The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

O Reilly is out with a groin injury and could be long term, I am sure it said he was being sent back to St Johnstone for intensive treatment.    Are we still in the market for players or has that ship sailed until January.

That's a shame I really liked the look of him. In that case I wouldn't be against trying to get another winger in before the end of the month.

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

McKay over MacDonald for me and I think a midfield pairing of Roberts and Hawkshaw against Falkirk would be madness. Wedderburn may not have covered himself in glory last weekend but realistically either him or Millar has to play. Would like to see Hawkshaw get more game time but I can't see how he fits into a 442 other than out wide. Arguably too lightweight to play in a central pair and I see him as more of an attacking midfielder you'd play just behind the striker. As for Reilly he's a 17 year old that I know next to nothing about. Must have got him on loan for a reason but I'm not shouting for him to be starting games yet. Gallagher and Smith up front is a must imo and I wouldn't mind seeing Carrick on the left but what's wrong with Euan O'Reilly? He's an actual winger as opposed to playing strikers there.

Would it be madness though? I’m sure you’re right in that at least one of them will play. But after a full season + 8 weeks Millar still doesn’t do anything for me. And while he’s had some decent games I’m not fully convinced by Wedderburn either. For all they’re supposed to be make us more difficult to beat we haven’t won a game when both of them have started (including a 2-2 draw with Queen’s Park) and on Saturday we were 2-0 down within half an hour. We’ve kept two clean sheets the whole season, one against a Colts side. Falkirk fans have admitted that the best way to play against them is to run at at them, attack and don’t give them any space. Quick nippy players like Hawkshaw and Roberts (and possibly Reilly) are going to do that whereas Wedderburn and Millar are not. 

I do agree though it’s a shame about O’Reilly. Getting the ball out to our quick wingers has probably been our most effective form of attack so far so losing him is a blow. 

Would it be madness though? I’m sure you’re right in that at least one of them will play. But after a full season + 8 weeks Millar still doesn’t do anything for me. And while he’s had some decent games I’m not fully convinced by Wedderburn either. For all they’re supposed to be make us more difficult to beat we haven’t won a game when both of them have started (including a 2-2 draw with Queen’s Park) and on Saturday we were 2-0 down within half an hour. We’ve kept two clean sheets the whole season, one against a Colts side. Falkirk fans have admitted that the best way to play against them is to run at at them, attack and don’t give them any space. Quick nippy players like Hawkshaw and Roberts (and possibly Reilly) are going to do that whereas Wedderburn and Millar are not. 
I do agree though it’s a shame about O’Reilly. Getting the ball out to our quick wingers has probably been our most effective form of attack so far so losing him is a blow. 

Agree that we should only play one of them but to play neither is madness, even if they haven't looked great. Hawkshaw and Roberts are both attack minded and playing both would leave us exposed. Would even rather put Cowan back in there than play two attack minded centre mids in a 442.

15 hours ago, Passionate said:

Looking at that side it is bang average,  no consistent goals in the entire team,  massive game on saturday.  The one change which I think will happen in the coming weeks Scott Gallagher to replace David Hutton between the sticks.  Hutton has struggled this season and IMO Gallagher is a better keeper.

Raith have just added John Baird ,another goal threat .

17 hours ago, Passionate said:

Looking at that side it is bang average,  no consistent goals in the entire team,  massive game on saturday.  The one change which I think will happen in the coming weeks Scott Gallagher to replace David Hutton between the sticks.  Hutton has struggled this season and IMO Gallagher is a better keeper.

Agree with that feel like that will happen as soon as Gallagher is fit. Feel like we’ll set up very defensive tomorrow to stop them playing, not like us eh...

1 hour ago, Stevo1968 said:

Agree with that feel like that will happen as soon as Gallagher is fit. Feel like we’ll set up very defensive tomorrow to stop them playing, not like us eh...

Don't think we are able to defend that well,if we invite Falkirk on to us there will only be one result,got to get in their faces and attack,even though we must be the only team without proper striker .

Don't think Falkirk looked any better than us today, game could've went either way. Very impressed with McCann and I thought Kerr came in and done well too. Good game for a 0-0.

I thought we competed well today and, if we had lost, would have still taken consolation.

Thought about commenting on the match thread but didn’t want to interrupt the Falkirk fans meltdown.

Yes a decent point today ,but at the risk of being a clone again ,how are we going to win games .if we are pleased with a point at home we will end up in the wrong half of table .

If we play like that every game we’ll win enough . Problem is, we won’t always play like that.

If we play like that every game we’ll win enough . Problem is, we won’t always play like that.

Enough to keep us comfortably in mid-table?

Said I would take a draw before the game so happy enough. Thought we had a let-off though when Falkirk put the ball in the net as I’m sure we had 3 men on the line.

We’re not clinical enough which will cost us. Too often played a pass in front of goal when a shot was on and shot from distance when a pass/through-ball was the better option.