The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Poor Calum. That's exactly what he had to put up with us.
Like I said when you signed him, he is awkward and ungainly, but stick him upfront for a run of games and he'll score goals. The fact he works himself into the ground and never hides are just additional positives.
Roy on the other hand is a ghost.
He never hides, he's creating chances for himself and he's the closest thing to a goalscorer we have.
Dale Carrick will chase everything down and work his socks off for the team but he's never going to be a 10+ goal striker.
Ally Roy's a local lad and I feel that's clouding folks judgement, especially the "older gents" I referred to that was apoplectic Roy was coming off before Gallagher.
See if he's scoring a goal or 2 most games, I couldn't give a f*ck if he falls over his own feet for 85 minutes.
[emoji38]
It's amazing that he needs to go through this at every club. I'm still incredibly sad he's not with us.
I'm delighted he's with us.
There's something honest about his game, he's a worker and he looks like he's trying all the time.

32 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

He never hides, he's creating chances for himself and he's the closest thing to a goalscorer we have.
Dale Carrick will chase everything down and work his socks off for the team but he's never going to be a 10+ goal striker.
Ally Roy's a local lad and I feel that's clouding folks judgement, especially the "older gents" I referred to that was apoplectic Roy was coming off before Gallagher.
See if he's scoring a goal or 2 most games, I couldn't give a f*ck if he falls over his own feet for 85 minutes.I'm delighted he's with us.
There's something honest about his game, he's a worker and he looks like he's trying all the time.

Gallagher and Smith up front is a good pairing at this level, thought that the first time I saw them play so was frustrating that it took a while to play them together. They are total opposites and therefore will test defenses and make us harder to play against. Between the two of them there is a mix of pace and physicality, they both work hard and if they get given half decent service will score goals. They are also decent at making the most of non-existent service. Not saying they are world beaters but I've watched enough of this level to know they will be pretty effective. If we could just improve the service from midfield it would make all the difference.

21 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

If you played your second team that’s not being sporting , after your last year outcome , you would be better not to be in it if it means that little to your club, 

You lot aren't half a bitter bunch of c***s😂 imagine our reserve team had of beat you on your own patch...  We were invited, Handy few quid and a chance for our underage players to get experience..

Our league is drawing to an end, we are third and if we finish third that's European football, absolutely massive financially for us. We are in the quarters of the cup, neutral venue against non league opposition, so probably the semis, again financially very rewarding... Do you honestly think we are gonna risk first team players for this diddy farce of a comp.. 

Unlike my bohemian supporting mate on here I hope you get horsed in the next round, union jack waving fannies..

2 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

You lot aren't half a bitter bunch of c***s😂 imagine our reserve team had of beat you on your own patch...  We were invited, Handy few quid and a chance for our underage players to get experience..

Our league is drawing to an end, we are third and if we finish third that's European football, absolutely massive financially for us. We are in the quarters of the cup, neutral venue against non league opposition, so probably the semis, again financially very rewarding... Do you honestly think we are gonna risk first team players for this diddy farce of a comp.. 

Unlike my bohemian supporting mate on here I hope you get horsed in the next round, union jack waving fannies..

Last bunch of foreigners to play a reserve team in a tournament against Airdrie had their sponsorship withdrawn!

14 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Money is already in the bank mate

It's not about money in the bank ,it's hard enough to get punters through the gates to watch football ,just expect teams to put out their best team ,however it could have been worse it could have been at your  ground and postponed  with 5 min to kickoff.

8 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

It's not about money in the bank ,it's hard enough to get punters through the gates to watch football ,just expect teams to put out their best team ,however it could have been worse it could have been at your  ground and postponed  with 5 min to kickoff.

Football is all about money these days Jack unfortunately and we have have no problem getting punters though the gates to watch us. I've already explained why we put our wee team out.  As for the postponement, these things happen when you have a grass pitch, officials appointed by your associations fault😉 

Edited by Bohemian

36 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Our league is drawing to an end, we are third and if we finish third that's European football, absolutely massive financially for us. We are in the quarters of the cup, neutral venue against non league opposition, so probably the semis, again financially very rewarding... Do you honestly think we are gonna risk first team players for this diddy farce of a comp.

Thanks for explaining why the current format needs to change in order to restore the sporting integrity of the competition.

It might only be a shitey, wee, diddy cup but it's our shitey, wee, diddy cup, and we'd rather have winning it mean something.

9 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Thanks for explaining why the current format needs to change in order to restore the sporting integrity of the competition.

It might only be a shitey, wee, diddy cup but it's our shitey, wee, diddy cup, and we'd rather have winning it mean something.

But its not your wee shitey diddy cup is it mate.. if you don't want Johnny foreigner in it stop inviting them, simple really..  Not sure that really needed explaining..

7 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

But its not your wee shitey diddy cup is it mate.. if you don't want Johnny foreigner in it stop inviting them, simple really..  Not sure that really needed explaining..

Aye, because the supporters of part time clubs are able to make that decision. 

17 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

But its not your wee shitey diddy cup is it mate..

That depends on your viewpoint, mate.

For 25 or its 29 years it was only open to teams who actually gave a toss about winning.

I'm sure you'd be similarly thrilled if the FAI opened their domestic cup competition to English teams.

17 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

if you don't want Johnny foreigner in it stop inviting them, simple really..  Not sure that really needed explaining..

As if Scottish supporters are consulted when the league decides to invite Scottish PL colt teams & Welsh, N. Irish & Irish teams.  It's not as if it's our money that's sustained the competition since it started in 1990.

Edited by stuartcraig

2 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

That depends on your viewpoint, mate.

For 25 or it's 29 years it was only open to teams who actually gave a toss about winning.

I'm sure you'd be similarly thrilled if the FAI opened their domestic cup competition to English teams.

As if Scottish supporters are consulted when the league decides to invite Scottish colt teams & Welsh, N. Irish, Irish teams.  It's not as if it's our money that's sustained the competition since it started in 1990.

Yes but for the last four years now it's a Cup competition open to five different countries four of which as you say probably couldn't give a f**k about it. We might if our league circumstances were different. Unlike the other four countries we play summer football. 

As for the FAI inviting foreign teams into our cup competition it simply wouldn't happen. Not that the people that run our association are any more competent than their Scottish counterparts the fans wouldn't stand for it. Saying that Ireland don't have an equivalent competition to this. 

24 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

As if Scottish supporters are consulted when the league decides to invite Scottish PL colt teams & Welsh, N. Irish & Irish teams.  It's not as if it's our money that's sustained the competition since it started in 1990.

It wasn't sustaining the competition, that was the whole reason why the format had to change in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

As for the FAI inviting foreign teams into our cup competition it simply wouldn't happen. Not that the people that run our association are any more competent than their Scottish counterparts the fans wouldn't stand for it. Saying that Ireland don't have an equivalent competition to this. 

So you can empathise with the (SPFL T2 - 4, LL & HL) Scottish fans who are similarly peeved then?

2 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

So you can empathise with the (SPFL T2 - 4, LL & HL) Scottish fans who are similarly peeved then?

In a way yes but my point of posting in the first place was you lot having a go at Bohs for fielding a second string team at best. It's not really our problem mate. 

Just now, craigkillie said:

It wasn't sustaining the competition, that was the whole reason why the format had to change in the first place.

Any evidence for that?

Similarly, if it is the case that there was insufficient interest in the competition for it to remain commercially viable, how was that situation improved by inviting PL colt teams - an act more likely to turn supporters away.

5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

In a way yes but my point of posting in the first place was you lot having a go at Bohs for fielding a second string team at best. It's not really our problem mate. 

Whatever the mitigating circumstances, your team still made a choice.  Maybe you need to have a word with your league for putting your team in a situation where they feel obliged to compromise their sporting integrity.

8 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Whatever the mitigating circumstances, your team still made a choice.  Maybe you need to have a word with your league for putting your team in a situation where they feel obliged to compromise their sporting integrity.

We made a choice not to play our first team because we have far more important games to play for with far bigger rewards. Our sporting integrity was not comprised and will not be compromised for this shambles of a competition.

Edit: in fact I'd say it would be compromised if we fielded first team players in this competition that effected our performance in our national competitions..  HTH

Edited by Bohemian

8 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

We made a choice not to play our first team because we have far more important games to play for with far bigger rewards. Our sporting integrity was not comprised and will not be compromised for this shambles of a competition.

Edit: in fact I'd say it would be compromised if we fielded first team players in this competition that effected our performance in our national competitions..  HTH

I'm not sure the phrase "sporting integrity" means what you think it means.