't do any wrong but for me he is not a centre forward. His shooting isn't up to scratch. He misses too many chances. That one yesterday in the second half when he was put through with a great pass (by Robert's I think?) Should have been buried.  Hes constantly missing chances like that. Where he is good is running at full backs and stretching the defence so play him out wide. 

Gallagher on the other hand is a finisher. He is a penalty box striker and we've got him out wide. Yesterday there were a number of good balls put into the box, especially in the 2nd half when Hawkshaw and Eckersly combined on the left hand side. We were crying out for someone like Gallagher to finish one of them. 

I really don't get why Murray doesn't swap them around. 

He simply doesn't know ,got to be the worst tactical manager that is in football ,he doesn't see or want to see that you need strikers ,Gallagher is our main striker please read this Mr Murray not Roy  not Smith they will never be main strikers don't think you have one in our future squad ,best to get round the junior grounds because they are out there ,what a waste of money we could have just kept the players we had they were no worse ,just a lot of players played out of position by clueless manager .

Callum: "The chance to get to a quarter-final is all the incentive we need."

Honestly, how much pish does the players/manager need to talk. If I was them I wouldn’t be coming out with any semi positive quotes right now. Murray’s job has to keep us ‘in it’ until new year and then bring in 2-3 playmakers that can really push this team through until the playoffs. Even then I’m skeptical. This has to be a 2 year plan for Murray. Right now we are well off the pace and don’t look like Championship material at all

We have no width no wingers with Thomson injury and ORielly away back to St Johnstone.We should take a leaf out other teams that have been Promoted like Livingston big strong physical teams none of this crap playing out from the back when the players are not good enough and slow the game down

37 minutes ago, Diamond legend said:

We have no width no wingers with Thomson injury and ORielly away back to St Johnstone.We should take a leaf out other teams that have been Promoted like Livingston big strong physical teams none of this crap playing out from the back when the players are not good enough and slow the game down

Had enough chances to win3games  panic sets in about 20 yards out then we strike it and goes past post or easy save for keeper ,you are right we  need physical player to compete in this league .

9 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

“I thought we started so slow but as the game progressed we were the better side”

That's the problem right there. In home games we need to get at teams early. We start of at snails pace. We don't press the opposition enough. It takes them too long to get going. And then panic stations in the 2nd half throwing players forward when we need a goal. 

I have been at every game this year as all was full of hope for the new season however 10 minutes into the Forfar game my bubble was burst this one dimension long diagonal ball out wide didn't work then and yet the manager continues to drag the front players wide. Our midfield never controls any game we get out fought out tackled. We can't defend set plays we can't score from ours and only when we are losing with 20 minutes to go he changes the system and actually play the ball on the ground only then do we create chances. My fellow fans have moaned complained and drank through promotions cup finals and even our European adventure with a smile and the knowledge out team may not be the most talented but we would fight for every ball. Been going through the bad years and this is as bad as it gets and as the song says the only way is up lol

We didn't need a Director of Football when we had Dalziel and we don't need one now either,  Millar was in charge of recruitment in the close season and has failed miserably,  he nearly bankrupted stranraer previously ,   enough is enough,  disgraceful today again,   Time to go....

In defence of Millar, he was responding to someone screaming at him this is rubbish, get him [Murray] sacked. He should just have walked back into the Directors box, there was nothing he could have said at that point which would have calmed things and saying “be respectful” only antagonised a fan who was already (understandably) fuming.

On recruitment, when I interviewed Millar, the suggestion was that no player would be brought in that Murray didn’t want but Millar would be able to assist by giving a view on targets that Murray may not have seen while in Norway. No idea if that’s what happened in practice. At Stranraer, my understanding is that when the Shit hit the fan Millar was brought back in to move guys on for cash and help get players in which they did as a club very well.

I agree 100% with you on what you’ve expressed in terms of criticism of the recruitment and what you’ve said earlier in terms of the bloated squad and reserve team. I’m just not clear who’s decision it was to run those squads.

Completely disheartened by yesterday. A miserable performance, a headache from the PA system being set at torture volume level, zero positives to take away and the listening to a manager who though we dominated the game.

We’re in the mix in the league, but I’m not sure any of us has confidence that we can do anything this season.

Listen, I'm sure SM is a decent guy but there is no defending him arguing with a fan who was stating his opinion on someone else. If he was calling SM an arsehole or something to his face then it would have been fair enough. 

The recruitment this season for the (alleged) system that we play has been piss poor and I don't care if it was SM or IM. After the money wasted in the last 2 years I can't believe we are in this position again. It's shocking and completely undefendable. And I know that no-one took me up on my post from the other day, but the sheer amount of money being spent is scaring me.

whilst we're speaking about our system, it's shite. Stenny were a much better watch on the telly the other night.

IM has been given a two year deal and whilst I have generally defended him I didn't think he was worth a new deal at this point. I'd have waited to see if we ever kicked on. Who made that decision? PH? SM? Crazy stuff.

and what's this about SM almost bankrupting Stranraer? I've no idea if it's even remotely true (I see Capital Diamond has refuted it a bit) but how about speaking up whilst we're doing the footballing equivalent of Supermarket Sweep so that the fans can have an opportunity to stop the club shooting itself in the foot. again.

It's all going to end in fucking tears again and I'm sick to the back teeth of it.

and to make matters worse, Scotland are playing tonight.

5 hours ago, Moon said:

Listen, I'm sure SM is a decent guy but there is no defending him arguing with a fan who was stating his opinion on someone else. If he was calling SM an arsehole or something to his face then it would have been fair enough. 

The recruitment this season for the (alleged) system that we play has been piss poor and I don't care if it was SM or IM. After the money wasted in the last 2 years I can't believe we are in this position again. It's shocking and completely undefendable. And I know that no-one took me up on my post from the other day, but the sheer amount of money being spent is scaring me.

whilst we're speaking about our system, it's shite. Stenny were a much better watch on the telly the other night.

IM has been given a two year deal and whilst I have generally defended him I didn't think he was worth a new deal at this point. I'd have waited to see if we ever kicked on. Who made that decision? PH? SM? Crazy stuff.

and what's this about SM almost bankrupting Stranraer? I've no idea if it's even remotely true (I see Capital Diamond has refuted it a bit) but how about speaking up whilst we're doing the footballing equivalent of Supermarket Sweep so that the fans can have an opportunity to stop the club shooting itself in the foot. again.

It's all going to end in fucking tears again and I'm sick to the back teeth of it.

and to make matters worse, Scotland are playing tonight.

Stuart Millar was a asset to Stranraer, part of a  management team who have kept us punching above our weight.

As i'm on holiday ATM, I wasn't at the game yesterday, but having watched the highlights, Airdrie had most of the possession, but couldn't finish the chances created. Loads of shots on goal, which were very poor and lacked pace and accuracy and as has been mentioned by previous posters, the team is very unsettled and lacked leadership.

I think now is as good a time as any to start judging the manager and the team.  I always said I'd wait until a quarter of the way through the season before forming a proper informed decision on what I'd seen.

I REALLY want Murray to succeed, every other club at some point seems to strike it lucky with a "young" hungry manager with a point to prove eg Mixu at Cowden, Hartley at Alloa, Goodwin at Alloa, Hopkins at Livi and Murray at Dumbarton just to name a few recently.  We're long overdue a slice of luck in this department, and I thought this could have been the one that got us a wee glimmer of hope.

When IM came in, he solidified a leaky defence, Crighton who looked like he had never kicked a ball under Findlay, completely transformed and he plugged the gaps to get us over the line and just miss out on the playoffs.  I always thought after the bad start/recruitment of last year the playoffs would have been miles away anyway but that AGAIN should have been a foundation to build on.  We know IM can organise a defence, but its becoming apparently clear he cant plan an attack, which is the polar opposite from his Dumbarton days Im led to believe.

Recruitment this time has been (IMO) as bizarre as last time.  Guys being signed on full time deals with little chance of making a first team appearance, 1 recognised goal scorer (being played out wide) 1 hardworking striker who will do the donkey work for a partner, playing up front himself.  Signings like Wedderburn & Roy who offer absolutely zero (again IMO). I will concede he's had a slight bit of bad luck with the boy O'Reilly and Thomson and injuries as they looked like proper wingers, but the fact remains that without them, there is NO naturally wide replacements, another thing that should have been addressed maybe rather than signing another 3 central midfielders for the reserves.

The thing that gets me though, is we can turn in performances like the first half of the Hamilton cup game, where that was as good a half of football from an Airdrie team in a long time to the full 90 in the Raith game which was eyebleedingly bad.

Murray needs to quickly settle with an XI and stick with it, its getting ridiculous now with all this chopping and changing.