The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If Airdrie fans are expecting a load of hipsters to turn up from bohs according to victor they are gonna be seriously disappointed! The fans that will make the trip are anything but! I’d expect a couple of hundred to make the trip along with a good few from Glasgow’s good team!

32 minutes ago, Bill said:

If Airdrie fans are expecting a load of hipsters to turn up from bohs according to victor they are gonna be seriously disappointed! The fans that will make the trip are anything but! I’d expect a couple of hundred to make the trip along with a good few from Glasgow’s good team!

Glasgow doesn’t have a good team. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

We Airdrie fans do not do sectarianism very well.

I went to St Margarets and I can assure anyone veiwing this page there are a lot of us who did not toe the party line as we are Airdrie!

Any time we play Celtic,  or a Celtic minded team, I'm embarrassed that my fellow fans turn into a toxic parody of Rangers.

Stop All The Sectarian Bollocks!

2 minutes ago, StopAllTheBollocks said:

We Airdrie fans do not do sectarianism very well.

I went to St Margarets and I can assure anyone veiwing this page there are a lot of us who did not toe the party line as we are Airdrie!

Any time we play Celtic,  or a Celtic minded team, I'm embarrassed that my fellow fans turn into a toxic parody of Rangers.

Stop All The Sectarian Bollocks!

I used to rock up to St Margarets for my Sixth Year Physics and got a lot of "Rangers lost at the weekend, haha!" pish for the crime of wearing the uniform of one of the other schools in the town.  It was water off my back since I couldn't give two f's about the Rangers score and I was used to seeing my team lose anyway (being an Airdrie fan is character building).

Never had any real bother there though, possibly because I was reasonably well acquainted with a couple of the school hard men through mutual friends.

Jesus this page has been fucking awful.  I was looking forward to a bit of interest and something different, similar to last years game against Sutton, but I'm dreading it now. 

and that article thingy about the Boh's fans is incredibly try hard. 

This cup is a weird one for me. I'm against anyone other than Scottish senior teams being involved, and if given a vote would vote to go back to how it used to be,  but at the same time when we draw a "foreign" club it is quite interesting on a game by game basis.

Bit embarrassing that we draw an irish team and instantly folk bring up the rangers and celtic P!sh . Whats next? Singing Rule Britannia and bringing nothern ireland flags to away games?.... 

Edited by Rossm25

I was always astounded that John Reid was MP for Airdrie & Shotts. I'm no expert on Airdrie, but I know a couple of very staunch Rangers fans from the town. Most Airdrie fans are of that persuasion. Like almost everywhere else in that part of Scotland, there is a significant Catholic minority and plenty of Catholic churches, but it's a Rangers town.

I don't know whether to take this seriously. It seems to imply that as John Reid was a Roman Catholic ( and former member of the Communist Party?)that he was unusual in being MP for this constituency. You don't seem to have noticed that Helen Liddell , of similar background, was also the MP for much of the area. Indeed since 1959 James Dempsey was MP for Coatbridge and Airdrie for an even longer period. Even the thankfully departed Pamela Nash had that background! She is of course now a staunch Unionist.   It may well be true that there is  a "significant" RC minority but in 2019 it is just as likely that other religious groups are now minorities. The biggest minority would be more likely to be abstainers from organised church going. As to being a "Rangers town" I suspect now the EPL has as many followers. You certainly are no expert. maybe it was just a wind up.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

True, Bill. I doubt the hipsters will be travelling. They generally don't stretch to paying €5 for a beer at the ground, buying cans at Tesco & sneaking them in if they need a drink to get through a game, so splashing out on a trip to Scotland won't appeal. 

I doubt the lairy hangers-on will travel either, so Section B can save their Sunday best for another day. 

I've not been to a Bohs game for two years, so I'm not up to speed on things. They pull 2,000+ every game now, so maybe a good few will be up for the trip. I'd still guess at 100 rather than 200, but 200's not impossible if a few keen fans can generate some enthusiasm. 

Edited by Victor von Doom

17 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I don't know whether to take this seriously. It seems to imply that as John Reid was a Roman Catholic ( and former member of the Communist Party?)that he was unusual in being MP for this constituency. You certainly are no expert. maybe it was just a wind up.

John Reid is/was about as Catholic as Baruch Goldstein was a Mohammedan. It's more his positions as Defence Secretary, Norn Iron Secretary & Home Secretary, his acceptance of backhanders from the likes of Radovan Karadzic, his role as the public, snarling face of those ***** G4S, etc. that made him an odd choice for a sound town. (His inability to handle his alcohol and his fondness for a square go were less unacceptable.)

As with everywhere else these days - rural Ireland included - abstainers from religious services are an overwhelming majority. I'm sure there are other "religious" minorities in Airdrie these days, one of which will attend religious services in impressive numbers.

Where's Baruch Goldstein when you need him? 

Edited by Victor von Doom

47 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

21year old maybe a bit to old for us,

33, 29, 27, 22

19, 24, 28, 24

22, 19.

Subs:  22, 25, 24.

Our first team's ages last Saturday.

As per usual you act like a petulant child.   When Scott Gallagher is fit there will be 4 regulars in our first team squad who are 19.   Kyle MacDonald,  Callum Smith, Euan O'Reilly and  James Cowan,  all of whom are worth a spot.  The remaining first team players are in their 20s and 30s.

Time to stop all your bollocks JR.

2 hours ago, Victor von Doom said:

John Reid is/was about as Catholic as Baruch Goldstein was a Mohammedan. It's more his positions as Defence Secretary, Norn Iron Secretary & Home Secretary, his acceptance of backhanders from the likes of Radovan Karadzic, his role as the public, snarling face of those ***** G4S, etc. that made him an odd choice for a sound town. (His inability to handle his alcohol and his fondness for a square go were less unacceptable.)

As with everywhere else these days - rural Ireland included - abstainers from religious services are an overwhelming majority. I'm sure there are other "religious" minorities in Airdrie these days, one of which will attend religious services in impressive numbers.

Where's Baruch Goldstein when you need him? 

Add to that the fact that he probably didn't give his constituency his full attention while he was busy being Chairman of Celtic.

He was parachuted in to Airdrie as it was a safe seat for Labour at the time (that is no longer the case) and his Motherwell constituency was disappearing due to boundary changes.

The numptie who replaced him was a worse embarrassment.

In his defence, he stood up to the Scottish Labour Party (McConnell and Kerr), who were in government at the time, as they tried to railroad through the closure of the A&E dept at Monklnds.  If it wasn't for him and the subsequent shift to an SNP administration at the next election, Monklands A&E would have gone.

56 minutes ago, StopAllTheBollocks said:

33, 29, 27, 22

19, 24, 28, 24

22, 19.

As per usual you act like a petulant child.   When Scott Gallagher is fit there will be 4 regulars in our first team squad who are 19.   Kyle MacDonald,  Callum Smith, Euan O'Reilly and  James Cowan,  all of whom are worth a spot.  The remaining first team players are in their 20s and 30s.

What about rest we signed for the future ,

Maybe make a come back if that starts up again [emoji636][emoji41]

Bit embarrassing that we draw an irish team and instantly folk bring up the rangers and celtic P!sh . Whats next? Singing Rule Britannia and bringing nothern ireland flags to away games?.... 

1 hour ago, StopAllTheBollocks said:

33, 29, 27, 22

19, 24, 28, 24

22, 19.

No it's time that you stopped all your bollocks, Mr Establishment!

On 17/07/2019 at 23:16, DiamondOwl said:

Okay there's a smattering of players left, but very few young players. Prediction: Cammy Russell will be next to leave.

You heard it here first! ....

All the best Cammy. Another player that shouldn't have gone. It''s wonderful how Murray is reshaping the squad into an exciting, attacking, entertaining, group of players. From the comments on here it's obvious  people are really enjoying watching this far superior squad to the dross of last season. 

6 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

No it's time that you stopped all your bollocks, Mr Establishment!

You heard it here first! ....

All the best Cammy. Another player that shouldn't have gone. It''s wonderful how Murray is reshaping the squad into an exciting, attacking, entertaining, group of players. From the comments on here it's obvious  people are really enjoying watching this far superior squad to the dross of last season. 

What an absolute mess you are.

Hopefully the team will lose on Saturday just to cheer you up and give you something celebrate?

Then you can console everyone with tales of how you were correct!

Stop being like a child now!!you get up for signing news , then announced is a player for the future , even you must be a bit disappointed at that ,if you can’t see its right now we need a more attack minded team , then I must be all the shit  names right enough ,