The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Wasn't able to go to the game today. Anyone who did make it able to comment on McKay or Roberts? Interested to see how they looked

McKay  was solid - no fannying about - "when in doubt kick it out" - as my old man used to say. Can throw a long throw in and made a couple of good tackles. Roberts is a player - made some lovely runs, made simple passes and dug in when he had to.  I think the boy is a talent (and I aint his dad, maw, aunt, uncle or dug)

33 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

McKay  was solid - no fannying about - "when in doubt kick it out" - as my old man used to say. Can throw a long throw in and made a couple of good tackles. Roberts is a player - made some lovely runs, made simple passes and dug in when he had to.  I think the boy is a talent (and I aint his dad, maw, aunt, uncle or dug)

Yes McKay looked better there and more natural FB than Fordyce who was much better at CB than Kerr. He also did more than his twin in this 90 minutes. Roberts has a mobility and strength as well as skill, so should retain his starting slot. I also think Crighton should be praised for his defensive cool in that dodgy spell. I can report that Ian Murray had a man sent up field at a corner!

Podcast with Dougy Allsop and Willie Marshall for anyone who’s interested in finding out what they’re up to in Mongolia.

Also available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Deezer, TuneIn and Amazon Echo (Alexa, Play OTL Podcast).

Quality not great on some of the recording down to doing it remotely but should give you a flavour of what they are up to out there.

14 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

13 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes McKay looked better there and more natural FB than Fordyce who was much better at CB than Kerr. He also did more than his twin in this 90 minutes. Roberts has a mobility and strength as well as skill, so should retain his starting slot. I also think Crighton should be praised for his defensive cool in that dodgy spell. I can report that Ian Murray had a man sent up field at a corner!

That's all encouraging to hear. I couldn't make it yesterday but very pleased to get the win, and first clean sheet of the season too. Disappointing to miss the penalty and not even get it on target but grinding out scrappy wins will be important this season and I'm pleased we were able to do so. Especially after last week's disappointment. 

Wee bit disappointed Calum Gallagher never featured at all though. 

Home to Clyde next week. We already know we can beat them and they got a doing yesterday. Would be good to get a (relatively) convincing win and turn the style on a bit at home. No doubt we'll get beat now.

My first trip to Montrose yesterday and thought I'd give myself 24hours rather than diving in as I usually do. Immediate thoughts yesterday after the game were usual pessimistic, glass half full stuff. Iin the cold light of day I thought the defence benefitted from Fordyce moving into centre half and Mckay looked ok at right back. While Eckersley looks decent he appears to have a tendancy to dive in. Gave away a free kick in the second half diving in at the edge of the box - Montrose fans were screaming it was inside. He also dived in and cost the penalty against Accies but I'd rather have that than McDonald's passive defending so I'll take the odd hit with him. I was moaning that the midfield couldn't string passes together yesterday but maybe I should give Montrose credit for that rather than look on it as our failure. Murray dropped Miller in favour of Roberts and it gave us a bit more going forward from midfield. I don't believe (and others appear to agree) that Wedderburn and Miller aren't suited to the same midfield so one had to go. Ally Roy isn't a left winger and was rightfully moved into the centre, slightly behind Smith. Seemed to operate a bit better than last week especially, although I'm not convinced by Roy. .

I think the biggest positive to take out of it is that Murray isn't scared to change things. Gallacher and Roy aren't wingers and we lacked width so he dropped one, moved the other central and brought in two wingers after last week's poor show, the two holding central midfielders didn't work so Miller made way for Roberts and Kerr messed up last week and was dropped for a defensive rejig. Maybe he's experimenting but I think it's going to be the first quarter before we see a bit of consistency and settled team and style. Was nice to come away from the game with three points, made the drive back more pleasant but it could easily have went the other way - I'll take it.  

Edited by 2lgm

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Wee bit disappointed Calum Gallagher never featured at all though. 

Home to Clyde next week. We already know we can beat them and they got a doing yesterday. Would be good to get a (relatively) convincing win and turn the style on a bit at home. No doubt we'll get beat now.

Murray brought on Carrick for Roy presumably because he is the busy bunny type for counter attacks, although we had gey few from then on that worked. Gallagher looks like a finisher from a more dominant style of play.  As for Clyde I would love to get another win but even in game 3 this league is the usual cliché of "tight". I saw both Goodwillie and Love scored so we will need to be resolute and clever in defence. Clyde look like a team that concede as often as score so it could be entertaining. 

31 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That's Ryan Conroy signed for Peterhead. Cannot wait for him to score a 30-yard free-kick against us. 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/peterhead-fc/boss-over-moon-to-get-conroy-into-blue-toon/

No doubt he'll have caught SteveMcormickitis and look like Messi every time he plays against us.