The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Don't think we are in a position to laugh or joke about any other team manager ,players in players out ,we must have wasted quite a lot of money the past few years .Mark like  every body else deserves a other chance at management and good luck to him .

After he had a go at us?You’re backing him up!!

Never airdrie

His “maybe it’s because I played for Celtic” comment left a bad taste - seemed completely without foundation.

Well within his rights to leave and given the shambles that followed probably the sensible decision. Can’t say he pulled up any trees at Airdrie and still not clear on who was picking the team between him and Dalziel!

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

Has he had a team relegated before. ???  His only season in management he managed to get to the promotion playoffs.

The heavy caveat there though is that if Andy Ryan and Iain Russell hadn't scored nearly 50 goals between them we'd have been mid-table/bottom half of the league at best. His team, which were full-time, conceded almost 70 goals, got cuffed 5-0 by Stenny, put in a dismal performance at Livingston at Christmas when we were still relatively in with a chance of top spot (if Kevin Schmidt was still running around the Toni Macaroni arena today he still wouldn't have scored) and a series of other pathetic performances including against the Rovers, eventually relegated Queen's Park and the infamous midweek night at Brechin. The luminaries he signed were Kyle Hutton, Jack McKay, Simon Mensing and Jordan McGregor. I'm not sure you could consider any of them even a qualified success. We might have made the play-offs but I don't think anyone was confident of success and so it turned out. 

For me the worst thing about Wilson was that he always had an air of superiority about himself. Like he was bigger and better than Airdrieonians Football Club. That was reflected in comments like "Airdrie fans are difficult to please" and his maw/granny/auntie commenting on the Airdrie facebook page with "you're Airdrie what did you expect!!" after we got cuffed by Livingston and after pretty much every defeat when she would always leap to his defence. His "they didn't like me because I played for Celtic" comment after he left was pathetic. We didn't not like you because you played for Celtic, we didn't like you because you were pish at your job. 

As others have mentioned too, there's the doubt over whether it was really him or Dalziel that was in charge also. 

He seemed like he was done with management once he left us so I am shocked he's taken a job at another SPFL club. Even more shocked that another club would actually offer him a job though.

Edited by airdrieman

The heavy caveat there though is that if Andy Ryan and Iain Russell hadn't scored nearly 50 goals between them we'd have been mid-table/bottom half of the league at best. His team, which were full-time, conceded almost 70 goals, got cuffed 5-0 by Stenny, put in a dismal performance at Livingston at Christmas when we were still relatively in with a chance of top spot (if Kevin Schmidt was still running around the Toni Macaroni arena today he still wouldn't have scored) and a series of other pathetic performances including against the Rovers, eventually relegated Queen's Park and the infamous midweek night at Brechin. The luminaries he signed were Kyle Hutton, Jack McKay, Simon Mensing and Jordan McGregor. I'm not sure you could consider any of them even a qualified success. We might have made the play-offs but I don't think anyone was confident of success and so it turned out. 
For me the worst thing about Wilson was that he always had an air of superiority about himself. Like he was bigger and better than Airdrieonians Football Club. That was reflected in comments like "Airdrie fans are difficult to please" and his maw/granny/auntie commenting on the Airdrie facebook page with "you're Airdrie what did you expect!!" after we got cuffed by Livingston and after pretty much every defeat when she would always leap to his defence. His "they didn't like me because I played for Celtic" comment after he left was pathetic. We didn't not like you because you played for Celtic, we didn't like you because you were pish at your job. 
As others have mentioned too, there's the doubt over whether it was really him or Dalziel that was in charge also. 
He seemed like he was done with management once he left us so I am shocked he's taken a job at another SPFL club. Even more shocked that another club would actually offer him a job though.

I would give McKay another try tbh was never gonna dislodge Ryan and Beany

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I'm not sure I agree with the extent of how bad he was. Yes he was lucky he inherited Ryan and Russell who scored loads of goals, but if we apply the same logic then we have to be fair and say he inherited an utterly hopeless set of defenders and a 17/18 year old goalkeeper (who was/is talented but was not ready for the first team), which was by far and away the main reason we lost so many goals. We lost on penalties in the play-offs, and would have faced Brechin in the final, it wouldn't have taken a huge change in events for us to have been promoted. I'm not for a second saying he was any good, but equally there's no real evidence he was rubbish either. He was only there for 7 months and was totally meh. The Dalziel thing was just plain weird and did not do him any favours. If you're not ready to manage on your own then you shouldn't be doing it.

Completely agree with the bit in bold though. I always felt like he didn't really have any awareness or understanding of football at this level. I don't mean on the pitch during 90 minutes, but everything else. He had never really played at this level and there was always the sense that he felt that he was above it. As you say, his comments when he left back this up, a mixture of arrogance and delusion. Will be very interesting to see how he gets on at Brechin.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not sure I agree with the extent of how bad he was. Yes he was lucky he inherited Ryan and Russell who scored loads of goals, but if we apply the same logic then we have to be fair and say he inherited an utterly hopeless set of defenders and a 17/18 year old goalkeeper (who was/is talented but was not ready for the first team), which was by far and away the main reason we lost so many goals. We lost on penalties in the play-offs, and would have faced Brechin in the final, it wouldn't have taken a huge change in events for us to have been promoted. I'm not for a second saying he was any good, but equally there's no real evidence he was rubbish either. He was only there for 7 months and was totally meh. The Dalziel thing was just plain weird and did not do him any favours. If you're not ready to manage on your own then you shouldn't be doing it.

Completely agree with the bit in bold though. I always felt like he didn't really have any awareness or understanding of football at this level. I don't mean on the pitch during 90 minutes, but everything else. He had never really played at this level and there was always the sense that he felt that he was above it. As you say, his comments when he left back this up, a mixture of arrogance and delusion. Will be very interesting to see how he gets on at Brechin.

A fair and sensible post,  this will never catch on ffs

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/otl-podcast/id1458037240

Podcast preview of the Bohemians match. Piece with a Bohemians diehard and then a catch up with Caolan McAleer.

Bohs likely to have around 100 and looking for pubs. Hope they are made welcome and have a similar experience to the Sutton fans - although hopefully with a defeat!

8 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/otl-podcast/id1458037240

Podcast preview of the Bohemians match. Piece with a Bohemians diehard and then a catch up with Caolan McAleer.

Bohs likely to have around 100 and looking for pubs. Hope they are made welcome and have a similar experience to the Sutton fans - although hopefully with a defeat!

Think they'd be best checking with pubs in advance to see which ones are taking away supporters. Apparently the cops have spoken to landlords warning them a large contingent from the East End of Glasgow are expected through with the Bohs.