The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think all we’re missing is a big target man up top, it’s pointless for Hutton to pump long balls up the park to get headed straight back at us. Leon looks like a class player, really composed on the ball and was happy with Millars performance again, him and Crighton have been the most consistent players so far.

I think all we’re missing is a big target man up top, it’s pointless for Hutton to pump long balls up the park to get headed straight back at us. Leon looks like a class player, really composed on the ball and was happy with Millars performance again, him and Crighton have been the most consistent players so far.

We’re missing a target man up front. If we’d had someone like that in there today we might have nicked 3 points. But the stats show it - Clyde game aside, we have scored 2 goals in the other 4 league games. I think Murray thought Roy was going to be a bigger producer than what he is or even can be. I hope I’m wrong about that but doubt it.

eHappy to get a point and it was a better organised and energetic  side. I know Clyde took 3 and it looks like a chance lost to match their result, but after last week's debacle it was important to avoid a defeat. It looked really defensive when I saw the lineup but it was actually reasonably pleasant on the eye. That back 3 was better than last weeks and handled their front two well and were not exposed like last week. The midfield four worked really hard, especially McCann and McDonald put in a good shift, and I liked McKay in there because he can actually run and Millar was much more like the guy we saw at EF. The experiment of Thomson in behind then to support Gallagher and Smith did produce some good attacks tho' it rarely had the right finish. Good shot  by Gallagher almost got the opener.  Had Smith headed in rather than past on the restart it would have been fully merited. As to their offside goal I was not expecting a flag so I will wait on highlights, but it was a relief.  Falkirk looked like a Dundee Utd rejects and Arbroath were much better at this stage last year ( and all of it)  but with that squad and the money behind them ,they will be the scalp for everyone else. Overall results today show how tight this L1 is. Good to see us applauding the team off. Wedderburn may have been injured but we did not miss him.

Edited by Chapelhall chap

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes a decent point today ,but at the risk of being a clone again ,how are we going to win games .if we are pleased with a point at home we will end up in the wrong half of table .

Would have taken a point even before last week but after last week's shambles, I'm pretty happy with today's performance and result. You are right though, we do need to be clinical and generally speaking we're still lacking in creativity. I'm concerned we still haven't found the right balance yet but hopefully it will come with time. 

Gallagher player of the month,must have been that overhead kick that swung it,for me it would have been Crighton ,had his best month in a Airdrie jersey ,Omo .young lad from Hamilton seems a good prospect ,can see him reaching a higher level .no surprise E-Fife  beat Rovers ,seem to have plenty of goals in them from midfield against us ,but have a good strikers aswell as proved on sat .

4 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

3-0 up against East Stirling last night - finished 3-3.

Should our reserve team not be doing better,  Full time a couple of first teamers  on display or is it down to coaching,   Murray let it slip in the programme on saturday,  that he was the only coach for the full timers which I hear is 27 players,  Sean Crighton has been added  last week after leav ing his morto n gig.   How can one coach train, nurture and improve players when he has so many.   I believe fitzy, Prunty and Low are all part time..   This surely has to be addressed this Hybrid model really is make it up as you go on.

10 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Should our reserve team not be doing better,  Full time a couple of first teamers  on display or is it down to coaching,   Murray let it slip in the programme on saturday,  that he was the only coach for the full timers which I hear is 27 players,  Sean Crighton has been added  last week after leav ing his morto n gig.   How can one coach train, nurture and improve players when he has so many.   I believe fitzy, Prunty and Low are all part time..   This surely has to be addressed this Hybrid model really is make it up as you go on.

Results of coaching are the performances on the field,

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Ian Murray takes all the training sessions himself? That's a huge shift from how he operated previously - he barely ever involved himself in training with us and let his assistant (Jack Ross/Beuzelin/Mark Spalding) do all of that. 

Most of the team that played last night were under 20's. We were 3-0 up until we had a man sent off and let it slip. The reserves are still undefeated.

The reserve league is always quite hard to gauge. Results fluctuate for most teams (probably) because one week you might have a plethora of first team players playing and the next week it's just a bunch of young boys playing. Last year for example Scott Robertson, Ben MacKenzie, Scott Stewart, Sean McIntosh, Dean Cairns, Joao Victoria and Cammy Russell all played in one game I went to. The next time I went it was exclusively young players. I'm not sure how many first team players were playing for the Shire but the reserves are still unbeaten at the moment which I think is decent all round. 

27 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Kristi marku ,is he on loan or have we signed him on full time contract .

Permanent signing. Don't know his contract status but I would guess full-time?

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

You've answered your own point. Ian Murray and the part time coaches realised they required more help, hence Sean was hired. No making it up as you go along - the staff identified a shortcoming and the board provided the funds to make it happen. That's improving the club.

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

The reserve league is always quite hard to gauge. Results fluctuate for most teams (probably) because one week you might have a plethora of first team players playing and the next week it's just a bunch of young boys playing. Last year for example Scott Robertson, Ben MacKenzie, Scott Stewart, Sean McIntosh, Dean Cairns, Joao Victoria and Cammy Russell all played in one game I went to. The next time I went it was exclusively young players. I'm not sure how many first team players were playing for the Shire but the reserves are still unbeaten at the moment which I think is decent all round. 

Permanent signing. Don't know his contract status but I would guess full-time?

Thanks  for that ,