The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Happy with the result today; could easily have been against us.

A lot happened on our left where Thomson was playing wing back. Good going forward and tries defending;but caught out a few times. As in the first goal.

Gallacher's second strike was a peach.

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

How's Smith been doing, seen he's had a couple of goals, how's his all around game been? 

I really rate him. He's constantly working, harrying defenders, making a nuisance of himself and, generally, you can be confident you'll see more of the ball in and around the opposition's box when he's on the park than when he's not. Don't think he's necessarily a goalscorer but he's got 3 already and took his goal well today so hopefully he can continue to add to that part of his game. 

Bit scrappy at times today, and could have gone either way, but overall I think it was a deserved win. We're still lacking in terms of our final ball and our decision-making but we played some nice stuff going forward at times today and looked dangerous on the counter. All three goals were lovely too. The Bohemians goals were soft (that's a second short corner we've been caught out by this season) and Thompson didn't look comfortable out at left-wing back. In fairness, I'm sure Eckersley and/or McCann will be back in next week. 

Thought Carrick's work-rate was excellent throughout. Lots of harrying defenders and he was able to win the ball back a few times. Gallagher is by far our best finisher. He's a bit unsightly at times but out of all out forwards he's really the only one I have any confidence in that they'll score. Having said that Smith's goal was very well taken and much deserved. Roy has some nice touches here and there, like for today's first goal, but I'm not convinced by him so far. Anyone who thought he should have stayed on ahead of Gallagher was just being silly. 

Millar and McKay in the midfield is a better combination than Millar and Wedderburn but I'm still not sure we need ostensibly two defensive types in there. As someone else said I'd rather have Roberts (or Hawkshaw) in there to provide a bit of pace and creativity.

Great to see Scott Gallacher back in goals. He's had a hell of a time of it so fair play to him for getting back to fitness and to the club for sticking by him. 

Good win overall. Wasn't that impressed by Bohemians (full strength team or not) but they could have pinched it. 

Hopefully somewhere 'exotic' in the next round. 

5 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I fair enjoyed that 2nd half.
Once this team can play a full 90 minutes I'm confident someone will concede a few to us.
Gallaghers as close to a goal scoring striker we have, Callum Smith is one of the hardest working players I've seen, he gives 100% every time and that goal from chasing down today was the least he deserved, hope he gets a few more.

I sit just in line with the 18yard line at the Craigneuk end, and the older boys who sit at the back of that section gave Gallagher it stinking the full second half. He's never going to be easy on the eye especially with that running style but if he gets chances he'll get shots away and inevitably score goals.
They went absolutely mental when the anonymous Roy was subbed and not Gallagher.
Cue "SeaGal" nutmegging the boy on the far touchline, cutting inside another 2 players and ripping one into the top bin, the definition of "you love to see it".
A better second half all in and now we hope for a decent away day.

I sat in that area at the Queens Park game earlier in the season and had the misfortune of having to listen to probably one of that same group who moaned from the minute the game kicked off. Crighton was the one who got most abuse as by his own admission he was the only name he knew!! Looks like he's now learned the other players names! I took great delight when he got up and left as soon as we conceded the 2nd goal that night and he ended up missing our equaliser and 26 pens!

I thought Bohemians played some nice stuff at times. Tried to take it down and pass it as opposed to our thump it long approach. Agree with Ammo that Roy was anonymous and that’s me being kind. He wants to watch Smith in particular his work rate and try to replicate it. The midfield is too slow and I think Roberts may have helped in there today with a wee bit more direct running from midfield. Bit unfair on Thompson asking him to defend as a wing back and the two goals conceded were down that side. It was right that Eckersley was brought on to shore up that side. Hey ho it’s a victory and still a lot of improvement required. Whens the draw for the next round?

I agree with you about Roy a terrible first touch and I would prefer Roberts in midfield in place of Mckay although he is better than Wedderburn I thought Crighton and Kerr were outstanding today.

20 minutes ago, Diamond legend said:

I agree with you about Roy a terrible first touch and I would prefer Roberts in midfield in place of Mckay although he is better than Wedderburn I thought Crighton and Kerr were outstanding today.

Roy seems a busted flush, head seems all over the place on the park.. Struggled badly to do the basics was alw ays  a high risk signing.....  Agree about Kerr and Crighton,  Kerr especially is attacking the ball more now which he didn't do at the start of the season...  Up front Smith and Seagal are working hard and getting there rewards now.    Big problem is a very onepaced safety first centre midfield pairing,   I personally think big nat and Cowan could be out best pairing,  Millar and McKay battle away with no real creativity,  The lad Reilly on loan from Accies is highly rated but never seen him yet.     Big decision for Murray next week does he start Eckersley or young McCann,  I personally don't think we can play both in the same team.

As one of the old guys at the Petersburn end, we all got behind Gallagher and whilst I occasionally moan about a few players I will avoid  the Craigneuk end. Had we gone in leading 1-0 at half time there would have been less moans but falling asleep at a short corner provoked the usual sense of complaint. I did quite enjoy some of the clever passing by Bohemians ( liked their no 10 but we did stand off him) but they did not look like taking their chances. Gallagher's first was really good ( and Roy at last produced a move) but his second was a cracker and should have settled the match.  Their second goal was a bit like the 2nd we lost to East Fife in coming down the right as two guys failed to stop the attacker. We did benefit from their error and Smith being alert to get the third. When the Ref gave that silly free kick decision at the end I did fear an equaliser but it was cleared. All in all a good performance and now back to L1's battle. Looks like 3-4-1-2 but I think Thomson /Roy will drop out whilst the rest will start again as McCann and Smith start. 4 draws last season with the Sons and who would bet against a 5th in a row,

1 hour ago, Bohemian FC said:

Good luck in the next round lads and with the rest of the season, not sure where some of the hate is coming from, all in all enjoyable experience but probably would have given you more of a game if our first team played. Will keep an eye out for your result in the next round 👍

If you played your second team that’s not being sporting , after your last year outcome , you would be better not to be in it if it means that little to your club, 

Roy seems a busted flush, head seems all over the place on the park.. Struggled badly to do the basics was alw ays  a high risk signing.....  Agree about Kerr and Crighton,  Kerr especially is attacking the ball more now which he didn't do at the start of the season...  Up front Smith and Seagal are working hard and getting there rewards now.    Big problem is a very onepaced safety first centre midfield pairing,   I personally think big nat and Cowan could be out best pairing,  Millar and McKay battle away with no real creativity,  The lad Reilly on loan from Accies is highly rated but never seen him yet.     Big decision for Murray next week does he start Eckersley or young McCann,  I personally don't think we can play both in the same team.

Big Nat is the worst midfielder we have we have not lost a game without him.Mckay has not let us down I would prefer Roberts for his aggression and is a better attacking option.I don't know anything about Reilly and think he played against us I think we could play both Eckersley and McCann on left side of midfield.

1 hour ago, Diamond legend said:

Big Nat is the worst midfielder we have we have not lost a game without him.Mckay has not let us down I would prefer Roberts for his aggression and is a better attacking option.I don't know anything about Reilly and think he played against us I think we could play both Eckersley and McCann on left side of midfield.

Who would you drop across defence and midfield to fit both Eckersley and Mccann 

Edited by Stevo1968
Missed out a word

It’s good to be in the draw for next round , good job their defence is as bad as ours  , players out of position most of the time , good goals from Gallagher saved us , how much are we crying out for poaching striker ,it’s every week but doesn’t seem to concern manager .middle of the league display yesterday if that , 

On 07/09/2019 at 15:42, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Once this team can play a full 90 minutes I'm confident someone will concede a few to us.
Gallaghers as close to a goal scoring striker we have, Callum Smith is one of the hardest working players I've seen, he gives 100% every time and that goal from chasing down today was the least he deserved, hope he gets a few more.

I sit just in line with the 18yard line at the Craigneuk end, and the older boys who sit at the back of that section gave Gallagher it stinking the full second half. He's never going to be easy on the eye especially with that running style but if he gets chances he'll get shots away and inevitably score goals.
They went absolutely mental when the anonymous Roy was subbed and not Gallagher.
Cue "SeaGal" nutmegging the boy on the far touchline, cutting inside another 2 players and ripping one into the top bin, the definition of "you love to see it".

This the same old boy that gives Crichton stick all game ? 

This the same old boy that gives Crichton stick all game ? 

Think it might be.

McDonald got it tight all last year as well.

It wasn't just the odd "f*ck sake gallagher" which is fine if someone mistimes it or mis controls a ball, he was actually shouting "you're an embarrassment Gallagher".

Then for the Bohs second goal.....

" usual Crighton, slowest man on the park".

Big Sean is arguably THE most improved performer since Murray came in, hard to believe this is the same guy who was falling over his own feet under Findlay. Credit where its due, the big mans exactly what you need at centre half at this level.

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Think it might be.

McDonald got it tight all last year as well.

It wasn't just the odd "f*ck sake gallagher" which is fine if someone mistimes it or mis controls a ball, he was actually shouting "you're an embarrassment Gallagher".

Then for the Bohs second goal.....

" usual Crighton, slowest man on the park".

Big Sean is arguably THE most improved performer since Murray came in, hard to believe this is the same guy who was falling over his own feet under Findlay. Credit where its due, the big mans exactly what you need at centre half at this level.

Agreed  and its deffo the same boy, ive made a point of shouting for Crichton even when he hasnt done anything just to annoy the boy. He shouted "crichton turned too easy" for BOHOs second goal wasnt even him. utter w*nk 

On 7 September 2019 at 18:58, diamondman said:

Happy with the result today; could easily have been against us.

A lot happened on our left where Thomson was playing wing back. Good going forward and tries defending;but caught out a few times. As in the first goal.

Gallacher's second strike was a peach.

Another example of playing a player out of position ,Thomson is just not a defender ,

On 07/09/2019 at 15:42, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

:lol:

It's amazing that he needs to go through this at every club. I'm still incredibly sad he's not with us.