The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Thoughts on Josh Campbell?

Took a few games to get going at this level but thought he was probably the best out of our three loan players towards the end of last season (the others being Declan Glass and Jordan Houston). A defensive midfielder, works hard around the pitch and wins the ball effectively. Not got a lot of creativity or much of a passing range on him but should be neat and tidy enough on the ball. Struggled in a few games too but he was/is very inexperienced. Actually gave a f**k too unlike some of the more experienced empty shirts we had last season. 

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Was there some concern about them having an Irish cup game that day or did I misread an earlier post? I would be quite happy at that KO time as I had some other plans on Saturday evening which might have been impacted by extra time and penalties!  Had a look at Bohemians "European" travel records and they are well ahead of us in historical terms. The game is of course played on the park and not in the archives, so I predict a win!

Yeah, if they win their cup tie tomorrow night then the next round clashes with our Challenge Cup tie. https://leagueofireland.com/loi/fai-cup-fixtures/ 

I assume they told the club this when agreeing the 13:00 kick-off time... 

They are the favourites tomorrow night but the ideal scenario is that Longford Town win then we have nothing to worry about. 

On 21/08/2019 at 20:18, CapitalDiamond said:

Mr Bohemian. I’ve sent you a DM if you could come back to me?

Thanks

Colin

DM sent! Nice to have the fixture confirmed, as far as I’m aware we may be moving our cup game here if we win tomorrow. Will yous play a full team for this fixture? Much of a crowd turn up? 

Edited by Bohemian FC

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Yeah, if they win their cup tie tomorrow night then the next round clashes with our Challenge Cup tie. https://leagueofireland.com/loi/fai-cup-fixtures/ 

I assume they told the club this when agreeing the 13:00 kick-off time... 

They are the favourites tomorrow night but the ideal scenario is that Longford Town win then we have nothing to worry about. 

So which competition takes precedence if they are in the FAI next round? Do International competitions have priority? 

From the Challenge cup thread there is a Bohemian fan post saying if they are in the QF on that day, they will get a postponement as they have several U21 playing in International game, so they will field a "weakened" ( my words") team in Airdrie. Hope we play a strong team! Should we win it looks as if the next round is on International weekend in October and I will miss it! 

Worried before kick off when I seen the line up. Too defensive by a long way and even then EF exploited the three at the back to great effect from the second goal onwards.

We never got to grips with Liam Watt, on the left and cuts inside to finish. Did no one inform our players of his trademark move? Like others I feel we are weak in terms of being an attacking unit. We seem to have one ploy which is to get Thomson to the bye line to put a cross in. If he doesn't perform then we seem incapable of unlocking a defense any other way.

This game highlighted what we all know in that we need a quality creative midfielder who can drive at the opposition and create chances and a forward up front with height and presence.

We were well beaten today by a good side but on this occasion the manager must take blame for the original setup.

This game highlighted what we all know in that we need a quality creative midfielder who can drive at the opposition and create chances and a forward up front with height and presence.
We were well beaten today by a good side but on this occasion the manager must take blame for the original setup.

Correct.

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

It’s alright SM and IM will sign another 16 year old and everything will be alright,keep the faith emoji5.png

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

It’s alright SM and IM will sign another 16 year old and everything will be alright,keep the faith emoji5.png

Yes, we will be some team in the future ,east fife team from the start knew to a man where and what is expected of them ,they looked today streets ahead of this hybrid thrown together bunch ,it seems to be up to the players what they do and don't do in this case .you have a long way to go. Mr Murray before you call yourself a manager .

Yes, we will be some team in the future ,east fife team from the start knew to a man where and what is expected of them ,they looked today streets ahead of this hybrid thrown together bunch ,it seems to be up to the players what they do and don't do in this case .you have a long way to go. Mr Murray before you call yourself a manager .

f**k bettering other teams youth players we should be improving our own,Murray and Millar should hang there coats on the peg on the way out today for signing that utter dross

2 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Utter pish

mckay, Fordyce, Hutton and Millar miles off it! Clocks ticking for Murray 

I am reluctant to single out individual players but I would include Wedderburn today and for much of the season. I thought the back three early on exposed Fordyce but he was better at CB. Don't know how Hutton slipped for the opener but had no chance with the others as we got done from the wide areas. Players out of position and continual changes each game ( and during) don't lie with the players. Murray was getting some strong individual pelters today, most of it deserved.

Really don't know how a team in this league could have a player and play a system to suit Wedderburn ,Raith obviously felt the same ,need someone a bit more mobile in this league .think we still have some good players but in their preferred position .

Obviously home and away fans see players and games differently but I thought Wedderburn was far from the worst Airdrie player on view and was surprised when he was taken off so early.

You had decent spells in possession but didn’t look capable of scoring (apart from the wee Christmas present at the end)

1 hour ago, ewan_fife said:

Wedderburn would be better at centre back

Bizarrely, if you watch the second goal that is exactly where he runs to. The position that Watt scores from is exactly where one of our two defensive midfielders should have been screening across and blocking a shot. Instead Wedderburn runs straight back towards goal even though there is no-one to mark, and Watt has a free shot at goal. We play with 2 defensive midfielders yet neither of them are to be seen when a guy cuts inside and has a shot from the edge of the box in the middle of the goal. 

Edited by Diamonds are Forever