The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Maybe its just me, but I really couldn't give a toss who plays what team in this competition.

If Bohemians want to accept an invite to play in this tournament (and no-ones held a gun to their head btw) and they want to send over an under strength team, that's totally up to them. We've benefitted from their decision by winning the game, that's the long and short of it.

I don't mind the "foreign" teams in it if I'm honest, its a break from the norm and a chance for Murray to try out new things (McKay and Macdonald playing, Roy getting games)

I'd be furious if the likes of Crighton or Gallagher got crocked, but we progress unharmed and a wee chance of a tasty away day. Alright it might not be financially beneficial for the club, but we don't get days to Wrexham or Solihull very often and how many chances will I have to take the wee man to another country to watch Airdrie?

We've moaned like f**k to get the colts in the bin, but it has been (and will be) ignored. I'll never go and watch Airdrie play a colt team, but pass up the chance to travel away and visit a stadium im never likely to visit again, never.

5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Explain it to me so

One definition:

"The manifestation of the ethics and values which promote community confidence in sports, including fair and honest performances and outcomes, unaffected by illegitimate enhancements or external interests".

1 minute ago, stuartcraig said:

One definition:

"The manifestation of the ethics and values which promote community confidence in sports, including fair and honest performances and outcomes, unaffected by illegitimate enhancements or external interests".

What external interests are they? 

7 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Maybe its just me, but I really couldn't give a toss who plays what team in this competition.

If Bohemians want to accept an invite to play in this tournament (and no-ones held a gun to their head btw) and they want to send over an under strength team, that's totally up to them. We've benefitted from their decision by winning the game, that's the long and short of it.

I don't mind the "foreign" teams in it if I'm honest, its a break from the norm and a chance for Murray to try out new things (McKay and Macdonald playing, Roy getting games)

I'd be furious if the likes of Crighton or Gallagher got crocked, but we progress unharmed and a wee chance of a tasty away day. Alright it might not be financially beneficial for the club, but we don't get days to Wrexham or Solihull very often and how many chances will I have to take the wee man to another country to watch Airdrie?

We've moaned like f**k to get the colts in the bin, but it has been (and will be) ignored. I'll never go and watch Airdrie play a colt team, but pass up the chance to travel away and visit a stadium im never likely to visit again, never.

And the same goes for me if any of our first team got injured in this game and it effected our European qualification chances and FAI cup run.  Our manger knows this and why he played our youngsters. Any chance you can explain this to Stuart, he doesnt seem to get it.

Edited by Bohemian

46 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Any evidence for that?

Similarly, if it is the case that there was insufficient interest in the competition for it to remain commercially viable, how was that situation improved by inviting PL colt teams - an act more likely to turn supporters away.

This has been covered extensively by Skyline Drifter in other threads. The tournament was making a loss but was being subsidised by the SFL in the final (pre-Rangers) years of that organisation, and the merged SPFL was no longer willing to do the same.

The new format attracted more money in the shape of an increased TV deal and sponsorship which was aimed at making the competition self-sufficient. It is not clear whether it is actually doing so, but if it isn't then it seems more likely that it'll be scrapped completely rather than returning to the previous unprofitable format.

3 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

And the same goes for me if any of our first team got injured in this game and it effected our European qualification chances and FAI cup run.  Our manger knows this and why he played our youngsters. Any chance you can explain this to Stuart, he doesnt seem to get it.

I understand why clubs field weakened  teams in some competitions (beyond the normal requirement to rest players) - they're taking a commercial decision.  Kinda kills the point of the competition though if every team isn't competing to the best of its ability.

3 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

I understand why clubs field weakened  teams in some competitions (beyond the normal requirement to rest players) - they're taking a commercial decision.  Kinda kills the point of the competition though if every team isn't competing to the best of its ability.

Going around in circles here mate, we fielded or reserves for a very valid reason. We have way more important games.. 

7 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Stuarts a smart guy, he's taken a different view point on it, which is fine, its his opinion.

I'm only expressing my own opinions that I don't mind the tournament (Colts aside) and had some great days out watching Airdrie winning the final. The 2-2 game at McDairmid park with Ross County when we won on penalties, the Spanish armada doing over Livi in the sunshine.

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Stuarts a smart guy, he's taken a different view point on it, which is fine, its his opinion.

I'm only expressing my own opinions that I don't mind the tournament (Colts aside) and had some great days out watching Airdrie winning the final. The 2-2 game at McDairmid park with Ross County when we won on penalties, the Spanish armada doing over Livi in the sunshine.

I'm sure he is so why is he questioning a clubs sporting integrity when it's clear they have much bigger priorities.. anyway who gives an eff. It's done for another year. Ha

14 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

so why is he questioning a clubs sporting integrity when it's clear they have much bigger priorities

Because, in my (as Ammo points out) opinion, clubs/leagues shouldn't agree to participate in competitions that they can't give their full commitment to because they have "bigger priorities".

21 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Because, in my (as Ammo points out) opinion, clubs/leagues shouldn't agree to participate in competitions that they can't give their full commitment to because they have "bigger priorities".

Again you are confusing integrity with priority. I'm sure when we entered a squad for this we probably had winning it in mind, but when when this fixture came around unfortunately we have way bigger priorities. We entered a squad of players, they played, the same as every club in every competition worldwide.. anyway its an opinion. I wont lose any sleep over it nor will Bohs Id imagine ha

The reason we enter on invite and not Shamrock Rovers, Dundalk and Cork City is we are not expected to be challenging for anything this time of the year.  

Edited by Bohemian

37 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Out of interest, how many of those who played on Saturday have featured with any regularity in your 1st team?

Ward, Lyons, Swan and Wade Slater would be on our bench most games with the occasional start. They wouldn't make our strongest first eleven but do because the way our fixtures are played. 3 games most weeks.. summer football me bollix ha

Edited by Bohemian

At the risk of interrupting the thread with my complete lack of interest in Bohemians...

Thoughts on Dumbarton game on Saturday? For me it has to be a good performance and a win and we start putting the inconsistency behind us. Going for 2-1 Airdrie that will come back to haunt me... will be my first game since Clyde

9 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

At the risk of interrupting the thread with my complete lack of interest in Bohemians...

Thoughts on Dumbarton game on Saturday? For me it has to be a good performance and a win and we start putting the inconsistency behind us. Going for 2-1 Airdrie that will come back to haunt me... will be my first game since Clyde

Dumbarton 2-0 win