The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

If we got a fee for him - fantastic. It was obvious he wasn’t going to play much this season so better getting something now than waiting until the end of the season and releasing him.

It's worth mentioning too that maybe the club had no intention of letting him go until a bid from Kelty came in, Cammy got wind of it and decided himself that he wanted to leave? I'd rather have had him around than not but if he wanted to leave to get more regular game time then I think it's a fair decision. 

11 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Said on here many weeks ago we need another striker, someone who has performed at this level or preferably from a higher league with a decent record and needs consistent first team football. If we are serious about getting out of the first division and getting prepared for Championship football we need to make a good quality signing. If any of our forwards get injured or hit a dry spell we are in trouble. And already, one goal in 2 games isn’t convincing. DoF talked about biding our time to get the best signings, let’s see if there is a desire to firm up the front line. We’ll need to score our way out of trouble in a few games this year and although I’m hoping to be proved wrong, there may not be enough there to keep us consistently in top 4

Calum Gallagher got 16(?) goals last season. He's proven that, when played upfront, he can score goals at this level. For some reason he's barely featured so far. Which I'm sure might have been part of the reason why Russell decided to go if even Gallagher can't get in the team at the moment. I'd like to see us start with Gallagher and Smith upfront on Saturday.

I think Smith is better than Russell so the comments about developing another team's player ahead of our own are a tad unfair. Was anybody clamouring for Russell to play ahead of Smith before last night? 

The jury is still out on Roy for me. Has some nice touches but struggles to make an impact on the game IMO, although possibly being stuck out wide hasn't helped. Probably doesn't help that he's playing beside and so will be getting compared to Smith who is involved in the game all the time. 

There's Carrick as well although as we know he's unlikely to get you many goals. 

Will that be enough? If they're all on form then yes, it should be fine. Any injuries or loss of form and we might start to struggle although that would probably have been the case even if Russell stayed. I guess Smith could technically be called back at some point too depending on the terms of his loan? There's Hughes and Pyott from the academy and reserves respectively too although Hughes is only 16 and Pyott has no senior first team experience. 

Millar said Murray is happy with the squad as it is at the moment so we'll just have to go with it. I do think a a partnership of Gallagher and Smith upfront would be decent enough for this level. 

3 hours ago, Moon said:

Young players need to be developed though. 40 games played across a variety of positions and on an inconsistent basis doesn't really demonstrate a real chance for the boys.

I'm not raging about the decision but I would have liked to see him given a run in the team. As others have said I'm not in to bringing in someones else's young guy with no experience and no history of league goals when we have our own who we could give an opportunity to.

Having said all that, it just goes to show what fans know. All of the young players who were expected to develop when they got their chance have now been punted. although to be fair Edwards has gone up a league.

Again, if they were good enough they would have demanded by their performances regular starts in their preferred position. The managers and coaches see these guys every week in training/youth games/reserve games and their first team appearances. It may sound harsh, but given how bad we've been the last few years if guys can't get themselves a regular game after 2-3 years around the first team it is because they aren't up to standard, not because of opportunities.

On the second point, I am absolutely up for bringing in other guys over our own if they are better. Smith is a better footballer than Russell so that is good with me. The priority is to get out of this league by getting the best team on the pitch. Developing our own youngsters would be nice, but it should never be at the expense of the quality of player in the first team.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Again, if they were good enough they would have demanded by their performances regular starts in their preferred position. The managers and coaches see these guys every week in training/youth games/reserve games and their first team appearances. It may sound harsh, but given how bad we've been the last few years if guys can't get themselves a regular game after 2-3 years around the first team it is because they aren't up to standard, not because of opportunities.

On the second point, I am absolutely up for bringing in other guys over our own if they are better. Smith is a better footballer than Russell so that is good with me. The priority is to get out of this league by getting the best team on the pitch. Developing our own youngsters would be nice, but it should never be at the expense of the quality of player in the first team.

I can't wholly disagree with your second point, largely because we need to get out of this league and I think we're all eager for that to happen.

But not developing youngsters for the first team is a poor long term strategy. 

28 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

That was an awful game to watch tonight, Carrick is rotten, 

He is one of the forwards Murray is banking on to fire us to the championship,   scored tonight and seems to have taken on scot Stewart's mantle as the housewives favourite..  I agree he is hopeless and seagal is pish tae.

6 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

My god that was tough to watch, back 4 done well, the rest...

no comment

The back four? Kerr was awful. Poor passing and some dodgy attempted clearances. 

Agreed though that it was tough to watch. Performances like that will not put bums on seats. Especially at £17 a pop.

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond