The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

28 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

That was an awful game to watch tonight, Carrick is rotten, 

It was indeed awful but Carrick did get the winning goal. he did have an incredible miss from a Gallagher break and cut back which makes me wonder how that happens to a professional player . But then I  remember that big guy missing for Scotland and van Vossen  for some Glasgow team so maybe I will let it go. Against a young Accies team we could have had had several goals early on but once we scored we disappeared in any meaningful attacking sense. They were first to the ball/moved it on really quickly/ always found space/had loads of corners but without a good striker they could have played all night without equalising. Hutton did have a good save mind you and I was fearing Extra time. The constant chopping and changing of positions and players left me bemused ( and the players?) . Gallagher at CF then wide right: Carrick at CF then wide left then wide right/ Smith on bench and then left on his tod. Roy just on at end. The other clear weakness is that Cowan/Millar  are defensive and rarely link. When Roberts came on he was allowed a free midfield role going nowhere. The back four stuck at it and can't be blamed for having little options. I get the impression that Murray smothers any entertainment and tonight was a good example. Mind you two clean sheets in a row and through to next round and we all know  it is hard to play against a keen young team! Meanwhile Clyde thump Motherwell colts so Saturday should be interesting

14 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The back four? Kerr was awful. Poor passing and some dodgy attempted clearances. 

Agreed though that it was tough to watch. Performances like that will not put bums on seats. Especially at £17 a pop.

Was more defensively I was meaning, accies had a lot of the ball but never really cut open our back four.

Seems to be the only option tor defence on the ball is to go long.

I’m not one for criticising the team for the sake of it, but that was appalling tonight.

Gallagher and Cowan were particularly awful. Genuinely can’t see how Gallagher is a footballer at this level, never mind one that scored double figures for a poor Dumbarton side. I really hope he can prove me wrong but I can see him spending most of this season on the bench.

At the end of the day we’re in the hat for the next round and that’s all that matters. Hopefully we get a good draw.

I hate Murray’s idea of having all the players in the box defending corners. It allows the opposition to commit more players forward, and if and when the ball is cleared it’s to an opposition player and we end up under pressure. Whatever happened to the old adage that if you left 1 up, the opposition had to keep 2 back?

9 hours ago, Diamond legend said:

Headless chicken.

Manager said Carrick was excellent, statements like that will get us relagated.what does he say or do to players when they come here.Murray has seen a lot of Hamiltons youth set up over last 8months,pity he had not learned anything from it to benefit Airdrie ,Game tonight on par with last season to be honest we are a poor team that are going no place under Murray ,not up the way anyway .

I hate Murray’s idea of having all the players in the box defending corners. It allows the opposition to commit more players forward, and if and when the ball is cleared it’s to an opposition player and we end up under pressure. Whatever happened to the old adage that if you left 1 up, the opposition had to keep 2 back?

If you keep three up you’ve got to keep at least 3 back defending

I used to live next to the ground and I used to go. They've a few lairy hangers-on - some older generation, but mainly youthful - though they're maybe not Section B class. Games v. Shamrock Rovers usually see disorder. They were traditionally amateur and fairly middle class. Still sort of looked down on by other clubs due to that. More Fine Gael than Fianna Fail and nowhere near as "Up the 'RA!" as Shamrock Rovers. Now they're unbelievably PC. Beards, Palestine, Save the Gay Rhinos, vegan option, soya milk in their capuccinos. I doubt they'll bring many. Maybe 100 if the weather is OK. With all due respect, Airdrie is hardly a day out. They're third in the league just now, but they're part-time - one of only three part-time teams in it. The other pair are the bottom two in the table. Likely pay similar wages to Airdrie!

Here's a dig at them from a Shelbourne fanzine. "Pisser Dignam's Field" was the name of the land on which Dalymount Park was built.  

image_2016-05-13_00-23-51.jpeg

Edited by Victor von Doom

4 hours ago, Victor von Doom said:

I used to live next to the ground and I used to go. They've a few lairy hangers-on - some older generation, but mainly youthful - though they're maybe not Section B class. Games v. Shamrock Rovers usually see disorder. They were traditionally amateur and fairly middle class. Still sort of looked down on by other clubs due to that. More Fine Gael than Fianna Fail and nowhere near as "Up the 'RA!" as Shamrock Rovers. Now they're unbelievably PC. Beards, Palestine, Save the Gay Rhinos, vegan option, soya milk in their capuccinos. I doubt they'll bring many. Maybe 100 if the weather is OK. With all due respect, Airdrie is hardly a day out. They're third in the league just now, but they're part-time - one of only three part-time teams in it. The other pair are the bottom two in the table. Likely pay similar wages to Airdrie!

Here's a dig at them from a Shelbourne fanzine. "Pisser Dignam's Field" was the name of the land on which Dalymount Park was built.  

image_2016-05-13_00-23-51.jpeg

Hi all,

I would not take notice of this post above as it is mostly full of nonsense, I am not sure why political parties or the RA (wtf?) are brought up. There are a couple points that are true, we are from central Dublin just a few minutes outside the city centre and are currently 3rd in the league. We lost our top scorer a couple months ago (he broke his ankle) so our form since then has been very up and down. We played Peterhead away last season in the first round winning 1-0 before our match was cancelled vs East Fife. It’s an interesting fixture and an excuse to go to a new ground in a different country to see our team so there will definitely be a good few Bohs fans going over for this! We haven’t been in Europe for a good few years (fingers crossed this season) so this slightly fills that gap! In relation to side of the fence I’m probably naive in not knowing what yous mean (Celtic/Rangers?!) Will there be much interest in the game from Airdrie fans or is this game more of a hinderance?

If anyone has any tips on best way to get to the game, is it best to fly into Glasgow or Edinburgh and get a train/bus? 

Cheers looking forward to the game!

3 minutes ago, Bohemian FC said:

IMOHi all,

I would not take notice of this post above as it is mostly full of nonsense, I am not sure why political parties or the RA (wtf?) are brought up. There are a couple points that are true, we are from central Dublin just a few minutes outside the city centre and are currently 3rd in the league. We lost our top scorer a couple months ago (he broke his ankle) so our form since then has been very up and down. We played Peterhead away last season in the first round winning 1-0 before our match was cancelled vs East Fife. It’s an interesting fixture and an excuse to go to a new ground in a different country to see our team so there will definitely be a good few Bohs fans going over for this! We haven’t been in Europe for a good few years (fingers crossed this season) so this slightly fills that gap! In relation to side of the fence I’m probably naive in not knowing what yous mean (Celtic/Rangers?!) Will there be much interest in the game from Airdrie fans or is this game more of a hinderance?

If anyone has any tips on best way to get to the game, is it best to fly into Glasgow or Edinburgh and get a train/bus? 

Thanks for your info and I don't get the guys who immediately go to some sort of political questions either. The nature of the Challenge Cup with Colts teams has provoked a lack of interest but the invitation to other Leagues has been less challenged. ( your first round would be our second game)  I know the East fife stuff last year was not popular especially when it seemed that the League dates did not overlap. As to the best way to Airdrie, either Glasgow or Edinburgh has Motorway connections; Edinburgh has a rail connection from Waverley direct to Drumgelloch for a ten minute walk to Stadium, if it is a day visit. The bus connection is not as good IMO.  We were beaten by Sutton united last season at this stage and we don't look much better now. If your top scorer is out then maybe we will make a game of it. Hope you make it over.

1 hour ago, Bohemian FC said:

Hi all,

Probably best flying into and staying in either Edinburgh or Glasgow.  Airdrie sits on the trainline & motorway between the 2 - about 50 mins / 30 mins respectively from either.  Trains run every 15 - 30 minutes.

Plenty of choice of pubs in Airdrie town centre for before and after the game, and lots of choice of hotels and nightlife in the cities.

Just don't do what the Sutton Utd fans did and waste your time drinking in the 'Spoons on Sauchiehall St.  Glasgow has a great variety of pubs to offer if you chose to go there.

1 hour ago, Bohemian FC said:

Hi all,

I'm just answering the question! I might consider the question irrelevant... even though I'm a bloody H**! (Likely the only H** to be a regular attendee at Dalymount while I lived in Phibsboro.) Others wouldn't consider it irrelevant. Especially in parts of Airdrie. Question was raised about affiliation.  This is important in many areas of Airdrie. You're not going to deny that The Notorious Boo Boys are a mite PC, surely? Or the patrician (in soccer terms) inclination of the club.  

I assume you've not been to Airdrie previously. Not quite as architecturally pleasing on the eye as Dolphin's Barn, but same sort of social level. I was always astounded that John Reid was MP for Airdrie & Shotts. I'm no expert on Airdrie, but I know a couple of very staunch Rangers fans from the town. Most Airdrie fans are of that persuasion. Like almost everywhere else in that part of Scotland, there is a significant Catholic minority and plenty of Catholic churches, but it's a Rangers town.

Travel? It's closer to Glasgow than to Edinburgh, but we're only talking the difference between 20-odd minutes on a direct train & 40-odd minutes on a direct train and trains are frequent - not your 4 a day or whatever from Connolly up to Belfast or down to Rosslare. So wherever you can get a cheaper flight to will do.  

Like almost everywhere else in that part of Scotland, there is a significant Catholic minority and plenty of Catholic churches, but it's a Rangers town.

There are plenty of Rangers and Celtic fans live in Airdrie but they can f**k off if they think they get to claim the town as theirs. We leave that type of thing to Larkhall.

Coatbridge, on the other hand, is definitely a Celtic town.