The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Eckersley did not have a good game last week in my opinion, he needs to be pushed like everyone else to maintain his standards. Not surprised to see a move in that position, the left back for Hamilton was a standout in the team the other night.  Agreed that we need a tall striker with goals in him...who doesn't?

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Someone might have to drug test Sean Crighton after that performance. Outstanding.

His charge forward was the only exciting and committed part of that dire first half, and a later one in the second half , showed what it means to him. When that early corner was conceded I just thought Goodwillie would score and maybe the wind helped him! We were so far off the pace which allowed Clyde to keep a grip on the game despite not really threatening Hutton. There were long grumbles from the punters in the concourse at half time, and it was no surprise to see the team sent out early. That quick goal for Roberts turned the game and guys who were second to everything, were now getting close to the Clyde players.  Even though I don't get Murray's positional changes it was finally good to see both Carrick and Thomson having a real go at the FBs.  It was helped by Clyde replacing a quite stuffy RB with a poorer defender but Thomson did what you would hope to see more often. Great to see Carrick get the second and what a marvellous piece of skill from Gallagher to make me breathe more easily. It was a game of two halves but we need to see more of that second one. I would also be keen to see the Thomson Yellow simulation card as it looked a clear penalty to me (Biased) . Roberts had a much better 2nd half and his confidence should be growing. As to the daft Clyde young team getting at the fat Hutton, they are free to give the banter, but they can't cry foul when the six pack comes back at them  . Good crowd today despite the price sensitivities.

What a Jekyll and Hyde performance that was. I thought Crighton had a cracking game, had Goodwillie in his back pocket. McDonald done well aswell in his natural position. Happy with Dale getting his 2nd goal in 2 matches hopefully this is where his form and confidence grows! [emoji815]️

First half totally forgettable  - Clyde sat in after their goal but we weren't at the races - too slow, couldn't string any passes, and making a bang average Clyde look comfortable - our first shot on target in the 48th minute after Sean Crighton's thrusting run forward. Second half we were far the better team, Thomson skinning their defence, Roberts making a pass and some good runs, Smith upfront working his socks off holding up the ball, Brown doing a power of work as wing back., the defence in general looking comfortable. The managers substitution worked with Gallagher making an immediate impact with an assist for the second ( I would have taken off Roy sooner but who am I?) and a lovely goal for the third.

But what was really positive for me was when Airdrie went 2-1 up they didn't panic - they continued to play football, counting the clock down.  We looked comfortable.

Special mentions for Craig Thomson who was superb second half,  Sean Crighton who had Badwillie in his back pocket, Callum Gallagher for coming on and turning the match and to Dale Carrick for tireless running and his goal - feck knows why he was singled out on Tuesday because the whole team were pish - but if you know anything about football he aint a "headless chicken".

Edited by Roger Thornhill

First half totally forgettable  - Clyde sat in after their goal but we weren't at the races - too slow, couldn't string any passes, and making a bang average Clyde look comfortable - our first shot on target in the 48th minute after Sean Crighton's thrusting run forward. Second half we were far the better team, Thomson skinning their defence, Roberts making a pass and some good runs, Smith upfront working his socks off holding up the ball, Brown doing a power of work as wing back., the defence in general looking comfortable. The managers substitution worked with Gallagher making an immediate impact with an assist for the second ( I would have taken off Roy sooner but who am I?) and a lovely goal for the third.
But what was really positive for me was when Airdrie went 2-1 up they didn't panic - they continued to play football, counting the clock down.  We looked comfortable.
Special mentions for Craig Thomson who was superb second half,  Sean Crighton who had Badwillie in his back pocket, Callum Gallagher for coming on and turning the match and to Dale Carrick for tireless running and his goal - feck knows why he was singled out on Tuesday because the whole team were pish - but if you know anything about football he aint a "headless chicken".

Dale carrick is a good football player and a team player he ain’t a goal scorer (yet!) but he tries 100% and basically runs about like Kante but upfront [emoji23]

As others have called out, today was a complete game of two halves.

A few fans around me giving Crighton dogs abuse for the goal but for me Hutton should be steamrolling everything in his way to get to that ball...Goodwillie was about 4 yards out when he scored the header!

Second half was much better - I thought we were much more positive and direct in attack. Deservedly took the lead via Carrick and the third from Gallagher was just different gravy!

Still early days with the squad. I know he splits opinion but I like the look of Wedderburn.....he's never going to turn a burst of pace and beat a player but he's calm and collected on the ball, never wastes possession and is as strong as an ox (I particularly liked today when he threw one of the Clyde players around like an empty trackie!)

Also liked the look of Roberts and Thomson today. Roberts showed some great touches - he seems like a good creative midfielder which I think we need to balance out Wedderburn in there. Thomson's pace will cause teams problems too. 

Great to see the reception for the players at the end...well deserved after the first half showing. 

On 13/08/2019 at 23:01, Passionate said:

He is one of the forwards Murray is banking on to fire us to the championship,   scored tonight and seems to have taken on scot Stewart's mantle as the housewives favourite..  I agree he is hopeless and seagal is pish tae.

"Housewives favourite"  Carrick scores  and "pish" Gallagher scores a rather non-pishy goal - I'll go back to being a housewife/person (just in case I am offending)

3 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Agree with your points but who is our wing back "Brown"? (McDonald?)

First half was rubbish, second half was excellent. That change was nothing to do with tactics or systems, it was because they actually started to play with intensity, drive and aggression, rather than the slow, passive stuff in the first half. It made us look like an entirely different team.

We need to be playing with that mindset every game, and hopefully the players saw how the fans will react (win or lose) if they do.