The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Absolute disgrace on Airdries part, arguably most natural finisher in the squad.   Good Luck to the lad,     

Agreed!! The young guys been really hard done by. Thought he was our only natural goal scorer. Don’t know what he had to do to get a run in the team - he had a terrific attitude and work ethic as far as I could see and he could score when given the chance. All the best and I hope this is a springboard for him.

Don’t know if I’d go as far as to call it a disgrace but I’m sorry to see him go. 

Was raw and very lightweight when he first broke into the team but you could see he had talent and potential. As others have said he was a good finisher. I know first team opportunities would (presumably) have been limited this season but would still liked to have seen him stick around. He was worth a few goals a season and you never know, maybe a sustained run in the first team could have resulted in him going on a reasonable scoring run. Maybe it was partly his decision too? Kelty are ripping the piss out the Lowland League at the moment so he should do well there. Best of luck to him. 

We were speculating on Saturday that he might be going out on loan again since he needed games at a competitive level. Continuing the Murray clear out and it is a pity that he was not given a chance this season. Can't have been much of a fee and at least we should not come up against Kelty ( Cup/ tea cakes cup?) whereas Captain Conroy is just over the horizon (if not hill) in Peterhead.

We were speculating on Saturday that he might be going out on loan again since he needed games at a competitive level. Continuing the Murray clear out and it is a pity that he was not given a chance this season. Can't have been much of a fee and at least we should not come up against Kelty ( Cup/ tea cakes cup?) whereas Captain Conroy is just over the horizon (if not hill) in Peterhead.

Better bring someone in or it’s a ridiculous decision by the Club,IM and SM

Said on here many weeks ago we need another striker, someone who has performed at this level or preferably from a higher league with a decent record and needs consistent first team football. If we are serious about getting out of the first division and getting prepared for Championship football we need to make a good quality signing. If any of our forwards get injured or hit a dry spell we are in trouble. And already, one goal in 2 games isn’t convincing. DoF talked about biding our time to get the best signings, let’s see if there is a desire to firm up the front line. We’ll need to score our way out of trouble in a few games this year and although I’m hoping to be proved wrong, there may not be enough there to keep us consistently in top 4

Love how the club talks about us getting a fee for Cammy, Scott Stewart etc. Realistically what’s it going to have been? A bag of balls and a set of bibs? The chat of cashing in on players because they only had a year of their contract left (in a league where the majority are signed for a season at a time and no one really pays transfer fees) was baffling.

Sorry to see him go anyway. Seems like first team football was key here and can’t blame him at his age. Hopefully Murray has someone in mind to replace him. Still plenty of time and he obviously didn’t see him as being a key part of his plans.

25 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

good move for Cammy ,Kelty a team that are going in right direction ,I would rather have their strike force than ours , we will likely sign  another  teenage midfielder ,and if he works hard he might go on loan to a junior side ,

Agree,  it looks more and more like a work in progress project,   very similar in fact to his team he helped in Norway.   Always remember we need out this league ASAP have we a squad capable,  

2 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

Like Dean Cairns, Cammy Russell didn’t get a fair chance. I get the impression with Murray that he makes his mind up on a player straight away and there’s no changing his mind.

Murray may be wrong about them, it is all about opinions, but I'm not having people saying that players weren't given a fair chance, every single youth player could claim the same thing. If you are good enough you will force yourself into the team and stay in it. Both of those players played over 40 times for the first team, they have had more opportunities than most young players could hope to get.

People have a very entitled attitude with young players these days, making out like the club/game somehow has an obligation to give these guys a career. The fact both the players you mentioned have had to move to the Lowland League suggests Murray's opinions on them are spot on. Good luck to the guy, but not fussed in the slightest he has moved on.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Young players need to be developed though. 40 games played across a variety of positions and on an inconsistent basis doesn't really demonstrate a real chance for the boys.

I'm not raging about the decision but I would have liked to see him given a run in the team. As others have said I'm not in to bringing in someones else's young guy with no experience and no history of league goals when we have our own who we could give an opportunity to.

Having said all that, it just goes to show what fans know. All of the young players who were expected to develop when they got their chance have now been punted. although to be fair Edwards has gone up a league.

Would have preferred keeping Russell ans letting Roy go. From what I have seen of him, he has no pace, cant beat a man and is limited in the goal scoring stakes, going by his record with previous clubs.